Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you stop feeding them puppy food?

And when will be a good time to breed?

And, how often do yall worm your golden?

·
Registered
414 Posts
When do you stop feeding them puppy food?

Depending on who you talk to you will 10 different answers. My belief is no sooner than 10 - 12 months.

You should wait until at least 2 years of age since it is only then that you can get an accurate read on hip conditions. You should not breed at all if your dog doesn't pass the health clearances.

After their puppy worming, the only worming I do is Sentinel from April to October which takes care of Heartworm, intestinel worms and fleas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rachel,
I need to put in my $.02 in about when to stop the puppy food. I have 3 friends and myself who all have different vets and also was told this by my "very reputable" breeder that you should stop feeding puppy food between 4 to 6months(6months being the latest). Reason being that it allows to rapid a growth for the puppy if fed puppy food any longer which could lead to joint and hip problems later in life. It is more of a concern with larger breeds that have problems with hip and elbow displasia. There is a more medical explaination for what actually happens and maybe there are some members in this forum that are more knowledgable in this area that can explain it better. Hope this is of some help.:)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm not sure about regular puppy food, I should find out, but I am assuming people are feeding their Goldens Large Breed Puppy food. With large breed puppy food you are controling the growth of your puppy just for that reason, you don't want to stress the jionts. LBP food slows and controls the growth. I've heard it should be fed for 12 months.

From the majority of Golden owners and breeders I know, they do feed LBP. That is why I decided to use it.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Interesting to mention maybe is that we have to bowls, one for Kia and one for her puppy Lila. If we let them choose. Kia would always go to eat puppy food and Lila would always go for adult mix.
Just wanted to mention it. It is kind of weird. Maybe they just prefer the taste :)
Joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rachel - I want to select my words carefully here because I certainly don't want to offend anyone :) and I also don't want to come across as an expert :confused: .

Your question sounds as though you have not had your puppy to the vet yet. Your vet is the person to ask these questions. You and your vet will be able to determine these answeres much, much better than we can here on a forum like this. Please trust your vet and feel free to discuss any concerns or questions you have about your dog.

While this (and all internet forums) are great fun and very informative, we are just common folks talking about our love for our dogs and sharing our experiences. We're certainly not experts.

·
Registered
414 Posts
True, you should often consult your vet, but I've seen some vets that push their own goods (Science Diet :yuck:) and don't actually know all that is new in nutrition.

Worming and breeding you should definitely consult your Vet and your breeder too.

Like anything Web Based, consider your sources and get more than one opinion. I go to sites where I trust the opinions of certain members fully.

·
Must be gold
128 Posts
Rachel said:
do you stop feeding them puppy food?
I know of some who fed their golden puppies adult food all the way and the dogs turned out excellent.

Rachel said:
Never and unless you have all the health clearances and homes. Too many dogs are ending up in shelters or being put down because of irresponsible breeding. Dog pregnancy should be viewed just like human pregnancy. You are creating lives here, not money. So please be responsible to yourself and your dog.

Rachel said:
After the puppy stage, should be carried out annually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts