Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bacardi has been doing very well with potty training. Earlier this evening she was in her crate, and she started to whine, which is a cue she needs to go potty.

I have been rewarding her with treats when she pees and poops. Tonite, and it is 11 degrees here... we go out, she pees right away and then finds the right spot to poop. I am waiting patiently, for her and did not hurry her. I figure since she did both and I am now freezing, we can go into the house.

Inside, I reward her for being a good girl, take off the leash, take off jacket, boots, hat, scarf, mittens.... get something to drink and then call her to come back and go into the crate. She runs to the back door and scratches, (another sign she needs to go out) .. Since we have just been outside less than 5 minutes ago.. I'm thinking to myself there is no way she has to go again. I sit down on the floor... call her.. she ignores me and goes over to the door again. (note: She is not wild about the crate, but tolerates it).

After her 3rd scratch at the door, I figure.. she might just have to go again, so back on go the jacket, boots, hat, scarf, mittens and I put the leash on her.. We walk into the back yard and the 6 inches of snow, and boom.. She pees again and she poops again. OK.. now what is THAT?? :doh:

She is tooooo smart for her own good actually. She has gotten used to getting that treat when she poops or pees, and sometimes, only goes a little and tries to get 2 treats out of the job. I have tried alternating when I give her the treat.. from.. only when she pees or only when she poops to only when we come in.

I mean this little sneaker has squatted and watched for me to dig out a treat and not even peed!! :no: :yummy:

Suggestions??

·
Kristie - GQ's Mom...
332 Posts
That is too funny - both my dogs do the same thing - even little Satchel, he's almost fully trained now - all I have to say is 'Good Boy' and he comes a running because he knows he's getting a treat - and Ive seen him do the pretend pee too! Sneaky little buggers......Im just happy he stopped peeing on my carpet, for the most part anyways - if he wants to trick me into a treat, atleast I know he has associated it with OUTSIDE....lol, I thought I was the only sucka!!!

·
Kristie - GQ's Mom...
332 Posts
Satchel is 12 weeks and 4 days - they are smart little buggers!!! Thank god for my boyfriend because I give in way too easy - my dogs would never get trained and be a million pounds from me not being able to stand the 'please give me food stare' - but getting yelled at from my BF is worse.....

How is Bacardi (awesome name btw) doing with chewing? Satchel is for now, only on the shoes.....actually the laces - and he pulls the carpet mats all over the house but doesnt chew them.....

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
That's why I don't use treats for house training! But, keep in mind that at that age, they don't always have the physiological control to squeeze it all out at once, so sometimes they really do need to go again a few mins later and aren't just doing so as a way to ration their pee to earn more treats.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bacardi has found she likes paper/cardboard. No shoes, etc. Atleast not yet! But magazines are just so addicting. :)

Thanks Steph. That makes sense too. But when she is watching me, then squats and doesn't go, I don't give a treat. Within minutes, she is going for real. lol She did it to my daughter first, and Jess said she went over and looked, but she hadn't gone and game right over for the treat. lol stinker.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Ha Ha! I told you that was a smart litter, and Bacardi was one of the smartest :) Thankfully Green didn't catch on to the whining and scratching just to go out and play!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Linda, :p: Bacardi ... You just would not believe. She knows how to sit, (working on stay) and she has the general idea for that.

Today for some reason, we are not scratching at the door. We are just squatting and peeing wherever we what to. A minor set back I think.

How is green doing? Does he have a name yet??? I mean, Santa Dog needs to know who to put on the card. GEEEESH!:doh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts