Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breeze wants to know!

We went hunting yesterday at Long Point, which is on the north shore of Lake Erie. Friends had hunted there on Friday and had their limit by 11am. Yesterday it was a duck ghost town. We saw one nice big flock of canvasbacks in the distance, and had a couple of buffies, ruddies and bluebills do flybys on us (none that we could hit, much to Breeze's disgust!), but were not getting any mallards or redheads. Friends hunting at Mitchell's Bay on Lake St. Clair reported a similar dearth of birds. We have not had a hard freeze yet, and plenty of corn is still coming off the fields--lots of food for them here yet, and perfect duck weather yesterday so we just couldn't figure it!

Are any of our folks in Ohio, Penna, or NY seeing the birds?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,586 Posts
The waterfowl season is close to done around here. :( We started the "hard water" season Saturday morning. The Ice fishing season will be underway by thursday.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are normally starting to see big flocks of birds moving down from the north now as the "hard season" begins there. We should still be getting lots of birds, and will still have the whistlers coming through at the end of our season in December. It iss very weird....

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got some pics off my camera from Sunday

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts