Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does your dog walk?

In front of you, behind you, or along side of you?

I personally make Bailey walk behind or along side of me. I've heard in order for me to establish leadership, this is where she needs to be. It wasn't easy teaching her this, but she will never go in front of me unless I say it's okay. Even when going up the stairs.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I honestly don't place much importance on it if we're just walking casually. Jersey certainly knows how to heel, and will remain at my side when I ask him to (for example, when walking through a crowd or past an unfamiliar dog)... but as long as he's not pulling, he's free to be wherever he likes the rest of the time. I think a lot of trainers/people in general really overemphasize the positioning of the dog. What matters is that he or she is under your control and attentive to your cues.

Julie and Jersey

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
My three walk in front of me. I have no problem with it. They don't pull and they aren't "dominant" dogs. The only time I worry about them walking next to me in the heel position is when we make our therapy dog visits, because a lot of people are intimidated by large dogs. The boys will walk next to me on their own if I have them one on one or even both of them. It's their choice, I really don't care if they are next to me or in front as long as they aren't trying to drag me along.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do remember the first few months Bailey would pull the entire way.LOL My arm use to get very sore. Now she doesn't pull at all, which is nice.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Caue and Oakly walk on my left and on heel for about half of our walk and the other half I let the Lah di Dah a sniff around.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Mine generally walk just in front of me or next to me.. and many times they are stopping every few feet to sniff the bushes, etc, so often I'm in front of them coaxing them to move it along LOL I agree with the others here, as long as they aren't pulling me, and aren't out of control, I don't really place any importance in their position in relation to myself.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Vito usually walks in front of me. If we are passing a person or dog, i will give less slack on the leash and he walks next me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts