Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Koda is 8 months and has seemed to get quite a bit bigger recently but has slowed down on the growing. I think her major growth spurts are done.

I know there comes a time when we should cut back how much she eats but I will never know when based on what she says because she will ALWAYS eat. She never leaves anything to waste. We feed her 1.5 cups three times a day right now.

Should I be cutting back?

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I think it depends on her weight gain. If she is still at a healthy weight, you can feel her ribs without pressing hard, but not see them, she is ok. Each dog is different.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Our 8 mo is getting 1.5 cu X 2 day and is getting pudgey to me. She dropped her middle meal when about 4 mo old, but until last month we had her on 4 cu a day. She started leaving some at the morning meal so started cutting back and now back to the 3 cu a day. Working well, but she is not getting the extra play we did in the summer/fall. Will be glad when classes start up again and we get moving more. Training is fun in the yard and at the park, but nothing like the workout we get at classes.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
We started to feed Bayne 2 times a day at 6 months of age, at 1 year old he now gets 3 3/4 cups a day of Purina ProPlan Adult for Large Breed. We just based it on the bag recommended amounts and his weight (around 70 lbs). We have to run into the vet to get him weighed but car rides are almost impossible with him,, he's a houdini and got out of his car harness.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I'd base it on how lean she seems to you and how much exercise she gets. If you're still giving her puppy food and you think she's done growing, perhaps it's time to switch to adult food.

How much does she weigh now? And do you know how tall she is at the shoulder?

·
Chloe's Mom
168 Posts
I was wondering the same thing when I was out walking her. Chloe is now 65 pounds and almost 8 months old. I am feeding her still 3x a day. She leaves a little food, but then comes right back within a half hour and finishes it. I guess it depends on her. I took her to the vet to make sure she wasn't getting too big and they said no she still has her "barbie curves" Chloe's mom was about 75lbs and not fat. I think it just depends on the dog. Hope this helps.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She weighs about 65 lbs at 8 months buy still has her curves too so I am thinking she is okay. We had originally planned to keep her on puppy food until she is 1 year old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts