Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I'm sorry for your loss 😢 I just read through the thread today from the beginning and was feeling extremely positive that Jaxon was going to be fine and going strong until your post that he has passed... Even so, all the words written in this thread touched my heart and served as a learning process for me. I thank you and Jaxon for sharing this experience and giving me time today to reflect and appreciate the special moments my golden retriever has given me so far.. And most importantly to cherish them... Rest in peace Jaxon....
Thank you! Cherish every day ❤

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I'm truly sorry to hear about Jason's passing but I think you handled it just right. Making the most of those 65 days was the best thing for both of you.
Thank you, I needed to hear that. After he passed I naturally cried and felt very sad but I also realized that I have spent these past 65 days loving him, spoiling him but also grieving, waiting for the storm to come and a little fearful of how everything would play out in the end. I’m so thankful we were here to help him transition. I have no doubt he felt safe in my arms. It’s just going to take time to heal. He definitely took a piece of our heart with him, but we know they always do 💔

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I am so sorry. As terrible as these things go it sounds like you gave Jackson the best scenario possible.

Reactions: JaxonsDaddy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss, but so happy you and your partner got those 65 "bonus" days with your handsome boy. Sending hugs and peace for your hearts 🕊🐾💕
Thanks so much MushyB
I am so sorry. As terrible as these things go it sounds like you gave Jackson the best scenario possible.
thank you cwag, I want to think so.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you could be with him - he would have felt comfort from that.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I was thinking of you and Jaxon just a few days ago. And then- your post. I was was so apprehensive to read. What you described was the most loving graceful passing. Jaxson was so lucky to have you as his parents. He had a life WELL LIVED. You let Jaxon tell you and gave him his final permission. You listened to your heart and love for him and you "knew". The pain and void they leave behind is crushing. Wishing you lots of care and peace during this difficult time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I was thinking of you and Jaxon just a few days ago. And then- your post. I was was so apprehensive to read. What you described was the most loving graceful passing. Jaxson was so lucky to have you as his parents. He had a life WELL LIVED. You let Jaxon tell you and gave him his final permission. You listened to your heart and love for him and you "knew". The pain and void they leave behind is crushing. Wishing you lots of care and peace during this difficult time.
Thank you so much for those words. I hope he knew we did all we could to help him. Today was the first time in over 10 years I left for work without saying “have a good day boy. I love you”. Dreading going home since he will not be there to greet me with a shoe, a toy, etc. All those “first” are especially hard. His leash and harness hang by the door and now his collar & tags hang there with them. I thought maybe I should put all his things away but for now I can’t. Emotionally too raw.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Thank you so much for those words. I hope he knew we did all we could to help him. Today was the first time in over 10 years I left for work without saying “have a good day boy. I love you”. Dreading going home since he will not be there to greet me with a shoe, a toy, etc. All those “first” are especially hard. His leash and harness hang by the door and now his collar & tags hang there with them. I thought maybe I should put all his things away but for now I can’t. Emotionally too raw.
Totally understand and empathize ten fold with you . Only those who have loved and lost and walked this walk understand. No words can really help right now. This is you and your partners path to take. I will say - it does get easier with time -
Lots of time. Nothing is wrong at this point. Baileys toys are still in his basket next to my side of the bed and it’s been eight months. I find with all my dogs that pass there are steps that I can release items. The food and shampoos go first to a rescue. (I kept filling his water dish for at least a week). Slowly I can put his bed and bowls away. We cry a lot and each time it brings us back to why we love them so much. Then the memories will soon bring smiles and laughter. I make a scrapbook of photos and anecdotes during my grief process that seems to bring some comfort. My heart is with you❣…………..You knew -
Jaxson knew…………….Please never doubt yourself (although we all do when we are hurting ) You gave him permission to run free and that was truly the most generous act of all. XO

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Totally understand and empathize ten fold with you . Only those who have loved and lost and walked this walk understand. No words can really help right now. This is you and your partners path to take. I will say - it does get easier with time -
Lots of time. Nothing is wrong at this point. Baileys toys are still in his basket next to my side of the bed and it’s been eight months. I find with all my dogs that pass there are steps that I can release items. The food and shampoos go first to a rescue. (I kept filling his water dish for at least a week). Slowly I can put his bed and bowls away. We cry a lot and each time it brings us back to why we love them so much. Then the memories will soon bring smiles and laughter. I make a scrapbook of photos and anecdotes during my grief process that seems to bring some comfort. My heart is with you❣…………..You knew -
Jaxson knew…………….Please never doubt yourself (although we all do when we are hurting ) You gave him permission to run free and that was truly the most generous act of all. XO
Thank you for sharing this with me. It helps to know that what I’m feeling is normal. Walking in from work today was as bad as I expected but that’s one day behind me. Every time I walk into the kitchen my eyes naturally check Jaxons water bowl. The scrapbook is a good idea. I will leave jaxons toys, leashes, etc… where they are for now and know it’s ok. There’s no doubt Bailey was a very special boy and loved so, so much ❤

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your Jaxson. It sounds like his final days were just about perfect and he left on his terms after hearing you give permission.

Please give yourself time and don't put his things away until you feel ready. A confession: I still have my heart-and-soul dog's collar hanging in the closet and I touch it every time I reach in to get Chumlee's leash - and she's been gone almost 25 years! I still use leashes that belong to my Bridge dogs because it feels so good to keep that connection and feel like they are still part of my everyday life.

And if I were in your shoes, I definitely, definitely would still say out loud,
“have a good day boy. I love you”.
Every. Single. Day.
Nothing wrong with that. Wishing you peace. 💗

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you. Im about to read the link that you shared. I really want Jaxon to pass here at home. The only problem I am finding is that most mobile vets that offer that service require a 24-48 hour notice. If he takes a turn for the worse and is obviously in pain, I can't let him suffer that long. At the same time, if I schedule it 24 hours from now and he is happy and pain free like he is right now, I would have trouble going thru with it. I have to figure that out.
He’s already been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Dogs don’t always show when they’re in pain. Most have a high pain tolerance, so he could be in pain and not show it. Please don’t wait until he shows he’s in a lot of pain. Prepare yourself now. Get ready to say goodbye in a few days. Then, give him a loving, dignified, and pain-free death. Keep him in your arms and constantly pet him. Tell him he’s a good dog. I truly understand what you’re going through.
Three weeks ago yesterday, I had to free my dog. Although I had her for several years, she became my comfort dog when I was diagnosed with incurable cancer last July. She just knew. Before, she was my husband’s dog. Within days after my diagnosis, she voluntarily became my dog. She was by my side every second. Letting her go was tragic. Since my diagnosis, I’ve thought about how I want to die: with dignity, respect, compassion, and without pain. When my love got to the point where she needed my help to move on, it was so hard. I loved and needed her, but I was determined to give her the death I want for myself.
She’s now in a wonderful place and getting everything ready for my arrival. She’ll be there to welcome Jaxon, too. Please give Jaxon a comfortable, loving, and dignified death. You won’t regret it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I'm so sorry to hear about your Jaxson. It sounds like his final days were just about perfect and he left on his terms after hearing you give permission.

Please give yourself time and don't put his things away until you feel ready. A confession: I still have my heart-and-soul dog's collar hanging in the closet and I touch it every time I reach in to get Chumlee's leash - and she's been gone almost 25 years! I still use leashes that belong to my Bridge dogs because it feels so good to keep that connection and feel like they are still part of my everyday life.

And if I were in your shoes, I definitely, definitely would still say out loud,
Every. Single. Day.
Nothing wrong with that. Wishing you peace. 💗
Thanks for all of that. Today has been a harder day for some reason so I needed This. ❤

61 - 77 of 77 Posts