Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Golden pup and I am wondering what is the best food to use? I have looked for all the information that I can find and everyone is saying "just make your own" I don't have any additional time between Logan, my 18 month old son, and Cooper my new puppy. I started using Eukanuba. Does anyone have any experience with this food or any others that may help?

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mike, here is a list......of some of the top premuim dog foods...it will depend on where you live for the availability. Both my dogs are on Canidae(one kind for all stages of life including puppies). Both my Golden and Black Lab thrive on it....thier coats are shiny and lusterous..Emma the Black lab had alot of problems with hot spots and secondary bacterial infection when she was on Pro Plan for puppies....But when I got Ty...put them both on Canidae and no more "hot spots"...also a reduction in there shedding and there dog poops are less oderous and less frequent. But all dogs are different...one food might agree with some dogs and not others...so at first it will be "trail and error" to see how it goes!
I found Canidae to be the Best Food for the price....40lbs. for $33 in Western MA. Other members feel free to add to the list....:yes:

List of Good Foods:
  1. Canidae
  2. Wellness
  3. Eagle Pack Hollistic
  4. Innova
  5. Chicken Soup
  6. Nutro Lg Breed
  7. California Natural
  8. Solid Gold
  9. Natural Balance Potatoe/Duck
  10. Flint River

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I raised MOJO on Purina Pro Plan Puppy food and now on the Sensitive Skin and Stomach and have no problems whatever. Never had hot spots (what ARE they?) and coat is nice and shiny. I always read the labels and if the first ingredients says "something by-product" then it's not for us. If you want information on the Pro Plan product then please use the number listed on the packs and call.
Now, having said that, I'm always looking for other products because one products isn't always for everyone. I have no idea where to get this "Nutro Lg. Breed" or "Eagle Pack Hollistic". I live in Ontario Canada so if anyone has any ideas please send them on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
mojosmum said:
I raised MOJO on Purina Pro Plan Puppy food and now on the Sensitive Skin and Stomach and have no problems whatever. Never had hot spots (what ARE they?) and coat is nice and shiny. I always read the labels and if the first ingredients says "something by-product" then it's not for us. If you want information on the Pro Plan product then please use the number listed on the packs and call.
mojosmum said:
Now, having said that, I'm always looking for other products because one products isn't always for everyone. I have no idea where to get this "Nutro Lg. Breed" or "Eagle Pack Hollistic". I live in Ontario Canada so if anyone has any ideas please send them on.

Yes! you are right Mojosmum....there should be no by-products whatsoever in a premuim dog food....The more animal protiens in the first 5 ingredients the better....Dogs are carnivorous! I believe Canidae has 3 animal protiens in first 5, which is the most I have seen in the upper end premuim dog foods and is the most economical...because the better the dog food...the less
you have to feed your dog.

Some dogs are more prone to "hot spots" then others....it is not only the by-products you have to be concerned in in other foods its also the additives, preservatives and other fillers and ingredients that are common in causing allergic reaction(especially in goldens & labs) also flour, corn soy ect. that they use can cause problems......also foods that say poultry meal instead of chicken meal, meat meal instead of beef meal.... leaves the manufacturer open to put alot of undesirable stuff in the food. :no:

I just feel that putting alittle more money into kind of food I feed my dogs will save in vet bills in the long run....of course this in only my honest opinion...I sure other dogs lovers have there own slant on the subject.;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
were feeding Duke Diamond brand Lamb and Rice large breed puppy.

i looked at the ingredient list and the first 10 are this
lamb, lamb meal,whole grain brown rice,rice flour,oatmeal,corn gluten meal,brewers rice,chicken fat,beet pulp,egg product.

then it goes on to show some other stuff and vitamins.

we pay 17 for a 20 pound bag and 40 lb is around 23,i dont have the room for the 40 so just buy the smaller size.
we get it at the feed store because i like their customer service LOL
the dogfood has a website

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ty's Marty said:
I just feel that putting alittle more money into kind of food I feed my dogs will save in vet bills in the long run....of course this in only my honest opinion...I sure other dogs lovers have there own slant on the subject.;)
Yep! I definately agree! A little more money into the food is a good thing.
For my puppers, I feed PMI Exclusive ... the "exclusive" is what makes this a super premium food as PMI has many different forumlas. I have found that this food is just as good as many that are listed, but it is turning out to be less expensive! That's a good thing when feeding 5 goldens! :rockon:

I purchase this at the Purina feed store and it is a "no corn" blend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am surprise that Nutro is above Solid Gold. I have fed Nutro for 18 years to all of my Goldens. I put my Shih Tzu on Solid Gold because of her runny eyes, I thought maybe they are diet related. I see no improvement yet so I will go back to Nutro. Nutro smells better than Solid Gold and the price is better. I will put a couple of teaspoons of Green Cow Tripe on their Nutro. They go crazy for it. The enzymes are supposed to be good for them. I should worry about my diet as much as I do my dogs. Karen

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey Mojosmum - we live in Toronto.
Pet Valu stores carry Eagle Pack foods (all kinds, if you don't see the entire line of products in the store, just ask them and they can order it for you). A very good store with usually knowledgeable employees is Global Pet Foods http://www.globalpetfoods.ca/framesetlocations.html and they carry most of the GOOD STUFF brands, with different varieties of natural and holistic foods.

We have been using Eagle Pack for Kia and her puppies and they love it, have a good stool (not diarrhea), and the price evens out with the grocery store brands since you don't have to feed nearly as much to give the same (or better) amount of nutrition.

mojosmum said:

·
Registered
256 Posts
mojosmum said:
Never had hot spots (what ARE they?) QUOTE]

As defined on:
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/f/FAQ_hotspot.htm

Q. What Is A "Hot Spot"?
Hot spots can happen at any time of the year, with the warmer months being more common. Causes vary, and it is best to visit with your veterinarian to determine the cause and get the appropriate treatment.

A.
A hot spot is a localized area of skin inflammation and infection. The infection can be superficial or deep. Other common names for this condition include: moist dermatitis, pyotraumatic dermatitis, and acute moist dermatitis. Broken down, "pyo-" refers to "pus", "-traumatic" refers to self-inflicted trauma of biting, licking, scratching, and so on, and "dermatitis" means inflammation of the skin.
These common skin lesions are usually caused (and made worse) by biting, licking, or scratching. The important thing for successful long term treatment of a hot spot is to find the underlying cause to break the cycle of continued skin trauma and resulting inflammation.

Redness, oozing, pain, and itchiness are hallmark signs. Hair loss is commonly present.
Sometimes hair can mat over the lesion, obscuring the size and degree of the problem. These lesions can appear suddenly, and grow rapidly in size. It is common for an owner to notice a small area of inflamed skin in the morning (perhaps an inch or couple centimeters in diameter) and come home from work to be met with a large area the size of the palm of a hand. The dog is usually highly agitated, and will not leave the area alone. Some dogs will even growl or snap if the area is touched.
There is usually an inciting factor to initiate the extreme licking and scratching behavior. Look for fleas, mites, or other external parasites, an insect sting or bite, allergies (food, inhalant, contact), or injury (skin wound, scrape, etc.). Some animals have been known to "start" a hot spot out of boredom or stress-related psychological problems.

Kia has had HOT SPOTS twice so far and her case is usually on the more severe side - it spreads incredibly fast and we had to go to the vet both times for them to treat it either with corticostereoids, sterile wash solution, antibiotics, etc.... For a healing wash I used tea trea oil solution as well.
It is a pretty bad inflamation and Kia MUST wear the Elizabethan collar (she hates it) so she does not scratch it - with scratching it is constantly raw and spreading! Both times it took from 10 - 14 days to heal properly - we even must wait for the new skin to mature otherwise she just scratches it open again. We believe Kia's case might be caused by a light form of allergies, but since this does not happen often, the vet and we are not overly concerned. She swims a lot in the summer months so now we take proper care to dry her off when we come inside.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks Vierka - great information. I'll have to keep my eyes open when we move to the Niagara area for the Pet Valu. We don't have any around us here in the country. I'm very happy with the Pro Plan food, I just like to check out the competition to see what the ingredients are.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm going to have to go on the internet to see if the food is available in Ontario. We haven't heard of it but then, since we moved to the country we seem to have missed a lot of things LOL.
What are the first 5 ingredients in this Canidae?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sam said:
Switch to Canidae...I have about two weeks ago, and can't BELIEVE the difference in my dogs coats!!! Truly remarkable!
thanks a lot. I went to thier web site and they do have a retailer here in the Springs, actually a stones throw away from my house, so I am going to pick a bag up tommorow.

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feed Ty Canidae:D ....3 animal proteins in the first five ingredients is great:appl:....not to many of the "top notch" dog foods can claim that. If they do....they are alot more expensive then Canidae....I get 40lbs for $32 in Western Ma. at Dave's Pet Food City. Ty's been on it since he was 6 months old and he's 21 months old now!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts