Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Who sleeps with their golden?

3K views 59 replies 44 participants last post by  sophie,sadie,hannah's mom 
#1 ·
So yesturday I go to my boyfriends house and I don't even know how it all began but I had my boyfriends mom and her boyfriend telling me how it is possible that I sleep with a dog in the same bed. Anyways... she's an idiot and that's that. People are always getting in others business and either way I don't see why sleeping with your pup(s) is so bad to begin with. I can honestly say that when Lucy jumps on my bed I get very happy, she is so warm and cozy its one of the best feelings ever.

So pretty much I just wanted to know who shares their bed with their golden(s)?

:D

#5 ·
Only my older Whippet- because there's no room for more. I do let them all play and nap on the bed, as long as they're clean.

When I am ready to sleep, though, I only let Rigby stay. He doesn't move at all and doesn't disturb my sleep. In fact, he is extremely comforting to me. So I totally understand.

#7 ·
I don't--we always slept w/our dogs, but dealing w/the beagle's incontinence the last few years of his life (nothing like rolling into a puddle at 3am) made me rethink it when we got Sherm. Plus, the kids often wind up in there w/us...so he sleeps in his crate at night. He's never known different and is totally fine w/it...I do miss reading snuggles though!

#8 ·
Goldens are just too funny. When I step out of my room and leave Lucy unattended (only for a few minutes or less) when I come back in she is on my bed looking like a little golden princess. They do the funniest things and have amazing personalities.

#9 ·
Sadie (lab) has lst rights to bed & for young Bridger it isn't worth getting growled at. Obi will not get on bed.

Bridger gets on bed after I get up in AM & snuggles with DH (I was pretty jelous for awhile). Sadie is to zonked out care at that time of AM.

#15 ·
At bedtime they do their outside business and then all 4 of us get into bed (queen sized...it's tight) ...Both lie right between us on their backs and we have "family cuddle time" said in a really high pitch voice that they both love :) After Bailey realizes the petting has dried up, she quickly leaves us for cooler pastures such as her crate or the kitchen floor...but Burg stays with me until I fall asleep...and then moves down to keep my feet warm all night.

DH is OCD - and is very paranoid about hair and dirt in the bed...so our bedding gets washed pretty much every other day...but he would rather do that than make the pups sleep on the floor...

#17 ·
At bedtime they do their outside business and then all 4 of us get into bed (queen sized...it's tight) ...Both lie right between us on their backs and we have "family cuddle time" said in a really high pitch voice that they both love :) After Bailey realizes the petting has dried up, she quickly leaves us for cooler pastures such as her crate or the kitchen floor...but Burg stays with me until I fall asleep...and then moves down to keep my feet warm all night.

DH is OCD - and is very paranoid about hair and dirt in the bed...so our bedding gets washed pretty much every other day...but he would rather do that than make the pups sleep on the floor...
Your pups are so beautiful. What a great family.

#18 ·
I do. We try to sleep with all three, but Finn gets huffy if a foot touches him and goes to sleep in "his" bed in the guest room. Tally stays all night and snuggles. Tango gets too hot mid way through the night, and hops down to sleep on her back on the dog bed.

#19 ·
Daisy won't sleep in my bed with me. She'll tuck me in at night but after a few minutes, she gets down to go to her own bed. I always protest :p:

But, if I leave the house even for a few minutes, she goes right upstairs and gets on my bed and, I believe, stays there until I get home.

I have a feeling these people in your family will be scratching their heads a lot as the years wear on :)

#20 ·
There isn't enough space for two humans and a dog in our bed (just a double), but I get up much earlier than my SO, so on cold mornings, I'll come back from the shower and find that Comet has hopped up into my warm spot to snuggle.

We'll often snuggle all together before we go to sleep, and our plans down the road include a bigger bed (California King, anyone?) so we won't have to boot dogs off anymore.

#21 ·
I would if they would! When I was sick over the winter, Bear started climbing in bed with me, but he gets hot really quick, so he may start out there, but ends up on the floor.
Bonnie is just not a in our bed kind of dog! She prefers her own space all to herself!
I wish they would both sleep with me all night! :)

#24 ·
I told myself over and over that no, Flora would not sleep in my bed... But she does. She'll sleep in her plastic crate from about 10-7am, and then she'll stand quietly by my bed and /stare/ until I peep over the edge of my bed. Then she's smiling and groaning and wagging her tail, so I pick her up and put her in bed with me so we can sleep for another 45 minutes or so. She'll burrow right underneath my neck and mold her body around my head. It's weird, but she keeps my head warm, I guess. :p:

#27 ·
Kasper is either on my bed or right next to me on the wooden floor if the room is to warm, but if I get up to go get a glass of water or to go to the bathroom he has to protect me and follow me and make sure I am safe and then we come back in the room and he goes back to sleep:p:

you know I can't stand people when they say YUCK HOW CAN YOU HAVE YOUR DOG IN YOUR BED, I just get soooo upset I mean don't comment on my life you know I don't comment on yours right sheesh:doh:

#30 · (Edited)
Mine won't. During the winter she sleeps on her pillow at the foot of the bed. I guess it's warm to her so she likes it there. The rest of the year, she might sleep in the den, kitchen floor or bathroom. When the sun comes up, she does want in bed and I let her come up. She will let me sleep another hour or so but then will nudge me as she is ready to be fed. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.