Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people would leave their dog alone in their home with someone just coming by to feed, walk etc when they go away?
When a dog is boarded, he is let out at least 3 times a day, and there are people at least within sight all throughout the day.
If someone comes to your home (not stay in your home), how many times a day is the person in your home? How has this worked or not worked? How many days were you gone?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have had it done twice. One time it worked very well, I had two people coming to the house - each came 2 to 3 times, and it was for 3 days.

The other time was less than 24 hours, and only one dog was home, the person let my dog out and fed him that night, but the next morning I came home at noon time, and it was very obvious nobody had come. My dog then was elderly, and my kitchen floor was covered with pee and dogs mess. I called my mother-in-law to see if she came over, and she said she didn't have time because she was baking.:doh: I was shocked - especially since she had talked me and my husband into going away that night.

Anytime I have boarded at a vet, kennel or doggy camp, I have always felt they had the attention they needed.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
It's very hard for dogs to be home alone without you, with someone just checking in on them a couple times a day.
When you are home without your dog, isn't it just weird? He is part of your life there in the house; he belongs there. But when you are at, for example, a hotel you don't feel as weird not having him there because he isn't part of that part of your life.
The same appears to be true of dogs, only more so because they don't understand what's happening. All they know is that at approximately the same time every day you appear, and you are there for the rest of the night until the next morning. When that doesn't happen, they can get very, very stressed.
They miss you less when they are boarded at a good kennel. You aren't part of that routine, and you don't belong there. There's always someone around, other dogs around, and things to do.

·
Matt
235 Posts
I know if we ever go somewhere without our dog, well either use a kennel or take the dog to the in laws. I would never...never leave my dog home alone with someone just coming by a couple times a day. While I do make difference between humans and dogs, or for animals for that matter, I akin a family pet to a 3 year old, and I definitely wouldn't leave my 3 year old home alone.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually we drive and take Brooks, but this time we must go too far and must fly to be with an ailing family member.
The idea of leaving Brooks here at the house without someone living here makes me feel sick--yes, just as if a child were left here in the house alone.
I even worry when my son is in the house with my dog and we are gone. He doesn't wake up when we do (so Brooks' schedule will be disrupted) and in Brooks' mind (although he is in his own house with a family member) he will have no idea what happened to us and why we aren't coming back.
However, our son who is now in graduate school in a nearby city, won't be able to stay the whole time while we are gone so I have to make arrangements for the time when he will be gone. I thought of having a college age child of friends stay here, but really Brooks doesn't know that person at all.
I think being boarded at the vets will be the best bet (if they are open over New Years holiday that is)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I am eager to see the responses to this thread as I am having a dilemma of this type as well. I had a trusted pet sitter who would stay at my home at night and let the dogs out twice during the day. One time in 20 years she forgot to stay and my 2 dogs and 3 cats were left without care for more than 24 hours. We sorted it out so that such a thing could never happen again and she continued to care for my pets.
Unfortunately, my pet sitter has become seriously ill and can no longer help out. In April I have a mandatory business trip and no pet sitter. I am doing my research and asking everyone for in-put on boarding and/or having a house/pet sitter. One problem is I have 3 geriatric cats who hide when anyone new is in the house so that means they probably won't eat. One of them requires medication so most likely I will have to board them. They have never been boarded in their 18 years so I worry about the effect this will have on them.
A few boarding places for the dogs were suggested but I was very unhappy with their appearance and some of the reviews on them so I am trying to sort out the best option for all of my "kids".
This is so difficult!

Reactions: luvbuzz

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm weird about that. Since having dogs for the past 10 years I've never left them for much more than half a day. Can't even get myself to board them at a kennel. The only time I've been away either my husband was staying home or the dogs went with us. I always do the holidays here because I feel bad leaving them behind all day long. If I have to go for a full day I have my daughter come over and let them out and feed and water them.
I would have my daughter or a friend come stay at the house with them, but not all by themselves, too much to get into.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
It's very hard for dogs to be home alone without you, with someone just checking in on them a couple times a day.
When you are home without your dog, isn't it just weird? He is part of your life there in the house; he belongs there. But when you are at, for example, a hotel you don't feel as weird not having him there because he isn't part of that part of your life.
The same appears to be true of dogs, only more so because they don't understand what's happening. All they know is that at approximately the same time every day you appear, and you are there for the rest of the night until the next morning. When that doesn't happen, they can get very, very stressed.
They miss you less when they are boarded at a good kennel. You aren't part of that routine, and you don't belong there. There's always someone around, other dogs around, and things to do.
I have to politely disagree. It can be very stressful for a dog to go to a kennel, depending on the dog and their personality. If they can stay in their own home and be cared for by someone who gives them at least 30 minutes of care per visit (most of my clients opt for three times a day), including walking, they are much less stressed. They are in a familiar environment when nobody is there, no different than when the owner is gone to work, and they get their walks, food and loving by someone who comes by to take care of them.

I think boarding works well in many instances, but to say that boarding them is a better options just isn't true. It really depends on the dog and the circumstances.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I was very happy having a petsitter come in the few times I had to be away in the past years, however she did stay over night. I would not be comfortable leaving the dogs all day and night with only a brief visit by someone twice a day. My rambunctious 2 year old would have too many opportunities to get into mischief...

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
For me, personally, I could never leave my dog at home with just someone coming by a few times a day because I would never stop worrying. What if the house caught fire? What if someone broke in? And what would she think if I didn't come home all night? That's never happened in her life.

When I was younger, we looked after our neighbour's dog when they went away. We'd go in and visit and let her out, several times a day. But she would just sit and cry while we were there. She missed her people so much. I'll never forget that. It broke my heart.

If I have to be away, I have left my dog with my trusted breeders. I now home board her with her dogwalker.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
None of my dogs would do well at a kennel.... even one they know, ( I use to work at one) and they hated it there...I wouldnt have someone come in few times a day. I have always had someone come stay at my house that knows my dogs....

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Whe our kids were young, there were a few times we couldn't take our dogs with us on vacation. We boarded them once and really regretted that!
Then we also had my dad come and stay at our house which was great and another time had a neighbor come by several times to let them out.

For the last 14 years I have never left my dogs. We take them or we don't go. I am much more protective of them now, treat them as family members, not dogs.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We hit this when we got the dreaded call my Mother was dying. This was before having the goldens. I was a wreck and just knew I needed to get to my Mother. Boarding was so expensive and I knew I would stay for at least a week. Thankfully my Vet's office had a home sitter (she came over 3 times a day) and played with my dogs and fed, took them outside for romps. I didn't like the quick circumstances of this, but had little recource. My DH was sweet enough to drive the long drive back on day #3 and spent the time with the dogs until Mom's funeral. Hope I never need to drop and run again, but know my little ones would be more happy at home than kenneled at a strange place. Just the best we could do.

Rest of the time if we must be away for a day our daughter just comes over and stays with them during the day. She is known by the dogs and honestly they don't seem to mind us being gone. For extended stay, just don't know since we are a multi dog family. Hope I don't have to hit this.

Reactions: LaylaBauer1718

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
We always board with our vet. He has a seperate boarding area, heat & AC, a totally, gatless play area, seperate "bathroom" rea, etc. And Honey loes everyone there.

Last Wednesday I was going to the bit outlet mall above San Antonio with my son early that morning. Hubby was due in from South Carolina a little after noon. But I will boarded Honey that morning. As it turned out, hubby was a little later than planned getting home and he picked her up about 3:00 that afternoon.

IF I had KNOWN FOR SURE Hubby would have been here by 1:00m, I MIGHT have let her stay home for that 4 hours. But things happen and I could not take a chance. However, if I am going to be gone over night, it is always boarding time. Last year we went on a little vacation and actually it it short by a day to get home and get Honey out of boading. Okay, we are over protective, but I worry about my old girl.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
We've never boarded our dogs since it's not something we would feel comfortable with. It works for some people, but for us it doesn't.

I also wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the dogs at home and just having someone come visit from time to time. When we go on vacation, we will either send Chester to my parents house (which is like a second home to him so he feels comfortable there). Or we have someone close to us who we trust basically live at our house while we're gone. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with Chester being by himself overnight.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
No kennel for us. The only time we left Casey in 13 years was for our marriage and even then it was because of my wonderful brother coming and staying at our home. If we had to go for business or family emergency, we also have a sweet dog sitter that can stay at our house. I just don't have the heart to leave them. I promised my husband that I will take a vacation now that we have Jessie but she's coming too!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,605 Posts
I prefer to have someone I know come and stay at my house the few times I've been gone and couldn't take mine. Most of the time, my guys come with me.

When my son graduated from College in May 2010, I boarded them at my Vet Clinic, I didn't want to, but felt I had no choice. My Bridge boy was almost 15, he'd never been boarded before ever. I felt he needed to have someone checking on him regularly. I live 25 miles one way from the closest E-Vet. I knew with him being at the Vet Clinic, if he needed any medical attention, he would get it right away.
My girl is a former puppy mill momma, she spent the first two years of her life in a cage. Needless to say, she did not do well being Boarded even though she was in the same kennel with my Bridge boy. I had some behavior issues with her for a few days afterwards. I will NEVER board her again.

I'm going to have one of the Forum members Golden girl staying with me while her mom goes home to visit family over the holidays. I'm really looking forward to having her here, Remy just loves this girl and will be so excited to see her again.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
In the past, when we had just one dog, we boarded Tess (toy spaniel) with her groomer in her home where she was pampered to bits. Next time we go away, I will try to leave both dogs with my sister. If that's not possible, I'm guessing we'll board them after researching a good place.

Personally I would never go away for days at a time and leave my dogs in the house with someone visiting. Unless the sitter could stay in the house with the dogs, they'd go somewhere where they'd have people or dogs around them during the day.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
We always boarded Lucy and Desi at the facility where we trained until we got my mom's mini schnauzer after Mom passed away. Hannah has a major meds regimen morning and night and it just wasn't possible for the facility to implement it. One of my very good friends has a daughter in college, so Heather comes to stay when we go out of town. She is there except for when she goes to school or work, with a schedule much like ours. The girls love their Aunt Heather and we can be assured all the dogs get what they need. Heather likes the extra cash, too. :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
My dogs stay with Grandma (my mommy) while we're away.

I boarded Tucker once, he came back smelly, molting (extremely!), and he wouldn't come near me for 3 days!

We don't live near anyone (friends OR family) so Grandma is our only option!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts