Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to trouble the forum...
I've been looking for them to show Saint Bob since we've been talking about getting some. I can't seem to find them!!!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YESS!!!! That's it, exactly!!!! Thank you!!!!

OK, confession here. I have not used these. My guys are either crated as puppies or sit in the back seat as adults. OK, I'm ashamed to admit that....

So....I will now mend the errors of my ways and get a harness. But I do have a question....does it allow the dog to lay down? I have only seen the dogs in sitting positions. I'd like for them to be able to lie down on long trips.

Also...I have three dogs...I assume I can fit three harnesses?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Jack hates his seatbelt. Hates it. It just attaches to the regular seatbelt and really restricts movement. I've seen ones that are like short tie-outs for dogs that allow more movement. Until we get one of those the seatbelt will only be used in an emergency. He travels in his crate 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really...so they can't lie down at all....OK, that is not going to make my crew happy...

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
Yes, they can lie down, they just can't move from one side to the other in the car.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Sorry, I didn't totally answer you. Yes he can lie down, just it needs to happen in a small amount of space due to the way the seatbelt connects. I recall seeing a website that has better ones on here....can't remember the name or who suggested it though. Jack's was bought out of necessity at Petco when we didn't have room for his crate with all our pre-wedding stuff to fit in the car.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Really...so they can't lie down at all....OK, that is not going to make my crew happy...
They can lie down and they can move around if you attach the strap to a seatbelt instead of an anchor. I have Jasper and Daniel's hooked to seat belts and Jasmine's to a floor anchor. She has enough room to sort of squeeze up between the boys because the straps are up to 20" long. When we make our trip up to Michigan next year, I will buy Jasmine an extended strap which extends up to 28" to give her a bit more room. Because the seat belts that the boys are hooked to have some give to them the dogs could move around some if they wanted to. But they don't.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Oh man, how did I miss that thread with Molson and his hot harness? Those pics are hilarious! I've been scouting around for a seatbelt for Ranger but I can't find any that will work with my truck...

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,002 Posts
To clear things up, with this particular seatbelt that Molson has (Champion K9), YES he can lie down and if I hook it up to the middle seat belt holder, he can still reach both windows on either side. The connector thing can adjust anywhere from 12" up to 24" long, and whether you attach it to the base of the seatbelt (the 'female' adaptor thing that you buckle your seatbelt into as a human) or to the seatbelt itself*, you can give the dog even more movement if you'd like.

*when I do this, I always pull the seatbelt ALL the way out so it makes that clicky sound and it locks and can't be pulled out until you release the buckle.

In our car, Molson's seatbelt attachment thing (the leash thing that connects his harness to the seat) is on the shortest length at 12" and he lays down all the time, sits up to look out the window and can reach his face to the armrest in the front seat but cannot climb into the front to distract me/driver.

It's a worthwhile investment, I promise you! I'll get pictures of it all someday soon.

ETA: I should also mention that we drive a Pontiac Vibe and a Pontiac Grand Prix. The vibe is more narrow than the average vehicle but in the grand prix, as a full size sedan, he can still sit up/lay down/look out either window.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts