Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Klaus sits in the back seat with a dog seatbelt (basically the leash will attach to the neck collar and the other side to the seat belt). I believe the dog should be in the back of the SUV with a grate to prevent him from jumping around the seat and trying to get in the front seat. He climbs all over me and breaks many seat belts. Where does your dog sit?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mine sits in the second row, wearing a seat belt harness made for dogs, through which the car seat belt passes . He has some range of motion, but cannot get to the driver.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
our dogs are always crated in our vehicle, we have a suburban and can fit three crates in it, two side by sides in the rear and a third behind the second set of seats when they are folded up.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
SleepyPod is probably the best car harness maker in the northwest. The safest option is a kennel that's secured to the car though. If you have an SUV, I would go with that option. Won't damage the car and it's safer.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
SleepyPod is probably the best car harness maker in the northwest. The safest option is a kennel that's secured to the car though. If you have an SUV, I would go with that option. Won't damage the car and it's safer.

Sleepypod is the only one that has been crash tested, from what I recall. The biggest complaint is difficulty in getting it on. Ruffwear also makes one that will keep your dog secure, though it has not been crash tested. I think they are about the same price.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Your dog is seatbelted into the car by a collar? That's not very safe. If an accident happens and your boy goes flying, he might snap his neck or get out of the collar and fly through your windshield or something.

I'm saving up money to get another crate to put in the back of my car (Toyota Rav4), but until then, I use the Kurgo Enhanced Strength Car Harness for Kaizer.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Mine ride in crates. Before I had my minivan they rode in the back seat. I always used a harness until they learned to stay in the back. The front of the car was strictly off limits.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you are interested in the ClickIt seatbelt, PetExpertise has a 20% off sale on them right now.

I've ordered from PetExpertise and they have excellent customer service. Free shipping for items over $49. They have helpful articles and resources, too-- I like how you can shop by "issues" you want to resolve.

CLICKIT

(Complete list of sale items with code moving17)

We own the ClickIt and it's a nice product. You can use it as a harness for getting to/from where you need to go when a car ride is involved, though I prefer the Freedom Harness for regular walks. (Also on sale.)

·
now Mom to Kiwi
2,785 Posts
Our dog sits in the back seat and wears a Kurgo harness with a seat belt extender plugged into the seat belt. The car we use for the dog isn’t an SUV so no room for a crate. We were in a bad accident in August due to someone running a red light and the car got written off but our dog was fine due to the seatbelt. I would hate to think of what could have happened to her had she not been wearing it as it was a direct front end impact. Plus we were actually on our way to the vet at the time for her rehab appt due to an ACL injury she suffered in May so her leg being ok was also a big relief.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dog rides in his crate.

·
Registered
991 Posts
https://www.k9ofmine.com/best-dog-crates-for-car/

Some interesting reading about crates and cars. I used to use wire crates in the car until I spoke to first responders who said they often collapsed on the dog or exploded apart sending wire pieces everywhere. Then I used the camping crates better then nothing but I am looking into Rising Star crates and another solid crate that a friend uses for her escape artist.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
I wonder how anyone using a crate in a car has the crate secured so it doesn't go flying in a crash.

dlm ny country
My crate fits snugly in the back of my SUV. It doesn't move. It's not secured to the car, but even if the car rolled, it just doesn't have room to move.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I used to keep my boys in the back of my Jetta Sportwagen. After reading up on vehicle crumple zones I have moved them to the rear seat. The cargo area of any large SUV would because of size and weight clearly be safer than my Sportwagen however there is no getting past the fact that any vehicle regardless of size by design will be safest in the passenger sections. I am not looking to start any disagreements I only strongly recommend that anyone putting thought into were the safest place for their dogs is to read up on the purpose and function of crumple zones and make their own choice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts