Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you talk to your dog(s)?

I just noticed on my walk today that I carry out almost full conversations with them. Not just "heel", "good boy", "sit"... but stuff like "wow look at that neighbour's Christmas lights, they look awesome! Do you think we should do what they did next year?"... "Skoker, is Molson pulling again? I can tell because he's yanking my arm out of the socket"... "Are you guys getting tired yet? Is the rain too cold for you? Let me know when we should turn around and go home".

Luckily our neighbourhood is pretty quiet so I don't *think* any of my neighbours have heard me :uhoh:

Please tell me I'm not the only one!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
You're definitely not the only one....I carry on conversations with my dogs all the time during our walk...tonight it was about Christmas lights, some other dogs we saw, the bunny they saw, the snow we were walking in......an hour's worth of complete babble!!!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Count me in the 'talks to dogs' group...
When walking, when in the car...when folding laundry..really doesn't make any difference...I chatter, chatter, chatter.... :)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Yep I talk to mine on walks. Usually it's more like "no leave that piece of trash alone, no don't eat that poop, no stop staring at that kitty" LOL

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
yup, talk to her all the time - not just on walks. i do believe she mostly tunes me out :)

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
I constantly talk to my dogs - according to Kevin, I just constantly talk in general :D

I always compliment them when they have nice, solid poops too...that can be embarrassing when you realize there is someone else on the sidewalk!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Count me in too! Tonight it was about the newest lights that had gone up in the neighbourhood and the fact that we were walking in the rain even though it's December. Oh and then we had the meaningful "Drop the styrofoam Lily. I mean it. No, don't give me the puppy dog eyes, you still can't keep it..."

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes. All the time. I had a conversation with him today that went something like...

"listen Dodgie, my arm hurts from the flu shot so you can't pull ok? If you agree, shake a paw....good....lets go"

sometimes Dodger will whine if there is dog across the street or something so I ussually respond so him with.."really? ...yes I know"

.....people probably think I'm crazy

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Worse. I talk to myself. It's because of my anxiety. It's better now but I still do it even on great days, if I am planning or thinking of something (like planning a transport). I sing too. Then I realize someone's been behind me for two miles. LOL

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh yes! All day long! Koda listens and licks in agreement and sneezes in disagreement. Maybe I just imagine that all of his noises and movements are in response to my chatter... *maybe*

Butters just huffs, turns his head and pretends he doesn't hear me.

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Yes. And, then he talks back. :p:

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Non stop chatter to them. It's normal to me, but I did take the boys to the beach with a coworker last spring and she finally asked me if I ever stopped talking to them. LOL. I just plain didn't realize that people DON'T talk to their dogs all the time.

I also talk to myself. It can be embarrassing when I am at the grocery store talking to myself while I choose my produce and I realize that someone is looking at me.

My mom told me I had diarrhea of the mouth when I was a kid. I think she's right. It just never stops.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
lol, oh yeah. I love taking walks because I can get a lot off my chest. They are excellent listeners.

I do also talk to myself, though. If I'm at the store or something. I used to talk to myself when I would walk home from school, too.

Or if I'm driving somewhere...

·
Registered
185 Posts
oh yeah, I talk to The Girls all the time---not just on walks but all day long it seems. It can be a bit embarrassing when someone is coming up behind you and your just babbling away to them :uhoh:
They tend to follow me all over the house so I catch myself saying "let's go do some laundry" or something just as silly. Hubby ofen says "what did you say?" And I'll have to tell him I was just talking to the dogs !!

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
You're not alone. I talk to Coby all the time. And in all of his 11 years, do you think he's ever answered me??? Not even a grunt! LOL

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
It's one of the reasons I'm getting a dog...having someone to talk to when I walk :)! Seriously, I can't wait for Tess to come home, next Friday, and I'm sure I'll talk to her all day long!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts