Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Why are people up in arms over the existence of English Creme Golden Retrievers?

3573 Views 94 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  Oceanside
I may have asked this in an old thread...Forgive me, but I'm still not understanding...From a practical point of view, what's wrong with English Creme Golden Retrievers? What makes them different from other golden retrievers? Are there any breeders in this forum that support the existence of an English Creme golden?

Thanks for your feedback!
  • Love
Reactions: GoldRushGoldens
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Some people incorrectly say that “English Creams” are a different breed altogether. They are not. It’s one thing to use the words “cream” or “red” to describe a dog’s coat color and quite another to use color as a marketing ploy. From cream to red and all shades in between, they are just Golden Retrievers.
Well for better or for worse thats the way people describe their color, English Cream. It helps people looking understand more specifically what the breeders puppies look like.
If you ever registered a golden retriever in AKC, you'd have your answer. :)

Hint - there's 3 codes.
Have registered hundreds. So you prefer light is what you are saying. Great.

· Registered
21 Posts
Some people incorrectly say that “English Creams” are a different breed altogether. They are not. It’s one thing to use the words “cream” or “red” to describe a dog’s coat color and quite another to use color as a marketing ploy. From cream to red and all shades in between, they are just Golden Retrievers.
I think it helps buyers to have more information about the puppies. How is that a marketing ploy?

· Kate
24,961 Posts
Have registered hundreds. So you prefer light is what you are saying. Great.
Not a preference. :) Just breed education for people who might not know the breed very well. ;) People should look up the breed both AKC and GRCA, read and understand the breed standard, etc.

Other than that - I will say that I know very few good breeders who can say they registered hundreds of dogs....

· Registered
21 Posts
Not a preference. :) Just breed education for people who might not know the breed very well. ;) People should look up the breed both AKC and GRCA, read and understand the breed standard, etc.

Other than that - I will say that I know very few good breeders who can say they registered hundreds of dogs....
So because I have bred a lot of litters, I am not good. I have had 3 or 4 litters a year at my busiest, last year I had one. I have been breeding for 10 years. So maybe not hundreds, but probably over 100, enough to be able to respond to your comment that I had never filled out a registration form.

· Registered
21 Posts
Omg first of all: English cream is a food. Not a color of dog. No dog out there is “English cream.” And it does absolutely nothing but delude puppy people into thinking they’re getting a dog from the UK pedigrees when 95% of these animals are from Eastern Europe
I think they think they are getting a dog that traces back to English lines possibly, but it's mostly associated with a color.

· Super Moderator
3,458 Posts
I think they think they are getting a dog that traces back to English lines possibly, but it's mostly associated with a color.
It is not a color. English cream is not a color. I repeat: NOT A COLOR. No standard in any country in the world allows a dog to be called “English cream”. Canada and I believe the UK and FCI allow a dog to be registered as “cream”. Cream is a color.
If it were about informing your puppy buyers why not call them “-insert Eastern European country here- creams”. Because that won’t sell. “English” sells.

· Registered
66 Posts
"BYB named the breed as a marketing ploy?" That could be right NOW, but originally, the lighter colors did generally appear in dogs from overseas. I doubt it was a marketing play for them.
"If you ever registered a golden retriever in AKc, you would have your answer". Yet another snarky reply.

What is happening to this forum? A whole lot of so-called "experts" and "my dog is better than your dog" attitude.
I don't get it.

· Registered
21 Posts
I agree, it is not a color. Nonetheless it's the most common description used for a light colored coat in my opinion. I always educate people when I am given a chance, but its an uphill battle.

· Registered
21 Posts
So because I have bred a lot of litters, I am not good. I have had 3 or 4 litters a year at my busiest, last year I had one. I have been breeding for 10 years. So maybe not hundreds, but probably over 100, enough to be able to respond to your comment that I had never filled out a registration form.
"BYB named the breed as a marketing ploy?" That could be right NOW, but originally, the lighter colors did generally appear in dogs from overseas. I doubt it was a marketing play for them.
"If you ever registered a golden retriever in AKc, you would have your answer". Yet another snarky reply.

What is happening to this forum? A whole lot of so-called "experts" and "my dog is better than your dog" attitude.
I don't get it.
Thank you, I will never be that way. I am happy for the successes of others programs and the different visions. I don't get it either.

· Kate
24,961 Posts
Here's the thing.... if you were a legit breeder, you would not be participating in the two threads as you have or posted the comments as you have. You do have comments here from pet owners and these are to be expected because they love their dogs and are participating here because they feel defensive about their dogs, etc. That's fine, but if you are saying that you are a breeder, it is expected that you know more and understand better than the average pet owner. It's worth pointing out that there's a lot of legit breeders out there who never participate on this forum, but they follow. Sometimes it's because their names or kennel names are mentioned, etc... but you do not see them participating in very stupid threads like this.

A legit breeder is somebody that isn't in the breed to make puppies to sell. It's somebody that's in the breed to make adult dogs that they are dang proud of in their homes and in the books. They do not casually describe importing dogs from the shifty side of Europe and say they've never heard of anyone who imports goldens from the UK.

And as well, you have argued in quite a confusing manner here on color, but gist seems to be you use the term that buyers come to you looking to buy. Which is a marketing tool. It has nothing to do with breed education.

· Registered
2,813 Posts
Omg first of all: English cream is a food. Not a color of dog. No dog out there is “English cream.” And it does absolutely nothing but delude puppy people into thinking they’re getting a dog from the UK pedigrees when 95% of these animals are from Eastern Europe
Everybody knows if it ain't in the Crayola box, it ain't a real color! And how come when I googled English cream, it came up in French....creme anglais. The French already have their own fries, the Swiss have their own cheese and the Canadians have their own bacon. Why can't the Brits have their own thing without another country trying to horn in on it?

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Well for better or for worse thats the way people describe their color, English Cream. It helps people looking understand more specifically what the breeders puppies look like.
"English cream" isn't a color, it isn't a breed, and it isn't an acceptable descriptor for any type of Golden Retriever, period. The breed already has a parent club, a code of ethics, color descriptors and standards so neither you, nor the other BYBs out there get to decide that "English Cream" is going to be a part of the established vernacular. So no, ethical breeders and ethical owners will not be adopting that term, and anyone using it will have a stigma attached to themselves.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.