Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how did your first dog change? Did they settle down? Seem more content? Get into more trouble? Seek more attention from you? I was just wondering how Tucker would change with a second dog. I suspect he would be a bad influence....:)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I introduced my golden Toby then 7 1/2 weeks to my then 2 year old labmix Thunder. Thunder was not too sure about the pup in the first couple of weeks. He would growl at the pup, when he layed down next to him and wanted to play. But Thunder was never mean and never snapped. After the initial couple of weeks getting used to each other, they started playing together. From the start, Thunder was Toby's big brother and hero. The never had a fight, they are inseparable.
A little over a year ago, I took in a stray dachshund puppy. There was a bit of pouting, a bit of jealousy, but they got used to each other and there were never any fights. All three are happy brothers now.
You just have to make sure that you pet the older dog first, give him the treats and food first, let him know that he was there first and is the top dog in your book. If he will dominate as the top dog eventually with the new dog, only time will tell. Toby never wanted to be top dog, Dachsi wanted to be top dog from the start, I am talking about the dachshund. He is top dog over Toby but not Thunder. Toby lets anybody be top dog over him, lol. Thunder is still top dog over both, even if the dachshund disagrees with that at times, lol.

·
Registered
21,015 Posts
We got my Toby when Tiny turned 1 year old, because she was hyper and obnoxious and we figured another dog would settle her down. It did!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
At 2 1/2 years old, it did settle down Brady and he stopped chewing on my children.

Occasionally, they will get in a fight - but don't all brothers and sisters?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Lucy was nine years old when we brought puppy Amber home. Lucy was/is my shadow, and she was jealous of the attention Amber got. She still is a year later. When I sit on the floor, they both try to be next to me. If Lucy wins, Amber will crouch and bark at her. Lucy has learned some bad habits from Amber, but they generally get along. They play together a lot, and Lucy has trimmed down a few pounds from the exercise. They have an occasional fight, usually when Amber gets too close to Lucy's food dish -- that is still off limits. And Amber [the Shark] bit Lucy too hard a few times and got put in her place. Life was simpler when we just had one dog, but we are hoping to get back to that eventually. Amber is thirteen months old now and still a puppy in many ways. She is taller than Lucy now but still knows she is second dog in our family.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Bijou, my mom's late Bichon was 9 when we got Lucky. Lucky, golden, was 6 months old I think when I got Mika, cat, then 2 years later Tallulah, cat. Getting Lucky seemed to reinvigorate Bijou for a few years til he passed for Liver Cancer at 13.

Even as a puppy he was curious about the cats but stayed out of their way.

Lucky was an only dog from fall 2001 til I got Cozy in the summer of 2006. The other yorkies are Cozy's daughters. Lucky's personality never changed. Cozy became very territorial after she had the 2 nd litter. She is fine with other dogs but doesn't like humans other than her family she has known since puppyhood. She is fine with everyone when I visit relatives.

Cozy became the doggie alpha from the time she was a puppy. Lucky didn't care. She is still the doggie alpha even only Buddy, new golden. Buddy is still very puppy like in his behavior- One low growl from Cozy and belly up he rolls which is good because he could easily hurt her daughters with his antics.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
I am actually looking for an older or rescue Golden. I think two dogs can wear out energy together better than walks or playing fetch. Dakota has her sister at the back of the property and they will wear each other out playing, but that's usually only on weekends with all our schedules being different. I have someone home pretty much all the time. Plus I want to help a dog that might be harder to place due to age.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
how did your first dog change? Did they settle down? Seem more content? Get into more trouble? Seek more attention from you? I was just wondering how Tucker would change with a second dog. I suspect he would be a bad influence....:)
Is this an imminent question???:crossfing

I'm curious as well because I fear Toby would be a terrible influence on a new puppy. His ophthalmologist suggested we wait a while longer to give his eyes a chance to fully heal and I am thinking of using that time to sign up for a refresher obedience course.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this an imminent question???:crossfing

I'm curious as well because I fear Toby would be a terrible influence on a new puppy. His ophthalmologist suggested we wait a while longer to give his eyes a chance to fully heal and I am thinking of using that time to sign up for a refresher obedience course.
Hoping so, but Tucker is my own worst enemy when he steals a banana nut bread off the counter. My wife just sees total chaos with 2. :(

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Jasmine was 2 years old or so when I started fostering. She was in heaven, her only other full time canine companion was our psycho corgi/chow mix who attacked quite regularly. After 2 1/2 years of fostering, Jasper came in as a foster and Jasmine fell in love (at this point, we had psycho dog and sweet Tess who was a senior golden who was a permanent foster with us who was losing her battle with cancer) and so did I. Jasper is sweet Tess reincarnated, truly, he has almost all of her personality traits. A year and a half later, Danny came in, was a foster for 6 months and by then, Jasmine, Jasper and I were all in love with him (Tess had passed of cancer 3 months after I adopted Jasper and I had the psycho dog put to sleep due to increasing aggression towards Jasmine and non family members).

The three of them are the best of friends!

LOL! I didn't answer your question. None of their behaviors changed at all. Jasmine has always been a high energy girl, but pretty well behaved. Jasper has always been docile and Danny has always been wide open. For some reason, it works for all of them.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
My two boys couldn't be more different. Bogey did settle down a bit when Ace came home, but he was never a wild boy to begin with. Ace, on the other hand, is our tornado. He is always looking for the next adventure. They get along great and are a good yin and yang. They play together often and are also okay to chill out without each other. Bogey is more independent and Ace is a shadow.

Sometimes they do get in double the trouble, but not very often. (If one gets in the trash, the other will definitely follow.)

I think they are good company for one another, but it really is twice the work. Vacuuming took on a whole new kind of serious. And grooming. And double the training.

But I wouldn't change it for the world.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uh oh...:uhoh::doh: It sounds Tucker and Toby are dogs that think alike!
Tucker is killing me. He is so naughty. You have to keep your guard up, because the second it lapses, he is into something. He loves puppies, so I know it would work out. Just wondering if it would be total chaos, as my wife thinks. She is thinking tag team action! Personally, I think they will play until they drop, and he will actually get into less trouble. In reality, he is a good dog 95% of the time. But is incredibly opportunistic the other 5%. I have told my sons a million times not to leave food sitting around unattended, but they dont listen, so I have stopped telling them. Now I find it humorous, which annoys my sons. But let's be honest, how many times do you have to lose a sandwich or cupcake to a dog before you figure out that you can't leave the room with Tucker there and expect it to be there when you get back? My youngest just made brownies. Just heard him yell "Off!". Most likely Tucker put his front paws on the family room side of the kitchen counter for a little recon...:doh: He is gonna need to be 15 before my wife lets me get a pup at this rate....

Keep the comments coming. I need some hope!

(BTW, he does get walked, and exercised. I honestly think he needs a sister...)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hunter was a wild boy at one and a half years old when we got 4 month old Mako. He barked and growled at him for a good 5 minutes and then they started to play and haven't stopped yet! We watch them run and play hard and realize there is no way they would ever get that kind of exercise with a couple of 60 year olds! Both boys are long and lean and keep each other entertained for hours ... but that's not to say they aren't "partners in crime" plenty of times too. I think adding a sibling will benefit everyone!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Tucker is killing me. He is so naughty. You have to keep your guard up, because the second it lapses, he is into something. He loves puppies, so I know it would work out. Just wondering if it would be total chaos, as my wife thinks. She is thinking tag team action! Personally, I think they will play until they drop, and he will actually get into less trouble. In reality, he is a good dog 95% of the time. But is incredibly opportunistic the other 5%. I have told my sons a million times not to leave food sitting around unattended, but they dont listen, so I have stopped telling them. Now I find it humorous, which annoys my sons. But let's be honest, how many times do you have to lose a sandwich or cupcake to a dog before you figure out that you can't leave the room with Tucker there and expect it to be there when you get back? My youngest just made brownies. Just heard him yell "Off!". Most likely Tucker put his front paws on the family room side of the kitchen counter for a little recon...:doh: He is gonna need to be 15 before my wife lets me get a pup at this rate....

Keep the comments coming. I need some hope!

(BTW, he does get walked, and exercised. I honestly think he needs a sister...)
I am laughing here because our two sound so similar! I can certainly understand your wife's thinking because it's been in the back of my mind too--Toby will just have a partner in mischief if we add a new puppy. I'm hoping this puppy will be able to train with me for pet therapy work and my fear is Toby will teach him his "tricks" early on. I can just see Future Puppy going after the tennis balls the little old ladies put on their walkers to navigate the floors easier, thanks to Toby's example. :doh: Maybe you are right though--the pup will tire Tucker out and he will mellow.

It may be easier to train the boys about leaving things out! We found that it was easier for us to just get rid of the temptation, and believe me, if one of us forgets, Toby reinforces the training almost immediately. The last "incident" was with the Keurig K cups and Maggie Moo creamers. I swear he hangs out by the Keurig machine in hopes I'll forget again. ;)

Good luck with your wife. I honestly think it will work out for everyone and just think--all that love to share with the new one! Your puppy will win the doggie lottery if you add one to the family! :D

Oh, and when we added Toby to the family, Barkley was perfectly fine with it, though I imagine in the back of his mind he wished we had not done it because he was a love bug and just wanted our love. He was so patient with Toby during his biting puppy phase. We only heard a warning growl a couple of times and Toby always backed off. They did tag team us though on a few capers, including raiding the food storage bin. We upgraded after that to a Vittle Vault. Towards the end Barkley began tattling on Toby when Toby countersurfed something and didn't share (peanut butter jar, oatmeal cannister, etc).

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
I have 4, two is pretty easy, but, the naughty one, may teach the other some bad habits, i have a counter surfer,and a jumper, spirit, but so far, he has not influenced cambridge to do this.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Some of these stories sure sound familiar...
Sierra was the center of our world and she knew it.
With Lance's first overnight, we knew they would get along pretty good.
Sierra started changing about 2 weeks after Lance came, she is bossy, takes his toys and all around bullies and teases him a lot. Sometimes really naughty.
Lance seems to take it in stride, he's the one upside down all the time during the wrestling matches.
But it's funny at the dog park they hang tight and don't venture far from one another at all.
Lance was kind of standoffish with us, as Sierra eats up attention.
These last few months he has started to push his way in to get the chest rubs, and ear scratches too. Hugs and kisses from me not so much, but tolerates.
I don't know if I'd do two dogs at once again, but would never change what I have right now. I love them both so much.

Lance and Sierra

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am laughing here because our two sound so similar! I can certainly understand your wife's thinking because it's been in the back of my mind too--Toby will just have a partner in mischief if we add a new puppy. I'm hoping this puppy will be able to train with me for pet therapy work and my fear is Toby will teach him his "tricks" early on. I can just see Future Puppy going after the tennis balls the little old ladies put on their walkers to navigate the floors easier, thanks to Toby's example. :doh: Maybe you are right though--the pup will tire Tucker out and he will mellow.

It may be easier to train the boys about leaving things out! We found that it was easier for us to just get rid of the temptation, and believe me, if one of us forgets, Toby reinforces the training almost immediately. The last "incident" was with the Keurig K cups and Maggie Moo creamers. I swear he hangs out by the Keurig machine in hopes I'll forget again. ;)

Good luck with your wife. I honestly think it will work out for everyone and just think--all that love to share with the new one! Your puppy will win the doggie lottery if you add one to the family! :D

Oh, and when we added Toby to the family, Barkley was perfectly fine with it, though I imagine in the back of his mind he wished we had not done it because he was a love bug and just wanted our love. He was so patient with Toby during his biting puppy phase. We only heard a warning growl a couple of times and Toby always backed off. They did tag team us though on a few capers, including raiding the food storage bin. We upgraded after that to a Vittle Vault. Towards the end Barkley began tattling on Toby when Toby countersurfed something and didn't share (peanut butter jar, oatmeal cannister, etc).
Honestly, it is easier to train Tucker than teenage boys. You are right it is more of a management issue with a counter surfer, but I am the only one who has that mentality. My wife is busy with a million things so she will forget, and the boys, their teenagers. I bought a good gate to keep him out of the kitchen, but he will do a low fly by pass when we let him thru to go be with someone else in the house. He will also lay down in the middle of the kitchen floor under the guise of sleeping, like an alligator waiting for his next meal. He is like Toby, very smart. Funny thing is, he is a great therapy dog too. He never pulls any of those tricks when working, and the patients love hearing the stories of stolen sandwiches, greeting us at the door with dirty underwear, etc. I am sure Toby will only teach your new puppy good things...:)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Honestly, it is easier to train Tucker than teenage boys. You are right it is more of a management issue with a counter surfer, but I am the only one who has that mentality. My wife is busy with a million things so she will forget, and the boys, their teenagers. I bought a good gate to keep him out of the kitchen, but he will do a low fly by pass when we let him thru to go be with someone else in the house. He will also lay down in the middle of the kitchen floor under the guise of sleeping, like an alligator waiting for his next meal. He is like Toby, very smart. Funny thing is, he is a great therapy dog too. He never pulls any of those tricks when working, and the patients love hearing the stories of stolen sandwiches, greeting us at the door with dirty underwear, etc. I am sure Toby will only teach your new puppy good things...:)
Just like my guy, except for the therapy dog. There is no way he'd pass the test (my good friend is the tester for the group I'd join if I could). We took him to my FIL's Dallas nursing home before he left for NC, but we made sure to stay outside and wheel my FIL to him. Surprisingly he was very gentle with him, as if he knew and my FIL (Toby is named after him) was thrilled to see him!

I think your wife should do a "trial run" with the puppy--and the puppy's sweet little kissable face will work her magic on her, guaranteed! ;)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We currently have three and I think it is the perfect number for us. We tend to space them out, so there is 3 -5 years between them, though that doesn't apply to the current group (Bailey is almost 11, Riley is almost 8 and Banker is 16 months).
Fortunately the Sheepies are puppies forever, so Banker has playmates. We may have a chance to get another Golden, a 3 month old, from a friend. We are "discussing " it right now. That would be our max.

I like having the older dogs help train the younger. For instance, the older dogs seemed to realize when Banker need to go out and would alert us. They also helped him learn the routine around here - a huge plus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts