Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did everyone get their male puppies neutered? We've heard various things. The vet said 6 months, which is when our male cat was neutered and the dogs I had growing up. 馃槄 He's 6 months now, but with COVID, our vet is only doing emergency/urgent appointments so it's been put off.

Super Moderator
I agree with Prism for the same reasons. they need their hormones to fully grow & mature.

Super Moderator
Agreed. Our breeder is typically against neutering anyway at all unless necessary. This in particular is breed where pediatric neuter was associated with joint and growth issues.

Registered
I was also waiting for my 18month ( which is TODAY!) for my golden but then COVID happen so we are going to wait until COVID is over and summer is over because he like to jump into the pool.

Registered
Denver isn't neutered, though we likely will neuter once he turns 2 because we are planning on adding a female pup and would keep her intact for showing, and Denver will never be bred so it makes sense to neuter. He's been able to be boarded the two times we've gone away without issue. Most dog parks don't allow intact dogs of either sex.

Premium Member
Six months is way too early. Neutering used to be a knee-jerk reaction for pet owners, but no more. Many people choose not to neuter at all. I do agility with my dog, and like many other competing sport dogs, he's not neutered (he's 4 years old) and won't be unless there's a compelling medical reason to do so. A lot of breeders these days ask puppy buyers to wait until the dog is 18 months or 2 years of age. Research has shown that it is much better for the dog to finish growing with all its hormones intact. Animals neutered early, before the growth plates have closed (at around 14 months of age for goldens), tend to be leggy and are much more likely to suffer from joint injuries later in life, for example.

Reactions: gdgli

Premium Member
Some resources for you...

Reactions: Treberr and JulesAK
1 - 13 of 13 Posts