Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that dogs always go for the squeaker to kill first? Murphy has just learned this trick in the last week or so, and now he runs around incessantly squeaking his toys trying to pop the squeakers in them, lol. It just seems like that's every dogs favorite thing to do, so why make toys with squeakers in them??

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Kind of like the prize in a Cracker Jacks box in my house. Makes me wonder if they would destroy a toy without a squeaker.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Mine are the same way. All the toys have been destuffed and squeaker taken out. And I keep buying stuffies still.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Gracie has all of a sudden gotten quite proficient at "sqeakectomys". She can now remove a squeaker from a toy while leaving every bit of stuffing still inside. Last weekend she de-squeaked 4 toys in about an hour.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Marley loves his squeaky tennis balls! He will sit with one in his mouth and squeak on it for hours, until he wears the squeak out!! Then they are not so much fun!!!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sierra is a stuffie killer too, if there's a squeaker, it MUST be removed.
She has a stuffed bear (non dog toy) that she plays with and finally couldn't stand the hard plastic eyes, after removing them she hasn't been nasty to the bear at all.
So for her, maybe it's hard object factor?
Karen

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Kind of like the prize in a Cracker Jacks box in my house. Makes me wonder if they would destroy a toy without a squeaker.
I have a funny story about that.....my husband brought home this stuffed AFLAC duck someone had given him. We decicded to give it to Riley. We were a little surprised when she bit it and it went, "AFLAC, AFLAC, AFLAAAAAC!" Pretty funny. She loved that duck and she went AFLAC-ING all over the house. She never chewed it up like she does the squeaker toys. Unfortunately I stepped on it and broke it. You could see the confusion on her face when she bit it and nothing happened. She still plays with it from time to time but nothing like before. I feel kinda bad about stepping on that duck.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I must have an oddball. Riley actually avoids the squeaker. When he does bite on it by accident, he'll drop the toy and stare at it with this puzzled look and sometimes he'll lick it, like he's trying to make up to it. I used to think that he was afraid of the noise, but after watching him do this for a while, I don't think that's the case. I almost think he believes that he's hurting it.

Gunner is my squeaker killer. The minute he gets a new toy, he insists on chomping on the squeaker until it's 'dead.'

·
Registered
345 Posts
Jacey does the same thing. I've had stuffing everywhere and squeakers torn out. I finally bought a toy bird that has a squeaker ball in the head and there is absolutely no stuffing. She'll play with it, but she hasn't torn it to shreds yet.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
My guys are the same way...if it squeaks.....it must be stopped!!! But like BeauShel....we keep on buying them ...and they keep desqueaking them. We have gutted toys all over the place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
EmmaRose has become an expert de-squeaker. I looked out in the backyard this morning and saw two squeakers laying out there. Last night she amputated the leg off of one of her stuffed puppies and had that squeaker out in nothing flat. She loves them though and I still buy them. Fortunately, she still plays with them once she has removed all squeakers and stuffing. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
True, true. It is indeed so true!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts