• English(or British) Field Golden Retrievers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canadian Field Golden Retrievers

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
There are so many awesome Golden Retrievers! Did you know that there are also many different types of Golden Retrievers too? Which one is your favorite?
Golden Retriever-English Cream

1. English(or British) Golden Retrievers. This type of Golden is the lightest out of all of the Golden Retrievers. While they are not pure white, they are a very pale cream color.
  2. Canadian Golden Retrievers. Has a thinner and darker coat. These beautiful Goldens are usually taller than the English ones.
  3. American Golden Retrievers. These Golden Retrievers are in between the English and Canadian. They are also much more hyper than the English, and slightly more difficult to train.
Which one's your favorite? Tell me below! My personal favorite is the American Golden Retriever!

·
Kate
21,688 Posts

^^^ This golden retriever won the breed at Crufts (UK) 2019.

^^^ This was the top golden in Canada back in 2018, owned by a friend here in MI. IE - American bred, shown to the top in Canada before she started her AKC career.

^^^ This is the #1 golden retriever in the US right now. Owned by a friend here in MI.

Kennel Club (UK)
Height at withers: dogs: 56-61 cms (22-24 ins); bitches: 51-56 cms (20-22 ins).

CKC (CA)
Males 23 - 24 inches (58-61 cm) in height at withers; females, 21-1/2 - 22-1/2 inches (55-57 cm). Length from breastbone to buttocks slightly greater than height at withers in ratio of 12:11. Weight for dogs, 65-75 lb.

AKC (US)
Males 23 to 24 inches in height at withers; females 21½ to 22½ inches. Dogs up to one inch above or below standard size should be proportionately penalized. Deviation in height of more than one inch from the standard shall disqualify. Length from breastbone to point of buttocks slightly greater than height at withers in ratio of 12:11. Weight for dogs 65 to 75 pounds; bitches 55 to 65 pounds.

^^^ IE, it is ONE BREED.

·
Maegan
737 Posts
View attachment 879708

View attachment 879709

^^^ This was the top golden in Canada back in 2018, owned by a friend here in MI. IE - American bred, shown to the top in Canada before she started her AKC career.

View attachment 879710

^^^ This is the #1 golden retriever in the US right now. Owned by a friend here in MI.

Kennel Club (UK)

CKC (CA)
Males 23 - 24 inches (58-61 cm) in height at withers; females, 21-1/2 - 22-1/2 inches (55-57 cm). Length from breastbone to buttocks slightly greater than height at withers in ratio of 12:11. Weight for dogs, 65-75 lb.

AKC (US)
Males 23 to 24 inches in height at withers; females 21½ to 22½ inches. Dogs up to one inch above or below standard size should be proportionately penalized. Deviation in height of more than one inch from the standard shall disqualify. Length from breastbone to point of buttocks slightly greater than height at withers in ratio of 12:11. Weight for dogs 65 to 75 pounds; bitches 55 to 65 pounds.

^^^ IE, it is ONE BREED.
I flippin love Hollywood! I've seen Rebecca show her in person multiple times and she is just wonderful.

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
I flippin love Hollywood! I've seen Rebecca show her in person multiple times and she is just wonderful.
I know Joy is over the moon tickled.

I remember when Hollywood was a baby - she's gotten better and better every year. :)

^^^ Btw, this is the top golden in Canada for 2020. Owned by another Michigander. :D Wayne's a very busy handler.

·
Registered
235 Posts
View attachment 879708

View attachment 879709

View attachment 879710

Kennel Club (UK)

CKC (CA)

AKC (US)

^^^ IE, it is ONE BREED.
Thank you so much that was brilliant!
the original post is incorrect re the English Goldens. ‘English Cream Golden’s’ is a designer fad in North America. Here in the UK we do not consider the Cream Goldens as the titular English or British Golden. As very well illustrated in your photo comparison showing the Crufts UK best in breed.

Actually living in the UK I can say we do have cream coloured goldens my Teddy is is one but it is just considered a permitted shade for the breed. I see just as many if not more medium Golden coloured Golden Retrievers out and about. I also see plenty of leaner darker gold GR’s who are from working lines but we Brits don’t go around calling them American working retrievers.

Sorry Alexandog but your post in unhelpfully perpetuating the ‘English Cream’ GR myth.

Although I will say Brits could possibly be to blame for popularising the cream shade initially as I have heard the cream shade started being bred for specifically by some breeders in the UK in the 80’s and developed as a popular shade.

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
as very well illustrated in your photo comparison showing the Crufts UK best in breed.
Fwiw - or to muddy waters even further for people who think that golden would never win in the AKC show ring. Here in Michigan, I've seen Connie (Malagold) take goldens who look just like that (different grooming on the neck though) and win points easily with them. She's got CH goldens who look like that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Fwiw - or to muddy waters even further for people who think that golden would never win in the AKC show ring. Here in Michigan, I've seen Connie (Malagold) take goldens who look just like that (different grooming on the neck though) and win points easily with them. She's got CH goldens who look like that.
Interesting and good to hear. So a Golden is a Golden is a Golden.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
I like the ones that are physically and mentally capable of winning field trials. Sadly, there are **** few of them and that’s probably not going to change.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Best of Breed Goldens are all gorgeous, but I'm always partial to mine, even with his genetic subparedness (I think I just made up a word) :ROFLMAO: For me, he's everything about the breed I adore💜

ps
I do have a question: how do you measure a golden? Place a yardstick next to him when he's standing, and measure to where his shoulder joins his neck? I get how to measure a horse, but very confused on how to measure a dog.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
ps
I do have a question: how do you measure a golden? Place a yardstick next to him when he's standing, and measure to where his shoulder joins his neck? I get how to measure a horse, but very confused on how to measure a dog.
With a wicket and yes at the withers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Giovanni Monteverde (Olvinglay) has such gorgeous dogs, that's him with his girl Belle who was BOB at Crufts in 2019.

·
Registered
883 Posts
One that has parents with full health clearances and a pedigree filled with Field Titles....

Don't care where the 'line' came from....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, really, @CCoopz? Huh, I didn't know that. British Golden Retrievers were cream-colored, according to my research. I guess that the internet can provide false information sometimes. Sorry for the false assumption!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts