Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,628 Posts
I did some shopping on line yesterday-I have my Mom DONE. Gifts are ordered, are being wrapped and will be shipped soon. She lives out of state, so this was so easy for me.

I got some great deals yesterday-Half price, I SAVED more than I spent-Woo Hoo!

Now if I can just get my son to tell me what he wants so I can get his Christmas and Birthday (12/27) gift, so I can be done with him.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Canadians have implemented Black Friday shopping as well - to keep us spending our $$$ in Canada - but I've opted ;);) to work instead :(:(. I just keep telling myself how much $$$$ I'll save.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
I WANT to go out shopping. But I'm penniless this month. :(

My budgeted Christmas spending money is paying for a complete brake job for my car. o_O

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I WANT to go out shopping. But I'm penniless this month. :(

My budgeted Christmas spending money is paying for a complete brake job for my car. o_O
You do what you have to do & hopefully others will understand.

Hubby & I have decided to significantly reduce our shopping list this year. Hubby work in road construction & was laid off early but the main reason isn't financial - there are those we've been most generous with who just don't appreciate it.

Years ago, I started getting a very nice Christmas bonus & work & decided to share with our immediate family - kids & grandkids. Well, last year I didn't even get a "Thank you" from the two step kids so guess what - they're not getting it this year. We picked them up a very small gift and we're expecting a very negative response but I honestly don't care. Step DIL actually had the nerve to call last year asking for her $$$$$ early because she saw something she wanted to buy. :doh::doh: Hubby & I have never been involved in any Christmas celebrations with his adult kids either as they have chosen to spend it with their mother - every year for the past 7 years - but they do make a point of picking up their envelope ;);)

Are the gifts this year cheap or tacky? Not at all as I hit a going out of business jewellery store & purchased up to $300 watches for $20.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I don't like to shop either especially in a store, I even hate grocery shopping.
Me, too. I grocery shop in about 15 minutes. Hate it.

I usually only shop online. I worked in a mall for 20 years and it got worse every year. Way too many people for me. The last two years all mall employees were required to park about 1/2 mile away from the mall and then they bused us in. Sometimes the buses ran late, so you'd get to work late. It was awful. :yuck:

So yeah, I don't do malls anymore...

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I worked retail for too many years to ever find any joy in Black Friday shopping. People are idiots from then till Christmas, and that may be politically incorrect, but it's how I feel.

And I did the same thing with the ungrateful relatives, the year my niece called and asked for her gift card early so she could shop did me in. I told her to never mind, I'd just go buy something I really wanted for myself instead of the $5 piece of crap she planned to get me with my money. She wasn't happy.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I just got back. I've never been before and just expected pure insanity, but that wasn't the case. I left my house at 7:30 went to Petsmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Costco, Grocery Store and Starbucks in less than 3 hours. I couldn't believe how empty the stores were. Got some great deals and Bentley's presents are done :p:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
No shopping for me either. I hate shopping, even grocery shopping has been delegated to husband.

This year we've made life easier and oh my what a stress relief! We've decided to draw names and it will be a Secret Santa year. We won't even divulge who bought for who in the end. We're also doing a Yankee/Chinese Christmas game as well, which will make things fun. Limit is only $50 for the exchange and $20 for the game.
I'm a new and proud "ceecee" to a first grandchild, and I definitely have to buy her a gift :D

I figure Christmas will cost us a whole $300.00 this year including meal.

Too bad we had to spend 7,000 on an overhaul for the truck this week :( This could have been a record year!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I just got back. I've never been before and just expected pure insanity, but that wasn't the case. I left my house at 7:30 went to Petsmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Costco, Grocery Store and Starbucks in less than 3 hours. I couldn't believe how empty the stores were. Got some great deals and Bentley's presents are done :p:
The fact you didn't encounter a ton of people means one of two things:
1. The economy is still in the tank and people are cutting down, or
2. They are shopping online, saving time, gas and energy.

I hope it's #2.

I dread going to grocery stores and even places like Costco during the period between TG and Xmas--too many people crowding the parking lots, stores and check out lines. So happy online shopping is so easy. I'm 99.9% done- need to get something for my Dad at Costco and that's it! Since I buy a lot of my fruits and veggies there anyway it's a double duty shopping trip.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have had a hard year here, actually over a year, so i am going to get my husband some things, he needs them, and my brother and his wife ,are having a hard time,want to help them, family should help i think, if possible. with mikes cancer, i want to get some things he just wants, the man never ask for anything.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I worked retail for too many years to ever find any joy in Black Friday shopping. People are idiots from then till Christmas, and that may be politically incorrect, but it's how I feel.

And I did the same thing with the ungrateful relatives, the year my niece called and asked for her gift card early so she could shop did me in. I told her to never mind, I'd just go buy something I really wanted for myself instead of the $5 piece of crap she planned to get me with my money. She wasn't happy.
Good for you! My step DIL actually made a calendar with pictures of her kids on it, family birthdays, anniversaries etc & I thought that she might be coming around. WRONG!!!! When I got home & looked at the calendar, I noticed one birthday was missing - MINE! When my hubby asked his daughter about this omission, her comment was "Oh, well!". That calendar went in the recycling box immediately!

Reactions: laprincessa

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Not leaving the house today. DH & I put up the outdoor Christmas lights since it's a warm (61F) sunny day.

I hate shopping in crowds so I've never done the Black Friday thing. Most of mine is finished anyway.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
got my free bag of Fromm....that's it, only "purchase" I'll make today. Heard on radio that BB&B was almost more clerks than customers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts