1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
I think it's the same thing as regular American cheese. I suspect the only difference is color preference. The white might look better in this recipe. :)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so it looks like there really isn't a difference though some people swear there is. I'll look around and see if I can find some. If not I'll go with the regular cheddar. Either way, can't wait to try this recipe.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
My daughter has stopped eating American cheese since we moved to the Mid-West. First of all it is not very common, and second Land O Lakes american cheese is no longer carried out here.

To me, the yellow and the white taste the same, and on the East Coast, where people usually don't eat the orange american cheese, they are the same price. I use them interchangably now.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
OK, so it looks like there really isn't a difference though some people swear there is. I'll look around and see if I can find some. If not I'll go with the regular cheddar. Either way, can't wait to try this recipe.
There is a BIG difference with American cheese ( white or yellow/orange ) and cheddar - both with the taste and consistancy. I do not think you are going to have the same results in melting the cheddar as you will with the American. The American is creamier.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I used to work in the lab of a Dean Foods company...the only thing that using yellow american cheese will do will be to make your dip slightly yellow instead of stark white due to the coloring. You will be fine using Kraft Singles. ;)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I don't think cheddar will melt as well as isn't American cheese very processed?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I don't think cheddar will melt as well as isn't American cheese very processed?
Yeah, American cheese is not really what I would call "real" cheese... Cheddar cheese will probably melt into a grainier texture than American would, but it will be a lot more delicious!

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
Yeah, American cheese is not really what I would call "real" cheese... Cheddar cheese will probably melt into a grainier texture than American would, but it will be a lot more delicious!
I was thinking the same thing... though I'd use mozzarella or muenster cheese instead of cheddar. :)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a BIG difference with American cheese ( white or yellow/orange ) and cheddar - both with the taste and consistancy. I do not think you are going to have the same results in melting the cheddar as you will with the American. The American is creamier.
Oh, I thought this was cheddar cheese. :D I'll have a look out for it in the stores here but I doubt I'll find the white or the yellow.

Reactions: cubbysan

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Oh, I thought this was cheddar cheese. :D I'll have a look out for it in the stores here but I doubt I'll find the white or the yellow.
Both colors of American cheese is really "cheese food" - not even real cheese. In Canada they don't have American Cheese? I guess I never thought of that. It is such a staple in families. We go through about two lbs a week.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Nope, no American cheddar up here. I was roadtripping down to Tucson once and stopped at a Subway. The gal asked me what kind of cheese and I said, 'cheddar' and she gave me a weird look. I thought that's what the orange one was but apparently it was 'american'. Hadn't even heard of american cheese before!! She made me feel like I'd fallen out of the turnip truck on the way into town.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did a google search and others asked about where to buy it here too. The responses were to just buy cheddar? I'm going to start looking around. I doubt our larger grocery stores have it but I know of a few Latino grocery stores that may carry it - bet this thing is going to cost me an arm and a leg. lol How much is it in the US?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Wait a minute....you guys are telling me you don't put Kraft American Singles on your sandwiches? :confused: LOL I thought that was pretty much a way of life for the ordinary family. I put American cheese on EVERYTHING!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Okay, wait - is American cheese KRAFT cheese slices??? Like this? SINGLES Processed Cheese Product Slices

The stuff in the plastic wrap?? That is definitely NOT what the subway had! The subway cheese was REAL cheese...which is why I called it cheddar when she asked me what kind of cheese I wanted!

Also, if that IS american cheese, how hilarious is it that Kraft doesn't put American on it to sell it up here? We call that Kraft cheese slice...and it's nasty!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yeah, that's the stuff. Or at least one version of it... They sell a bunch of better versions at the deli. Land O Lakes is probably the most common.

I was getting worried about you guys up north! First I learned you drink milk out of bags, and then I hear that you don't have American Cheese!?! :)

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Oh we are a bunch of a crazy canucks up here! We don't have any dunkin donut or krispy kremes, either. Thank goodness we have Tim's! And Canadian bacon!

Okay, so the mystery of American cheese has been solved. We do have it up here, but it's labelled differently. I'll take cheddar cheese any day of the week!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts