Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Layla will be 14 months old in ten days.....she has always had sensitive stomach and was underweight.....i have been feeding her Royal Canin Prescription food for a few months and this has done the trick....her bowel movements are fine and she has gained weight....still small but up to 52 pounds....i am wondering weather its time to start feeding her adult food...the prescription food is very expensive and i believe has kept her weight down.......is it suggested to change at this time?? i was looking at purina pro plus for adult dogs over 50 pounds........any input is appreciated.....

·
Registered
569 Posts
I switched at 12 months but I’ll probably switch with the new puppy coming around 9-10. By 12 months she was looking a lil’ chubby but as soon as I switched within a week or two she was looking better. She’s 59-60 pounds.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,344 Posts
If you're thinking of using PPP, which variety are you looking at?

I order PPP SSS from Amazon, I have it on subscription, Amazon has a better price than any of the stores in my area and online.

·
Kate
20,585 Posts
I switched to adult food at 6 months with both my youngest dogs. Once their teeth come in, there's really no reason to continue feeding puppy food.

My older dog who is the dad of the puppies - was switched at 4 months.

Note - my dogs all have cast iron guts and have not dealt with sensitive stomach problems.

IF I had problems with my dog having sensitive stomach issues - I'd probably baby more with the prescription diet (RC Gastro which is probably what you are feeding).

Only time I had a dog poop issues while feeding a kibble - was when I attempted to feed Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. LOL. Huge poops and gas. Switched to a different brand and all that went away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're thinking of using PPP, which variety are you looking at?

I order PPP SSS from Amazon, I have it on subscription, Amazon has a better price than any of the stores in my area and online.
No clue. I have a coupon for one free bag up to 53.00. But not sure if I should get adult or puppy

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,465 Posts
9-12 months is fine. They are still growing and growth plates don't close until roughly 14 months. So you're dog is 14 months now so if your comfortable that's they are ready to be in non prescription food that they're at an age to do it.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,344 Posts
No clue. I have a coupon for one free bag up to 53.00. But not sure if I should get adult or puppy

Take advantage of your coupon for sure.........

What is the protein source of the current food Layla is on? If it's working, I would stay with the same protein.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,344 Posts
If Chicken is working for Layla, I would stay with it.

A lot of dogs don't do well on chicken, my guys never did. I feed PPP SSS salmon.
And I only give salmon treats-I buy Plato Pets Treats-US based company, the ingredients of their products are US sourced. And.......a portion of their sales goes to a different non profit each month.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If Chicken is working for Layla, I would stay with it.

A lot of dogs don't do well on chicken, my guys never did. I feed PPP SSS salmon.
And I only give salmon treats-I buy Plato Pets Treats-US based company, the ingredients of their products are US sourced. And.......a portion of their sales goes to a different non profit each month.
But do u think at 14 months she is ready for adult food?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But do u think at 14 months she is ready for adult food?
Not really. When he prescribed the Royal Canin, I didn’t question it. Feed her cup and 3/4 twice daily. As I said, she has done well on it although I think her weight is still not where it should be. The $ amount is crazy at 90 per bag. I asked him once if I should or could switch and his response was wait til she’s 18 months. But gave no other reply or reason. My feeling if I switch her, worst that can happen is if she doesn’t tolerate new food I can switch back. I’m just not sure what to switch her to. I know the PPP gets good reviews. But I don’t know if she still has digestive issues. This is not my first rodeo. I’ve had five other dogs including a golden. I always switched to adult food at 12 months without issues. I also always purchased the better quality stuff. I’m not convinced anymore about food and which is good or bad. I know so many who simply buy the cheapest garbage in the supermarket and their animals live to 14-15 years. Me, who has been very diligent with not only food but regular vet appointments, heart worm meds flea and tick meds etc and my dogs live to an average of 10 years. So who knows???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts