Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 6 month old male golden has currently been sleeping in his crate beside my bed since I had brought him home. Recently, my roommates have moved out and I was thinking of allowing him to sleep in his own room in his crate at night time. He would have an entire bedroom, and when I leave him alone for a few hours during the day, I plan to leave the crate open and he can be in the bedroom (door closed) and I would know he can’t get into anything. Currently I never leave him alone outside of the crate. I only leave him in the crate as he doesn’t have a “safe space where he can’t get into anything” which now he would as he would have a full bedroom!

The only reason I thought it may be good to allow him to sleep alone (without my presence being beside him every night) would just be for him learning to be by himself a lot more. Although I do love him sleeping in his crate beside my bed since I always can look over and see him. I just want to make the best decision that will help his future learning to be alone when it is needed to let him be alone.

·
Super Moderator
2,533 Posts
My dogs sleep with me every night, but they do not have any anxiety when I leave. Its my personal preference to have them in the room with me and I can’t see it any other way!

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
Sometimes the answer to this question depends on where you live. I live in an area where wildfires are a possibility, as well as, earthquakes. I must be able to get to my Goldens in a hurry in an emergency. For this reason mine sleep crated in a room with easy access to the outside and my SUV. I also keep several flashlights and their leashes in the room.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 11w pup sleeps mainly on the bare hardwood floor, usually in our bedroom and often under our bed (he still fits under the bed). Since we didn't have the crate from day 1, we couldn't crate-train him to sleep in it during the night. And while we do put him into the crate during the day and sometimes during the night to sleep, he is far more restless in the crate than out of it, on the (cold) hardwood floor. Also, i don't want him to do the "accident" in the crate either, ruining the crate training.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Dogs are denning animals, so training them to sleep in a crate at night is perfect. I would not consider changing this until he is at least 12 months old, then have the crate in the room, door open but allow him to sleep out of the crate if he wants. I do this so if I travel with my pup/ dogs I take the crate(s) so they can sleep in them wherever I may go. Works perfectly even in hotel rooms....

These dogs are very social animals to their respective 'pack.' You are his pack! Keeping him and his crate in your room is important, he does not want his own place to sleep in, he wants to know you are near him. Don't put human traits of privacy, on your pup, they are dogs and behave differently than we do....

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I also like having my dog in my room at night - she has always slept with me - first in a crate as a baby puppy, and then on my bed - while her day crate that she stayed in while I was at work or out was in the living room.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dogs are denning animals, so training them to sleep in a crate at night is perfect. I would not consider changing this until he is at least 12 months old, then have the crate in the room, door open but allow him to sleep out of the crate if he wants. I do this so if I travel with my pup/ dogs I take the crate(s) so they can sleep in them wherever I may go. Works perfectly even in hotel rooms....

These dogs are very social animals to their respective 'pack.' You are his pack! Keeping him and his crate in your room is important, he does not want his own place to sleep in, he wants to know you are near him. Don't put human traits of privacy, on your pup, they are dogs and behave differently than we do....
I'd love when the crate is #1 place where our pup wants to sleep, but he doesn't want to sleep in there. Instead, he prefers sleeping under our bed or under our office chairs, when we are working on PC.

In our bedroom, we don't have enough space to put the crate in there, so, the crate is in home office. I sometimes pull all-nighters and pup is with me, so my missus could sleep comfortably. But when it comes to our pup, his 1st spot would be bedroom and 2nd one in home office, on the floor.

Any suggestions on how to make the crate as #1 sleeping spot for him? We also have blanket on the crate, to create burrow feel and he can see us from it, when he wants.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
We started all our pups in their crates, as part of the crate training routine. We put them in their crates to sleep every night without exception for over a year. After that we left the door open, still sometimes they end up in the crate to sleep. Anytime we travel for hunt tests or hunting. I bring soft crates. They sleep in them at night in the hotels. They are quite and sleep like puppies....

It really works, but I do not know how to get an older dog to love that crate....sorry!

·
Registered
114 Posts
We started all our pups in their crates, as part of the crate training routine. We put them in their crates to sleep every night without exception for over a year. After that we left the door open, still sometimes they end up in the crate to sleep. Anytime we travel for hunt tests or hunting. I bring soft crates. They sleep in them at night in the hotels. They are quite and sleep like puppies....

It really works, but I do not know how to get an older dog to love that crate....sorry!
Well, my pup is almost 3 months now and i could try putting him into the crate every night. But with that, we have few problems: 1. crate is in home office and pup would be all alone, except when i have night shifts; 2. when pup needs to go potty, there's no-one to observe him and let him out, to go outside. This may produce "mistake" in the crate and ruin the crate training. 3. Our pup isn't that comfortable in the crate since we didn't have crate from day 1, instead we got it 3 days later. And he loves to sleep on hardwood floor.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Well, my pup is almost 3 months now and i could try putting him into the crate every night. But with that, we have few problems: 1. crate is in home office and pup would be all alone, except when i have night shifts; 2. when pup needs to go potty, there's no-one to observe him and let him out, to go outside. This may produce "mistake" in the crate and ruin the crate training. 3. Our pup isn't that comfortable in the crate since we didn't have crate from day 1, instead we got it 3 days later. And he loves to sleep on hardwood floor.
You cannot move your crate or buy an extra one? As I already stated, I do not know how to crate train a dog that is older, my only experience has been using the crate from day 1! I suggest you do your own research on that one...

·
Registered
114 Posts
You cannot move your crate or buy an extra one?
In our bedroom, we don't have enough space to put the crate in there
Crates are expensive. The one we got for him, costed us €107 ($125.46) and it's for full-grown dog. There's no point to buy the puppy crate and then bigger one, wastes money. Also, when pup gets used to small crate, he/she may not get used to bigger (new) one, when pup outgrows the smaller crate.

my only experience has been using the crate from day 1!
Day 1 as in from the day pup was born, or day 1 as in the day you got the pup?

I suggest you do your own research on that one...
I've done it, quite a bit. Only the last leg is missing - pup preferring to sleep in the crate at night.
Then again, my breeder said that their dog sleeps freely in the house, on the cold floor and GRs don't need dedicated dog bed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts