Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week my Pilot has been an angel! The tethering and constant watch has calmed down as has he. He is calm and sweet and the nipping has calmed and frankly he has been as angelic as a puppy can be. My question is what is the age he will start being a disobedient little brat again so my hubby and I can prepare? We are finally settling in with him in our loves and I know it's gonna get worse before it gets better!

·
Registered
618 Posts
We're still waiting for JJ to get past the nipping stage, and he's almost 4months. He seems to mock us when we tell him no. For some reason, I feel he's going to be a terror for most of his childhood, sort of like his father :) When I hear and see other people here like you talking about how your 3month old is no longer nipping, I can only wish I could relate.

·
Monty & Kahnah's mum
36 Posts
Between six and twelve months Monty became an adolescent and boy was he hard work. Hit twelve months and seemed to change overnight into a calm quiet goldie. :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
That's great that he has calmed down. It is tempting to let up with the training once the pup no longer seems like an out-of-control beast, but don't fall into that trap! :)

From my experience, the bratty phases get shorter and spread farther apart with age. I think by about 1 year old Cookie was pretty well behaved (99% of the time :))

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We never went through a 'teen' cycle. Penny was h*ll on 4 paws until she was about 3 or 4. Still has her moments at almost 10. Each pup is an individual.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Butter calmed down quite a bit around 8-9 months. He's past the nipping stage now. That being said, he's no more obedient now than he was at ~12 weeks. lol. I miss when he was x<12 weeks and would just follow me from one end of the yard to the other.

He got out of the yard yesterday (he squeezed between my legs when I went out the gate). It took me 15 minutes to corral him.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Mojo is 2.5 years old now and he is a COMPLETELY different dog than he was when he was under a year old. I NEVER thought he'd get to this point (where he's not a PITA) but he did! Just took lots of training and exercise... and genes, I'm assuming.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
When people say they went through a "teenage phase" usually around 6 months to a year..what are they doing that is different or more difficult? Koda is just over 5 months so I am starting to worry what I could be in for coming up...?

·
luverofpeanuts
154 Posts
When people say they went through a "teenage phase" usually around 6 months to a year..what are they doing that is different or more difficult? Koda is just over 5 months so I am starting to worry what I could be in for coming up...?
Me too!

We just past 24 weeks with Spirit and Aspen and I'm trying to prepare myself for more challenges. I love how truly wonderful they've been... far better than I ever expected them to be. They are puppies for sure, but they have been much quieter, much calmer than I ever expected.

The think we keep telling ourselves, is not to take how good they've been for granted. On a day when my wife works, I spend way more time "working at home" than I should, so they get more exercise/free time, an d less crate time. I'm just glad it's been working out so well for now, and I hope it continues... I'm quite sure they have it in them to continue to be wonderful ;-) I just hope we have it in us to keep up the good habits and training ;-)

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
That's when they become "know-it-alls" and push their boundaries... like teenagers do. They will test you to see what they can and can't get away with. They realize they're tall enough to reach new things. They're bigger and stronger. They conveniently forget any and all previous training they had.

Not fun, lol. You just have to double up on the training now more than ever. Don't let them get away with anything... they will learn!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have three year old twins. I would say that Butter's behavior (in terms of testing boundaries) is no different than my kids going through the "terrible threes."

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wrigley is 5 months old and in the mornings, he's straight from Hades ... Jumping, biting, trying to push me, hump me ... And this is while I'm trying to take him for a walk. Then we come home, my arm is killing me, sometimes there's blood and it's mine. Sometimes he bites the leash and get s the metal part and draws blood on himself ,.. Sigh. then for the rest of the day, he's a tater tot. hope this changes eventually because he's almost too strong for me right now ...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well today we are having a bad day. He just flipped like a switch. He is tugging at my clothes and being an absolute ****. I dunno where this came from! :p he has me so frazzled I can't even remember what I'm suppose to do when he's biting and pulling at my clothes. >< grr is it ignore him because he is digging into flesh and it's hard to do and he won't take any toys I offer. Augh what a morning..

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
My 15 month old Sunny seems to be coming out of a testing phase, getting more eager to please and decidedly Velcro Golden. But my experience has been that Goldens don't really find their brains until they are about 3 years old, becoming the loving adults that I have dreamed of.

Best of luck!
Lucy

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
so it gets worse? lol moose is at the "i'm not listening and i want to bite all your limbs" phase. i was hoping he was a super good boy and once he was finished teething he would be done lol. i guess the best (and worse) it yet to come lol

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
My girl Kye is 5 1/2 mo old and just this past week she has gone from an obedient girl to a girl who has forgotten all her training, counter surfs constantly and has found her voice. She barks all the time, mostly at nothing. Trying hard to go back to square one with her training and know this is a faze, but keeping us up a lot of the night. Heaven help me get through this stage and hope it doesn't last long. Got to say the nipping and mouthing is gone now (thankfully), but the jumping, surfing and barking have replaced it. Don't know which was worse! Haaa, but part of the puppy process I guess and know I will miss this puppy stage when it is gone. Hopefully the barking will stop and the rest is manageable.

Just enjoy your babe and double up on the training. Remember there are many here in your shoes with the about same age pup. I would be lost without the group here.

Reactions: mayapaya
1 - 20 of 23 Posts