Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I doing wrong? Using the double boiler system. It gets soft but not to a pouring consistency. How long should it take to melt?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've always found white chocolate chips melt better in the microwave. Put them in a glass bowl, 30 seconds, stir, 30 seconds, stir, continue until melted. Don't forget the pot holders because the bowl gets crazy hot.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what it looks like. Like lumps of cottage cheese. I'm using the same pan I used to melt the chocolate chocolate. I just tried meltinga little of it in the microwave. Burned but didn't melt. Maybe I need to get cheaper white chocolate?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That's what always happens to my white chocolate on the double boiler too. I think it has to do with the fat content. I can't get peanut butter chips to melt except in the microwave too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just made peppermint bark last night and put a bit too much water in the bottom pot; the water was coming up around the top pot. I started getting the cottage cheese look, but was able to pour out some of the water and go from there. Worked just fine.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help.

I just threw in the towel on the white chocolate. I have to get this done today. We're making little take-home gifts for all the guests at our party on Saturday.

Penny's Dad is going to the store to get dark chocolate chips to melt for the top layer. So there will be a semi-sweet layer, then some crushed peppermint layer, then dark chocolate layer and crushed peppermint layer on top. It will have to do. I'm not a fan of white chocolate anyway and won't be eating any of it so.....

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Been there before! White chocolate chips are very touchy. If they get just the least bit too hot, they get that curdled look and basically become useless. Try the microwave next time, start at just 15 seconds each time. Stir, go another 15 seconds. Regular chocolate chips never seem to have that problem, and I am sure they worked just a well on your bark.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
White chocolate is notoriously difficult to work with. When I'm dipping things in it I like to put a tablespoon of vegetable oil in to give it a sheen (since it's super dull otherwise). But it'll seize on you more than regular chocolate. I third (or fourth) the microwave recommendation. Go slowly, don't overheat it and do not get even a DROP of water in there or you get the seized mess.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
I literally just used white chocolate chips. I used the microwave and they melted perfectly. I could pour them out and make what I was making great

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
White chocolate is funny like that. It's either perfect or a mess. I went for years without having a problem and then one time (not sure why) I couldn't get it to melt correctly to save my life.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
White chocolate is very tricky to deal with, and yes just the tiniest bit of moisture will make it seize (get hard and lumpy). You can remelt it with more liquid it you want to add it to something, but not if you want to dip or layer it. The reason some of the chips melt better than others is because some that say white chocolate are not really that, but more like the candy coating. I don't even try to use it anymore as a coating, I just go for the other white coating stuff. Really tastes about the same if you are using it with dark chocolate or something with a lot of strong flavors (I did my ginger spice cookies in it).

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
It looks to me like water got into it and it seized on you. Try the microwave recipe mentioned above.
That's what I was going to say.

I made the dark chocolate/white chocolate bark last week. I like the Ghiridelle (sp?) the best. I melt mine in the microwave.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
My white chocolate seized on me this week, too. I melted it perfectly in the microwave - but as soon as I added the 1/2 tsp of lemon extract as per the recipe, it seized. I put it back in the micro and softened it up enough that I could stir in the dried blueberries and cranberries, and the bark actually came out really well! But man, it's fussy, eh?

·
Davina
392 Posts
My white chocolate seized on me this week, too. I melted it perfectly in the microwave - but as soon as I added the 1/2 tsp of lemon extract as per the recipe, it seized.
this exact thing happened to me with raspberry extract in my white chocolate I was making for some cake balls. :O( but it was never repairable... I ended up rolling it into balls and letting it get hard but it was never smooth or liquidy enough to coat anything sadly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts