Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Why at night?

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Klamath Gold 
#1 · (Edited)
Why do they whelp at night? Dont they know that I am a solid daytime kinda guy? I like vanilla and tighty whiteys... maybe too much info... but why at night?

I am tired. I wanna go to bed. Shannon has been asleep since about pup #3 or so. We are now on #6. Is it wrong to wake Shannon up and tell her it's her turn?

Ok so we are on number six... a female. Amber is doing well and this has been rather stress free for her (if you excuse Teddy and the house guest - a rescued golden). I guess I should say the whelping has been rather stress free.

It's three AM on the west coast and the count at the moment is 4 females and two males. I think we are a little over half done. I am still hoping for only seven but Shannon is thinkin we're gonna have eleven. I hope not!

Perhaps we shall have photos tomarrow (after some sleep). IF I have a black eye in the photos... its because I somehow (accidentally I am sure) woke Shannon.

#2 ·
Congratulations, Amber. Hope all continues to go beautifully. Hope the humans get some sleep soon!

#3 ·
Update: #7, a male was born just a few moments ago. He was a little slow to start but seems to be doing well now.

Shannon woke up just long enough to ask "how many" and is out again.

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (aka, Teddy and Luke-the rescued dog) are now awake and out of their crates. They are so busy playing with each other that they really havent noticed the new arrivals. These two are THE MOST UNLIKELY pair. An 80 pound male golden and an 11 pound, 8 1/2 week old female black lab. They play and play and play. She does not back down from him! I think I am going to have my hands full with her! They will go inside his crate (x-large) and play... now if that aint a sight.

Gotta get. Champagne wishes and Caviar Dreams... I dont know why I said that.

#4 ·
They have to do it at night--otherwise it would be too easy!!!! Congrats anyhow!

#8 ·
Well folks it is 7:10AM on the West Coast. We are holding steady at 7 (3M, 4F). Shannon is now awake and so is Randee Anne. Amber is having contractions and Randee is by her side.

Teddy and Luke have been fed. Amber has been taken outside for a quick little break. She sought out the few patches of snow that we have and rolled in them. She is looking good. All seems well.

I am going to leave this operation in Shannon and Randee's very capable hands. I'll post again in a few hours.

Randy

#9 ·
Just as I hit "post" our fifth female was born. It's a house of girls.

#11 ·
How fun! I can't wait to train with the little guys when they get just a mite bigger!

#13 ·
I woke up from my little nap and she has not had anymore. It's been three hours. Done?

#15 ·
Eight is the final count. Amber is resting well with her pups.
I picked up a few hours of sleep after the last whelp at 7:16 this morning. Now that all has truly settled. I will try to catch cat naps the rest of the day. It may be tomarrow before I have postable pics.

#19 ·
Congratulations!!

#25 ·
Sorry guys on not getting photos out.... it has been a tough week.
The pups are all doing good and they are the least of my problems. All is well... it just seems like it's one thing after another!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.