Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for everyone......where do you leave your dog(s) when you go out shopping or for the evening? What about when you go to work?
I've already stated in a couple of other sites that I crate my two and leave them for no more than 4 hours at a time. I should also state that this only happens once during any given day. If I have to crate during the day then we stay in at night. DOGS RULE....at least in this house LOL

·
Registered
414 Posts
Clancy has free roam of most of the house. Living room and bedrooms are off limits, but kitchen, dining room and hall with hardwood is all his. If he is clean and we are gone for short while only we will leave bedroom open.

When he was a pup he had a crate but he wasn't crate trained. We started him in the bathroom, which is large, 10 x 12 feet and tiled floor, locked cabinets and safety checked. As he got older he was given the hall then the diningroom and kitchen.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As I have stated in a previous thread Meg is an outside dog, if I have to leave her She is dogsat, usually by my lovely neighbour who has two golden ones. During the day it is rare for us both to be out at the same time, so I watch her girls and she watches over mine. These three are never tethered, they live in secure yards, and there is always somebody keeping an eye on them. Happy, healthy, loved and secure!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our senior citizen Elsa is free to walk around the house, but Maple, our junior dunce dog ***joking! she's smart...in fact...to smart for her own good*** waits in a kennel in the kitchen, with visits from Elsa every 1/2 hour or so***I watched them through the window when I got locked outside in the rain for two hours and no one was home***

·
Registered
111 Posts
We've never crate trained a dog before but our two new family members are in the middle of crate training right now. They seem to be doing fine. When they are older (and finished obedience training) they will probably have the run of the house.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Austin was kennel trained while we were at work (my husband worked close by to let him out every 3hours) we did this until 6 or 7 mos old, then we thought b/c he never had accidents in the house or chewed anything other than his toys , that he would be fine. We used a baby gate if we were in the family room so that we could keep a watchful eye on him at all times. we were never very far from him. well, we started leaving him for increments of 15min at a time- then if everything was fine we would praise him, and give treats. After doing that several times i guess we assumed it would be fine for longer! ahhh!! We came home to ripped up newspaper, chewed up sandal, torn shirt, and exploded pen with ink on the carpet! Back to the kennel he went, for about 2 more month with just doing the small intervals and not having the full run of the house- just kitchen to start. we slowly opened up more rooms to him when on his own over time. by about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs old he had full access to the house for the day without any concerns! He's great!

·
Registered
187 Posts
My three have the run of the house while we are out, not bedrooms or living room tho'. I have never used a crate, or seen the need to.
When the pups were small they were never left for more than a few minutes. If I had to go shopping ect I took them with me in the car and left the at my daughters while I went in the shop. As their house training became more reliable Icould leave them for longer, now they stay in quite happily while we are out. My neighbours say they dont bark and they dont chew up the house.

I think that it makes a real difference that I have 3 dogs together, they dont get lonely and if bored, they play together. I have always tried to take them every where with me I can, they love visiting, can walk round strange towns, enjoy a market and as this is something they have always done, they behave realy well. It also helps if you can give your dog a good long run!

Iguess I'm lucky in that I work from home, so I can fit in "dog time" to suit!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Maggie has two rooms that she can go into while Im gone.. the kitchen and family room, also we have a fenced in yard so off the kitchen is a doggie door,she is 5 months old, she hasnt been crated since she was 3 months old.... all other rooms are closed off to her

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
Samson is crated. But a lot of that is because he's still not entirely housebroken (though it's been a couple weeks since he's had an accident).

I'm not sure what we'll do once he's past that. He'll probably stay in our room....

Rick

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Lexi has free roam. She has since she was around 1 year of age. She is now 5. She is "in charge" when mommy's gone. :)

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
Lexie's Mom said:
Lexi has free roam. She has since she was around 1 year of age. She is now 5. She is "in charge" when mommy's gone. :)
Yeah....I hope by then we can do that to.... Just ain't gonna happen at 4 months.......:no:

Rick

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
When we got Maggie at 8 weeks, she was using a dog door at the breeders house, I also think it helped that we have 2 other dogs besides Maggie , so she was following them around alot. She was fully house trained at 3 months old which made it easier. Now mind you we have placed objects around those two rooms so she cant get to the electric cords. She is a bit on the wild side and we took her to puppie classes and now she is in private lessons, hoping to calm her down quite a bit.

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
I have read that having an older dog when you get a puppy helps for training, since a lot of times the older dog will train by example.

Samson might be housebroken now.....who knows. No accidents in a couple weeks.... And when we go outside, he goes straight to the corner and goes. So we may have that worked out.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I think it did help.. the other dogs are 14 and everytime they went out Maggie followed them, 1 doesnt have anything to do with Maggie but the other does, I have learned in the past having 2 keeps them company and helps alot in the training. I realy like how you did the 3 pictures of samson , how did u do that> He looks alot like Maggie.

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
Maggies mom said:
I realy like how you did the 3 pictures of samson , how did u do that> He looks alot like Maggie.
I used an old program Microsoft had, called Photodraw. It was a cheapy Photoshop and easier to use.

Then I uploaded it to a sig hosting site. Then linked it to my signature. I've been doing signatures for my kids for ever, with their video gaming.

And with a new puppy, it's just like a new baby.....you got to show off the baby pictures....

Rick

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Its a great picture, but Im not that good with computers etc..Im lucky to be able to scan pictures and find them etc....

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
We used to put up a baby gate and leave Buffy in the kitchen and laundry room til she was probably around 1. That's about when she quit chewing everything in sight. My wooden kitchen table and chairs though paid a price! Since then, she's had free roam of the house but spends the afternoons outside in our fenced, locked yard when the weather is nice. (Over 45 with no rain is our criteria.)

Now with Abby in the picture for the past month, for the most part they both have had free roam. There have been a couple days though when we've gotten the baby gate back out and put Abby in the kitchen for chewing reasons also. She seems to have figured out though why she was being isolated because there has been no chewing for a week or so.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts