Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Ike reached his height at about 14 months. He continued to add muscle until about 2. He's still getting coat and he'll be 3 in January. My Sam grew into his 2nd year, but he was unusually large for a Golden. His coat also continued to thicken each year...in fact, Sam became longer and shaggier the older he got. I thought that was normal too....maybe it's not.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've been wondering that too. Maya just turned 9 months. She is growing very slowly, if at all. She is 54 pounds, which is a normal adult female weight, but lots of golden owners ask me if she is full grown and they think she is small. So, I'll be interested to hear others' responses.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I've been asking this about Scout as of late as he has seemed to stall on the growth front. He is 7+ months. My husband said I was saying the same thing about Noah just prior to him shooting up. Noah I think was finished at about 14-15 months.

I keep thinking he would be cute if he stayed little. He is like a mini Noah right now.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I've heard the average to stop growing height is 12 months of age and they continue to fill out until 2 years. I've heard they don't have their full coat until their two years also.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is one of the reasons I was confused about Joy's weight. At 60+ pounds she seems lean and looks just like her mother. But as my breeder cautioned she is still growing and her bones should not carry that weight yet. So DW and I are strictly measuring Joy's food and NO MORE MARROW bones at least for a while. That was the easy way out, like a mickey for a baby. But Joy is very muscular from the beach runs and long walks, so I am not to worried that we cant slow down the weight gain.

Attachments

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez, Max is WAY over 60 pounds I'm thinking. I'll know for sure when we get him weighed today. If Joy is lean, I don't see how it is a good idea to limit her food even more. I can't imagine stunting a childs growth because he's too tall for his age - I mean, we don't do that, why would we do that to a dog? Unless she's chunky....but if she's not...I don't know if it's a good idea to give them less than they should be getting to stunt their growth...which is what the idea is, right? I also realize I don't have any experience or knowledge to put towards this - just common sense wise it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Max has been on adult food the past month plus and that's continued to slow his growth down but like I said, I think he's beyond Joy weight wise and has no problem "supporting" his weight/size. I will also be asking the vet about this as well to see if maybe his size is a potential problem?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Geez, Max is WAY over 60 pounds I'm thinking. I'll know for sure when we get him weighed today. If Joy is lean, I don't see how it is a good idea to limit her food even more. I can't imagine stunting a childs growth because he's too tall for his age - I mean, we don't do that, why would we do that to a dog? Unless she's chunky....but if she's not...I don't know if it's a good idea to give them less than they should be getting to stunt their growth...which is what the idea is, right? I also realize I don't have any experience or knowledge to put towards this - just common sense wise it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Max has been on adult food the past month plus and that's continued to slow his growth down but like I said, I think he's beyond Joy weight wise and has no problem "supporting" his weight/size. I will also be asking the vet about this as well to see if maybe his size is a potential problem?
Max's weight is probably fine for males. By lean I mean she doesnt look overweight and has defined muscle lines. We are just being careful not to over feed her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts