Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Which Dog Food Brand?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Maci's Mom
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always fed my girls Iams. But after doing a little research I feel like thats not the best brand to feed to Maci with all the corn and by-products and such. I was thinking about slowly switching over to Blue Buffalo. What do you guys feed your goldens and do you have any other food suggestions?

·
Theo's mom :)
623 Posts
I feed Theo Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy Dry Food. ;)

Iams has by-products and fillers (dried beet pulp.)

In my opinion, Pedigree is one of the worst things you could feed a dog. The first ingredient in the recipe is corn. It also has by-products, including animal fat, "meat and bone meal" with unspecified origin.

Innova seems pretty food - turkey and chicken at the top of the list, barley (good for regulating blood sugar levels), flaxseed (protein and omega-3), peas... It also has probiotics and minerals, which is great.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I feed Grandma Lucy's and, right now, Acana (1/2 and 1/2).

·
Premium Member
18,405 Posts
Anything BUT Blue Buffalo. It can cause diarrhea in a lot of puppies, as reported on this board and across the internet.

Pro Plan large breed puppy food is a good quality food that is also easy on most puppie's stomach's. It's what I feed all my foster puppies and they do very well on it.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
FROMM- They have been making petfood since WW2- No recalls- Family owned and operated. US sourced and manufactured.

BB has always given my Goldens GI issues esp. horrible gas!

I loathe Purina for personal reasons!!

Iams, Purina, and Pedigree have had numerous recalls.

Reactions: Melfice

·
Sheila 91-99; Haley 01-12
1,301 Posts
NOT Blue Buffalo or Pedigree; both are known to cause dogs serious health problems.

I haven't heard of any bad outcomes from feeding ProPlan or Fromm.

Edit: What I would like to know is whether certain ingredients, such as grains or carbohydrates in general, seem to lead to greater risk of cancer.

Since the National Research Panel Council has found that dogs don't actually need carbohydrates, I am suspicious of high-carbohydrate foods, especially those containing a lot of grain, and I am feeding the lowest carb food I can find, Orijen.

Added:
What's wrong with Blue: there are too many reports of dogs who developed problems while eating Blue.

The only problem Orijen causes is runny stool at first, which can be fixed by adding a source of fiber such as pumpkin or beans. And now, after 3 months of eating Orijen Large Breed Puppy, my puppy has adapted and no longer needs the extra fiber.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I feed my pups Fromm, Acana, Orijen and Farmina dry dog foods. They all have awesome results, and my dogs love their food.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We've fed Blue Buffalo for a couple of years with no problems. Hank is a perfect weight, has a great coat and energy level. ProPlan didn't work for him, terrible itchies.

There isn't one, perfect food for all dogs.

Reactions: Claudia M

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,584 Posts
Simply put, i would feed Ol Roy before I fed Blue Buffalo (Not a fan).

Most of the on line rating sites are heavily biased to the authors personal opinions. (And the authors possess no Professional Credentials in Animal Nutrition.)

You need to be a little more specific in your search. Nestle Purina litterally make hundreds of different formulas for dogs as does the Iams Company. I would venture that of the hundreds of products those two companies offer you could find a product that works well with your dog.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Simply put, i would feed Ol Roy before I fed Blue Buffalo (Not a fan).

Most of the on line rating sites are heavily biased to the authors personal opinions. (And the authors possess no Professional Credentials in Animal Nutrition.)

You need to be a little more specific in your search. Nestle Purina litterally make hundreds of different formulas for dogs as does the Iams Company. I would venture that of the hundreds of products those two companies offer you could find a product that works well with your dog.
Why? Particulars please.

I've seen many posts objecting to BB but other than reading it's "too rich for some dogs" never any actual reasons. Hank gets loose stools from beef and terrible itchies from salmon but I wouldn't calls brands containing these ingredients 'bad foods', they just aren't for him.

BB contains no corn, wheat or soy, no by-products or artificial preservatives.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I so wish people would quit posting links to the dog food advisor - this is a human dentist, what the heck does he know about dog food?

I feed my puppy Pro Plan Large Breed puppy - he is doing very well on it.

My passed on seniors did great on Taste of the Wild - my dachshund was on TOTW but I recently switched him to a lower calorie grain free version of Earthborn because he gained too much weight.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I so wish people would quit posting links to the dog food advisor - this is a human dentist, what the heck does he know about dog food?

I feed my puppy Pro Plan Large Breed puppy - he is doing very well on it.

My passed on seniors did great on Taste of the Wild - my dachshund was on TOTW but I recently switched him to a lower calorie grain free version of Earthborn because he gained too much weight.
Like anyone, he or his staff can research and know what is quality and what isn't. I've been researching foods for over 15 years. I use many sources and Dog Food advisor is just one. I don't always agree with their top picks, but the bottom of the barrel stuff is pretty accurate. You may need a degree to make the food, but you just need common sense and a willingness to learn about nutrition to pick out a quality food and to know what are good ingredients and what aren't. You also have to know your dog.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Tayla's mom: but isnt' that the point? Yes, anyone can do research on dog food and come up with their own opinions and what they think is right.
I am going with Pro Plan because my breeder recommended it. Before that, yes, I was a total food snob as well and would have never touched Purina with a ten foot pole.
I am sorry, but I don't put much stake into dog food advisor. I would rather go by what a vet, a dog nutritionist, a long time breeder and people like that say, than what this dentist has to say. And of course, I also do my own research as well - I did learn a bit about dog and cat nutrition being a LVT - Hm, I think I am more qualified than the dentist :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts