Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Why are people up in arms over the existence of English Creme Golden Retrievers?

3710 Views 94 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  Oceanside
I may have asked this in an old thread...Forgive me, but I'm still not understanding...From a practical point of view, what's wrong with English Creme Golden Retrievers? What makes them different from other golden retrievers? Are there any breeders in this forum that support the existence of an English Creme golden?

Thanks for your feedback!
  • Love
Reactions: GoldRushGoldens
I may have asked this in an old thread...Forgive me, but I'm still not understanding...From a practical point of view, what's wrong with English Creme Golden Retrievers? What makes them different from other golden retrievers? Are there any breeders in this forum that support the existence of an English Creme golden?

See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts

The term was made up by BYB breeders as a marketing ploy, and it’s nonsensical. Not all very light/cream goldens are from English lines and not all English goldens are cream colored. Whoever came up with the term and those who popularized it seem to want to give an air of specialness to certain goldens based on color (making puppy buyers vulnerable to getting tricked into paying huge amounts for litters based on color only) and breeding just for color isn’t a good idea.

For those who aren’t very familiar with goldens in general it also gives them skewed ideas, like that a cream colored golden is a different breed or a mutation, instead of the reality that all goldens are on a spectrum when it comes to color. Similarly, people misrepresent studies about cancer rates of golden in Europe leading to the misconception that dogs from European lines have lower rates of cancer, or that “English cream” Goldens will live longer.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The term was made up by BYB breeders as a marketing ploy, and it’s nonsensical. Not all very light/cream goldens are from English lines and not all English goldens are cream colored. Whoever came up with the term and those who popularized it seem to want to give an air of specialness to certain goldens based on color (making puppy buyers vulnerable to getting tricked into paying huge amounts for litters based on color only) and breeding just for color isn’t a good idea.

For those who aren’t very familiar with goldens in general it also gives them skewed ideas, like that a cream colored golden is a different breed or a mutation, instead of the reality that all goldens are on a spectrum when it comes to color. Similarly, people misrepresent studies about cancer rates of golden in Europe leading to the misconception that dogs from European lines have lower rates of cancer, or that “English cream” Goldens will live longer.
Thank you! That was helpful. Is it possible to get both pale-colored and regular golden colors in the same litter?

· Registered
10,848 Posts
Thank you! That was helpful. Is it possible to get both pale-colored and regular golden colors in the same litter?
yes it is possible to get a full array of color in a litter.

· goldenfan
932 Posts
Goldens originate from Scotland not England so that in itself makes a mockery of the description. Nearly all of the dogs that are cream coloured do not come from the UK but are imported from commercial kennels overseas. We have a wide range of colours in the UK from very pale cream to dark gold and all are acceptable under the UK/FCI standard. You can get all colours in one litter and all colours in one class at a show and to me that is a lovely thing to see. Annef

· Registered
3,769 Posts
They don't exist. That would be like me taking my dark gold dog and marketing it as a "fox red golden retriever." Doesn't exist. It's just backyard breeder made up nonsense.
I prefer Sedona Sunset Golden Retriever. It sounds rustic, posh and exclusive, but more importantly it sound like more money for puppies. *Sarcastic eye roll here.

· Lead Super Mod + Administrator
3,436 Posts
Yes
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Plant

Photo credit to @Arkgold

On the left is Peggie, who ended up a darker shade of gold, my Eevee is in the middle and is a medium shade of gold. The boy on the right ended up a very light sunny blonde if I’m not mistaken.

· Registered
3,769 Posts
Breeders who advertise “English Cream“ I have found are about 95% of the time doing a dismal job of being a good breeder. That 95% don’t have full and verifiable health certifications as they should. Also their lack of any focus beyond color creates dogs with poor structure and breed type.

Here is just one recent thread on this type of breeder and sadly this is common among ”English Cream” breeders.
Golden Retriever breeder

Here is a thread that I posted as a thought experiment as to why and how “English Cream“ breeders are making poor breeding choices.

Here is what the GRCA our not for profit breed club in the US has to say -

Personally, I love a good European dog and I don’t make my breeding decisions on color. I have gone to Europe myself to import and I have bred to pale dogs. Through All of that though were quality dogs and breeders who would never use that term.

The “English Cream” reaction is from the bad breeding practices and deception used by the breeders who propagate the term to take advantage of the public.

· Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
I’ll add that the public’s perception of English cream being in someway better or rare (because of lies and misrepresentation from bad breeders), has caused a big demand for something “unique”, “special” “rare” “healthier” — kind of like how everyone wants merle Frenchies and poodles and doodles now so everything is being poorly bred for color. This demand has kept these bad breeders in business and also likely led more people to cash in on the peoples ignorance and start breeding these ~English cream~ dogs.

· Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Yes, I'm running into more and more people who are saying they own a "Cream Retriever" - as if it's a totally different breed than a Golden Retriever. Even our local group that specializes in helping people capture lost dogs will often describe a pale Golden as a "cream retriever." I cringe every time, especially since, once they already own one, my window for educating them is already closed... sigh

One of my Goldens is pretty pale and I'm often asked if she's a Cream Retriever, and at least then I can say, "Well, no. That's not really a thing. She does have some European dogs in her background but she just happens to have a lighter coat...."

· Registered
3,769 Posts
As an eye opener for the OP -
These dogs are all American bred.
Community Chair Dog Competition event Dog breed

This girl is American bred-
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

And this boy I adore in Spain who holds several championships in Europe.

Trousers Dog Carnivore Chair Dog breed

While there may be shades of gold more commonly seen in the show ring based on location. All shades are in Goldens regardless of if the pedigree is US based or European based.

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Yes
View attachment 899326
Photo credit to @Arkgold

On the left is Peggie, who ended up a darker shade of gold, my Eevee is in the middle and is a medium shade of gold. The boy on the right ended up a very light sunny blonde if I’m not mistaken.
OK, OK, I give up. I will take all three....where can I come to pick them up?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.