Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a weird question, but I'm wondering where people put the poop they pick up from their yards? We have been putting it in a plastic bag, and into the trash can in the garage, but then our garage stinks! Is there a better way to do this? Now that winter is descending upon us, the odor won't be much of a problem, but I'd like to figure out a less stinky place to put the poop next spring/summer.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
After trying many different things, the best solution that I have found is a diaper genie, the type that humans use for baby's diapers. Not overly expensive and the refill bag thingy inside lasts quite a while for me.

I think I have the Diaper Genie II. It really does control the odor. I keep mine in the garage and even in the summer it's not too bad. I live in a townhome so my garage connects to my neighbors therefore I really have to be careful with the odor. I pick up the poop with a plastic newspaper sleeve.

In the winter I keep a small tin garbage can outside hidden behind a bush and put the daily bag of poops in there and as long as it's not in the sun it doesn't stink too much. But that's only when it is really cold outside.

Good luck!!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I have woods behind my house...so thats where the poop goes...wish I could get them to go there to poop!

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
In Your Neighbor trash?? hehehehe We do the bag thing to...and that trash can smells pretty bad by trash pick up days. Any better ideas out there?

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
Oh...you are supposed to actually pick it up? Shoot.

Just kiddin'! With four goldens, I had to get this dialed in - or really suffer.

Day to day it does in a 10 gal. galvanized can with a tight fitting lid. The can has a tall kitchen (13 gal.) trash can liner. When trash day comes I pull the drawstring handles and tie them and then dump the whole thing into a big heavy duty "drum liner" type trash bag (it usually has other miscellaneous trash in it) that gets tied closed and then dropped (carefully!) into the rolling trash cart.

The double bagging helps to prevent a serious HazMat situation, if you get my drift.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Your Neighbor trash?? hehehehe We do the bag thing to...and that trash can smells pretty bad by trash pick up days. Any better ideas out there?
Funny you should mention that...the other day, I was walking Rosie and she pooped in someone on our street's front yard. Their trash can was in the driveway, becase it was trash day. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate etiquette to put the bag of poop in their trash or not. I ended up carrying it with me until we reached the park, then I disposed of it in the public trash can. If someone was walking past my house, and their dog pooped in my front yard, I would have no problem with them disposing of it in my trash can (if it was on trash pick-up day). It raises an interesting question, though...

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
If it was trash day and the trash had not been picked up yet, I think it would be ok to put it in there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you feed raw, it isn't an issue at all. It turns white over night and literally to dust. Haven't pooper scooped in years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We throw ours in the bin as well - but our bins are kept outside so the smell isn't really an issue - until you lift the lid to throw the next lot in :yuck::yuck: (just need to remember to take a dep breath and hold it ;))

Bins get emptied here on alternate weeks (recyclables one week,and non - recyclables the next).I do find that the bin with two weeks poop gets a bit heavy at times :satan:

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
We chuck it over the fence!! hehehe...

Luckily there open farmland at the back of us and there is a 15ft border around the field that is just long grass and nettles...so it does no harm in there! Much rather that than it sitting in a plastic bag that will last for hundreds of years!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
i have garbage container with black bag with lid on the top of course.During cold month i throw away bag one in 2weeks,at summer 2time during the week It sure can stink!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Well one good thing about Trip digging, is it gives me a place to put the poop and cover it back up. He usually won't dig in that spot again. But if he is not in the digging mood, I put it in a bucket and then empty it in the burn pile every couple days. Course, we live on 80 acres, so finding a place to put it is not a real issue, I could always throw it in the ditch or field or something.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Hoping to train my new puppy(newborn today), in a designated area and toss in the woods next to the house. Some dog owners in the neighborhood think that because the town owns the frontage on the property by so many feet, that they don't have to be a curteous dog owner by picking up their own poop. One day out front, I cleaned up 13 dog piles! The town isn't going to clean up the dog poop! Needless to say I wasn't happy.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Since we don't live by a pasture or woods, we have to put ours in the trash outside.. Trash gets picked up twice a week so I either put it is a paper sack or plastic bag, so we don't smell it.

·
Lost in Fur Land
168 Posts
My neighbors porch is a good place as any i guess :). I kid i kid. Although the thought has crossed my mind a time or three. I just chuck into the pasture behind my house.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good question Minesotta Rosie, we have yet to approach our first spring/summer hot days with Daisy, and though it never gets stifflingly hot in the UK, beleive it or not we do have weeks that are really hot, and we too have alternative pick up days with the bins (every two weeks).

I can only think that during the really hot spells, I will have to use the 'scented' poop bags to stiffle the smell a bit in our home bin. But then again, she will be much older by the spring/summer, and I can have longer days out with her - the poop can stay in the park bins :)

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
We're in the woods too and Ike would always go right at the perimeter...until he was visiting his friend Daisy and she pooped in the woods on her property. When Ike came home, he starting pooping in our woods too! Golden see, Golden doo. :)

I have woods behind my house...so thats where the poop goes...wish I could get them to go there to poop!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Wether from our yard or out on a walk, I pick up the poop using a biodegradable cornstarch pet waste bag. Then I put it in a hard plastic dog food bin lined with a tall kitchen garbage bag that sits behind the garage. On trash day we just lift the kitchen liner out of the bin and drop it in our regular garbage can.

Around here, people would not be at all happy if I dropped a poop waste bag in their garbage can sitting out on the street - especially if they didn't have dogs of their own.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts