Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested to see who has their puppy alone at home for any amount of time.

Can you please tell me the age of the pup, how long he/she is on their own for and how you're getting on with 'accidents'

This info would be really hlpful and we appreciate it, thanks!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Lucy is home from 7:30 until 4:30 in her crate. When she was smaller (she's 5 months now) DH used to go home on lunch and let her out, feed her and play with her some. She doesn't have accidents in the house or crate *knock on wood*. Even when I was home over Christmas and she was out of her crate, she'd just sleep all day long.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Murphy's never had to be alone for more than about 5 hours, but he never has accidents and he doesn't have to be crated. He gets blocked in the kitchen unless we will be gone less than a half hour. Then he's allowed to roam the house.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Bailey is good now when we are gone. We have been gone for 8 hours at Christmas and she did not have any accidents.

When she was 5 months old is when we first let her run in the house alone for an hour or two at a time. If she had an accident, it would be next to the door in the kitchen.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank isn't home regularly all day alone but over the holidays we were gone out for the afternoon or evening sometimes 7 or 8 hours, he had no accidents. He was 5.5 months then. He's gated in the laundry room.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Dory is home alone with Lucy on ugly days like today. She's five months old and may have a pee pee accident by the door, but that's it. We close off the upstairs rooms and our bathroom downstairs. The girls mostly sleep, either in out bed or on the couch. Bart will go home between 11-12:30 and let them out, then I'll go home between 1:30 and 2 to let them out and give them lunch.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Molson is home for 9 hours alone, not crated anymore. No accidents while he's been alone, he did have a few of them while we were home though, until he was about 5 months.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looking good then.

Our pup has just turned 12 weeks. Cant find someone to watch her on tuesday for 4-5 hrs, between the two of us we couldnt agree on wether she should be left alone for that time.

If she is, she could either be left in her cage, or left in the kitchen with the door shut. Our kitchen really is quite big, even I could run around it and I'm over 6ft.

Whats your opinions?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd say crate her. Less chance of accidents and getting into something she shouldn't. For me, it's just less to worry about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would leave her in her crate. She may actually be more comfortable in the confined space, especially since she is still pretty young. She would probably be less apt to have an accident too.

Our pup Scout is 6 months old and he is left home alone 3 days a week. He likes his crate so he is still crated during those days (my husband comes home at lunch to let him out). We are hoping to start leaving his crate door open during the night (it is in our room) and see how that goes. I think it may be a while before he will have the run of the house during the day when we are both gone though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree. The crate is a wonderful tool. We leave our 4 month old home alone 3 days a week for 3 hours a day. We've never had an accident in the crate. He actually loves his crate - I've tried letting him sleep on the bed with us and he always jumps down and goes in his crate (I leave the door open). I was soo happy when he went in by himself.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
looking good then.

Our pup has just turned 12 weeks. Cant find someone to watch her on tuesday for 4-5 hrs, between the two of us we couldnt agree on wether she should be left alone for that time.

If she is, she could either be left in her cage, or left in the kitchen with the door shut. Our kitchen really is quite big, even I could run around it and I'm over 6ft.

Whats your opinions?
For 4-5 hours, I'd crate. But tire her out before you leave so she'll "sleep it off" while you're gone!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
5 hours, I would say is too long in a cage. There is a good chance that she will need to have a wee and I would much rather a puppy have a little accident than them HAVE to sit uncomfortably holding it through fear of having to sit in a urine sodden bed. If we can't be there frequently enough to let them out for a wee then they should not be forced to hold it! When a puppy needs to wee, it needs to wee!!

When she is an adult she will be able to hold it that long.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
For 4-5 hours, I'd crate. But tire her out before you leave so she'll "sleep it off" while you're gone!
Okay, I totally wasn't paying attention. I was thinking your pup was 5 months, not 12 weeks. Yeah, at 12 weeks, 4-5 hours may be too hold to hold it. I'm revising my answer! Gate in the kitchen or use an x-pen if you want a smaller space, but leave access to a toilet area, like a pee pad or newspaper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Piper is not home alone a lot, she is 9 weeks old. 3 times we have left her fro 3-4 hours in her crate. No accidents. But she also is sleeping through the night already from 9-6am. She can hold it!

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
Hudsen is 4.5 months. He is in his crate for about 4 hours in the morning, then I come home at lunch and walk/play with him for about 45 mins., then it's back in the crate for another 3-4 hours or so. We have been doing this since I got him at 10 weeks old. He had an accident or two the first week or so, but not since then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this might sound bad but my pup is 10 weeks old and two days a week i leave her in the crate for almost 7 hours straight, but she actually seems fine. I get her tired beforehand so i know that she probably sleeps for a couple of those 7 hours and then I leave a bone in the for her which seems to keep her busy. She doesn't seem to have a problem at all so i dont worry about it too much.

I think a lot of us underestimate how long pups can hold it and be fine with it. My pup also sleeps/stays in her crate from 10 at night until 9 in the morning with no whining.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Maybe at 5 months I would be okay with her being alone between 4 and 5 hours. However, she is still very young. There has got to be someone you can ask to stop by . . . I would probably call off or find someone . . . .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
luckily we have managed to change our rota's to another day and get someone to watch her, so looks like we wont need to leave her alone at all now, but I really like the responses I've had here. Thanks

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
My soon to be 12 week old non golden retriever Quinn is home all day when we are at work. We have a couple neighbors checking on her. I am not sure what times they come by, one is sometime in the AM the other when she gets out after school between 2-2:30. DH and I leave at 6AM for work. Quinn except for one day (knock on wood) has been accident free.

I know with Teddi by the end of Feb she was left all day by herself with no issues. Her birthday is just a few days before Quinn (10/22 Teddi, 10/28 Quinn) except years apart, so I hope in the next month we won't need our neighbors. Quinn sleeps through the night no issues, and she is house trained. She can't hold it long if she asks to go out, but she is asking. We just have to pay attention.

Ann

1 - 20 of 20 Posts