Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you are in Agility. I was wondering if I could ask some questions? I live in a very small town and the closest agility place is about 2 hours away. I was thinking of starting a club here in my town. I was wondering how do you go about starting a club? Do the animals have to be registered? Can anyone join and make a team? How many people to a proper team? If anyone has started a club or is on a team...... I just wanna know if this is a possible thing.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
I know some of you are in Agility. I was wondering if I could ask some questions? I live in a very small town and the closest agility place is about 2 hours away. I was thinking of starting a club here in my town. I was wondering how do you go about starting a club? Do the animals have to be registered? Can anyone join and make a team? How many people to a proper team? If anyone has started a club or is on a team...... I just wanna know if this is a possible thing.
Canada is so different from the US in agility - at least Quebec is...It's tough. Most folks in Quebec and Ontario come down to the US to compete as agility trials are few and far between up there (and I've looked into Quebec trials too hoping that they had something close to home for me - I'm 45 minutes from the border).

Are you trying to put together a like minded group of enthusiasts that want to play the game? Or are you trying to get a club that holds trials, lessons or whatever? Two different approaches.

If it's the first (the friends who play agility part) I'd just recruit people that you see out and about. You can split up buying equipment and get together to practice - alternatively perhaps you can rent a training center as a group and help each other out...is there such a thing where you are?

If you want to create a formal club to host trials and such the requirements vary by venue...I think that you can host a NADAC trial in Canada - http://www.nadac.com. I don't see any Canadian CPE events but they'd be worth contacting too. As I understand it the dominant agility organization is the AAC: http://www.aac.ca/en/home/main/default.aspx

Hopefully that's enough to give you an idea - or at least some folks to contact.

Good luck!
Erica

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am hoping to start a competitive club. I guess it depends on what it takes:) I have emailed some people. I am really hoping this goes well, it would be something our town needs!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Where are you located?

I'm just outside of Calgary, and know quite a few people all over in agility...

What the best thing to do would be to get some equipment to start on, and attend some seminars. Get some books or videos to get started on things as well. Clean run is a good magazine to get as well. Even if you have to travel to take some day long private lessons or whatever, it would be worth it to get some help in person, but for a lot of things you can get good pointers and info in books and videos (I'm supposed to be watching a bunch for work while on mat leave, guess I should get to that before the snow thaws;)).

PM me if you have any questions!

Lana

1 - 4 of 4 Posts