Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber has a plethora of whiskers! With my show dogs, I shaved them off. Do you keep their whiskers or shave them off? I would imagine that they need some for sensing, but the chin and over-eye whiskers are getting crazy.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
Cooper also has hugh long whiskers growing everywhere in his face. I have never cut whiskers off on any of my dogs but then they are not shown in Conformation.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She won't be shown in Conformation. Maybe some Obedience and ? Crazy whiskers, though! :wavey:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've never paid attention to them so now I'm off to check out Ozzy to see if he has crazy whiskers too!

I won't shave them off regardless. Since I've never noticed them they clearly don't bother me!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Oh geez...I shouldn't have checked. My dog looks like a walrus! How could I have never noticed!?

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I never really noticed J's whiskers before either. Then they shaved them off for the show. Now I really miss them. Of course they are growing back, so it's not a problem, I just get very prickly kisses now.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
moose has weird long ones.. just randomly on his face.. he had a super long one which we call on his "eyebrow area" it always gets in his eye but im scared to trim it.. he's fine with them.. minus playing tug-o-war and i always tend to pull them!

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I have taken them off for showing because it is the standard of practice and there is no harm. Last show I was at though there was a lady showing her boy that she bred (and hunted with) with his whiskers. My only thought was--good for her for going against the grain! Now, I don't have anything against anyone who does and I have done it, but I wish I did not feel like I had to. Next time maybe I won't...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@all-I am cracking up at the responses. I really didn't notice all of the whiskers until we were out in the sunshine. Every shape, size and direction. My husband said that it just makes her cuter.:wavey:

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
My husband said that it just makes her cuter.:wavey: It does !!
It's funny how you don't notice them until you look. I will never cut Jordan's off again !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts