Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Who's the main person in your household training your golden?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a lot of female owners and was curious about the ratio of men: women.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I'm the one in the family who works with the animals. My husband loves them TOTALLY but I have the knack of paying attention to their body language; I "hear" them when they speak and I understand what they are saying.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I'm assuming Mom means doggy Mom. That would be me.

Reactions: Hina

·
Registered
158 Posts
Definitely me (mom). I bring him to work, take him for walks, take him to training class (although DH did come for puppy graduation!). DH (doggy daddy) is the "fun" one. He wrestles, swims and throws the ball around with Sampson. Our doggy parent roles are actually very similar to our human parent roles when raising our 18 and 20 year old daughters! Lol!

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,945 Posts
Definitely me (mom). I bring him to work, take him for walks, take him to training class (although DH did come for puppy graduation!). DH (doggy daddy) is the "fun" one. He wrestles, swims and throws the ball around with Sampson. Our doggy parent roles are actually very similar to our human parent roles when raising our 18 and 20 year old daughters! Lol!

It's the same in my household. I'm the one who takes care of them, grooms them, trains them, and he's their fun playmate. He wrestles with both of my two where as I don't. I do walk them and play with them outside though.

My DH was the same when my son was growing up too, but I will say my DH was working 7 days a week and 120 hours a week when our son was growing up, he didn't have the time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all! Hope I wasn't too confusing! I'm not a mother to kids yet, but I'm a doggy mom :)

I tried to get DH to be Hina's trainer since he has a lot more doggy experience than I do, but that never happened. I walk her everyday and handle her in training class. It's a learning experience for the both of us :)

At golden playdates, I noticed many women providing primary care and training for their golden.

DH is good at playing games with Hina, nail trimming, doing all the other things I'm not so good at or never get to :)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I wouldnt let me check 2 I do most of the training but my son also works with Jige. He is the one that actually worked on Jige sitting and waiting for the bumper to be thrown. I was still working outside the home at that time. My son is a very good trainer I would like to think I am not too bad since I did get him his started title and one leg in rally so far.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just me. I'm a widow so I am the only one Wilson has. With my first golden it was my youngest daughter and I but after she moved out and my husband passed away it was just me and has been for a number of years.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My Dh was in charge of training our last dog. He did a lot of research, and had a certain way he wanted to train.

Because he wasn't really ready for a new puppy and I was, I took full responsibility for training and caring for Rocket. It was a learning experience for both of us.

I think DH regrets it a little bit that he hasn't been more involved in training Rocket, because Rocket doesn't listen to DH nearly as well as he does to me. LOL! I've used a very different approach to training Rocket than he used with Bruce. He tends to default back to the training style he used with Bruce, which doesn't really work with Rocket.

·
Finley and Banshee's Mom
1,414 Posts
It's just me for the most part. In Finley's class there are 2 men and the rest are woman. One of the men brings his wife to class, but she doesn't work with the dog. The other guy is married, but I've never seen his wife.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Like other responses here, I too do all the dog training, feeding, vet visits and DH spends his time undoing much of all the work we do, much like he did when our two daughters were home. Haaa! I am the one who demands they obey, he is their buddy and lets them get away with murder. I take them to classes and work with them each day, he takes them fishing and lets them roll in fish smelling dirt! We laugh a lot, but when they are good they are mine, when they are being silly..they are his!

·
Registered
211 Posts
My BF is the main one although I will continue with his methods and we will work together when I'm home. I get up with her in the mornings for her breakfast and train with her. But because the BF works from home, he has the ability to work with her all day when he isn't busy. When I come home it's like "playtime" because I'm more "fun" while with my Bf it's either he's working and not paying attention or training. Seems like the balance works though

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
I do most of the training for Mercy. I tried to enroll Mercy and my husband in a Basic class, but he didn't do his homework.:p: Mercy loves daddy more, even though I train her more. I mean he stays home with her when I go to work. Mercy runs to Peter when called. One day, I was walking Mercy in the neighborhood when my husband drove by unexpectedly and he was telling me that he needed to run to the store for something. Mercy of course jumped up to greet my husband. Then, when my husband drove away, Mercy kept turning around and facing in his direction for 5 minutes before I could get her to continue down the sidewalk with me.:D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts