Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
The hormones allow the puppy to develop as nature intended-for an extreme example, think of the castrati and eunechs. The articles referenced do a good job explaining some of the issues that can arise sometimes-without the hormones signaling maturity to the body, limbs can grow longer (and less stable) than they otherwise would, which can cause issues such as ACL tears.

While less noticeable with females, they can be taller, rangier, narrower head. I saw this distinctly with a male from my last litter who was neutered, against my advice and my warranty, at 4 months of age. Taller, rangier, no rib spring or chest-the difference between him and his littermates was noticeable-so much so that his owners wanted to know why he looked so different.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
Our breeder has in the contract that we cannot spay before 9months or the guarantee will be void..

Hormones are a natural part of growing and maturing.. When you spay you take those away and the body gets confused! Hence what Tahnee GR was stating, they grow out of proportion.. and not necessarly to breed standard basically! Our breeder preferred we wait till her first heat. The first heat is okay and does not really increase the chance of cancers.. Its more if you wait a couple heats!

Honestly my American eskimo was never spayed and she lived a happy healthy life and died of old age this past March!

We will be waiting for Cedar to probably go into her first heat, or at least make it to 12 months or more and fully finish growing!

·
Loves His 2 Goldens!!
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
How do I know what to decide for what is best for my golden? I don't want to mess her up and not be able to fully mature but I don't want her getting sad having all those hormones then having them taken away?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
everyone, male or female, gets fixed before 6 months of age, and usually much before 6 months. I see no reason to wait until after the first heat.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
How do I know what to decide for what is best for my golden? I don't want to mess her up and not be able to fully mature but I don't want her getting sad having all those hormones then having them taken away?
Unfortunately as in many things in dogs, and life for that matter, you don't know for sure what is the best. You have to take the information you have, digest it, compare it to what is most important to you and then make the decision YOU feel is best for you and your dog. If you do that I don't think you can ever have any regrets as you can only do what you think is best. I don't ever worry about others might think and say when I take that approach.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cali got spayed a week ago, she was 9 months..she just finished her first "period" we planned on getting it done before that but totally slipped our minds, shes already been through a tuff surgery and we were dealin with her OCD and then all of a sudden she went in heat, i had no idea it happened so soon! But they say to get it done around 6 months to reduce the chances of cancer:)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts