Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At certain times of the day the sun light comes in just in a way that Kye can see herself in anything glass in the den. This leads to friendly, licking, butt wagging and finally (out of frustration) continuous barking. She doesn't understand that that doggie in the window can't play with her. This barking goes on for almost an hour!!! Making me deaf and even though I sit on the floor at the glass and show her it isn't real...she doesn't understand and is totally deaf to "Hush". I have tried getting Kye occupied in other games, go outside...she will only be distracted for a few minutes then I find I am alone outside, ball in my hand...no dog, cause she is back inside barking at that dumb dog in the glass. She literally moves from the glass under the TV stand, to the window..

Thinks she really wants that doggie in the window to play, but the barking and total deafness to my commands during this time is teeth shattering. I have placed her in her crate, but she feels she has done something wrong. The only thing that works it to put a blanket over the TV stand and move a large chair in front of the window to block her views. This is very funny, but she honestly takes this so seriously and wants that doggie so badly to play with her!

Any suggestions other than black paint?

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I think she will grow over it...Have you ever put her in front of a large mirror? That's very interesting, too. When we took puppy class, there was a large mirror wall that fascinated a lot of the pups for weeks, on and off...Tess is almost two, and is still surprised when she sees herself in het glass in front of the fireplace. What the instructor had us do, was walking with the pup along the wall, playing in front of it, making the pups conscious of the fact that that was the place where that funny dog appeared. After a while, it got normal.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I agree will grow out and then you will miss it. I remember Maxine would see her reflection and be SURE there was a dog outside to play with, so we would let her out, she would look around, then see her friend is now inside... repeat multiple times. I want to say the next year when the light was right, she didn't do it. I still laugh about how ANNOYING it was, but also so very very cute.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Jordan wants to play with the doggie in my oven. She doesn't bark..yet, so I think it's cute.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This truly speaks to how clean you all keep your windows, mirrors and stoves. I lost the nose print battle months ago...no doggies in our stove or just outside our windows to play with.:uhoh:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Can you just close the curtain?
Does she have any doggies to play with in her life?

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Our closets have huge mirrors on them and Remy spent about a month taking toys to the other doggie to play with. We ended up with a big pile of toys and lots of nose prints on the mirror. He would also stand and bark, like, "come on! Play with me!" At times it was annoying, but he doesn't do it anymore and I kind of wish he did...

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
That is funny...and I can see how it would get old very fast. Can you block the window with a piece of paper taped up or something like that? Maybe a shade or blind?

Our Penny used to look at the reflection in the black oven door. Now she does it with the black fireplace glass. She's actually watching ME, because when I wave at her she turns around and comes to play. Amazes me that she understands the reflection is of stuff behind her. That seems like a pretty abstract concept for a dog!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think it comes with the puppy handbook. I heard Henry barking and growling one night. I went into the bathroom to find him attacking himself in the mirror in the dark. lol He also likes to chase our shadow on the side of the garage when we're out walking. Goofy dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts