Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden just turned a year old and has started humping other dogs, the cat and my husband a lot. He also just starting lifting his leg outside and I'm worried its just a matter of time before he tries to lift inside. Our plan was to neuter him between 1 1/2 and 2 years old when his growth plates have closed up and he's filled out more. A lot of the vets I've talked to say for a large breed dog it is best to wait until this time period because when it is done earlier it delays the closure of the growth plates and can make them leggy and more at risk of things like hip dysplasia since they growth unproportionately. So I don't know if I should try to wait and just deal with the humping....we make him stop right away. Also, he is a small golden at only 52 pounds so maybe it wouldn't make as much difference as to when I neuter him at this point. What are your opinions? Anyone neuter early and still end up with a proportionate golden?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Our breeder asked us to shoot for between 10 months and one year. After 10 months Nugget had reached his full height and was starting to hump everything in sight. We waited just a bit longer (just under one year old) and did the deed. It seemed to have worked out well.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Having just added a male to our family, I am not looking forward to the humping and waiting for that year to get Remy neutered

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
I rarely neuter a dog, and then only if there is a medical reason and they are usually at least 7 years old.

I have never had issues with humping or marking inside either. I also know people who have neutered their dogs and have had issues with both humping and marking so I personally do not believe neutering will either prevent or stop these issues.

·
Kate
20,616 Posts
Same as Tahnee and Sharon...

Honestly, the mounting and marking are training issues.

@mounting - My concern is that if your dog is a year old and doesn't know enough not to mount people or is allowed so much freedom as to mount other dogs, then this is going to be a very difficult issue to correct. <- It's easier when they are puppies to stop these nuisance behaviors.

@marking - if a dog pees inside a house, that's a housetraining issue.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
You need to decide what his best for your situation. I had one that humped and one that didn't. The one that didn't we had it nipped in the bud early so to speak:D

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My six all hump when they are excited.. Girl to boy, girl to girl, boy to girl, but never boy to boy. My boys and two of my girls are neutered, two of my girls are not. My boys have never marked. In fact, one of the boys goes out less than anyone else.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Humping has nothing to do with being intact, it isn't a sexual behavior. None of my dogs have ever tried it past puppyhood. Hank was neutered at 1 year, the only thing he ever tried to hump was a big stuffed devil he got when he was around 4 mos. and his stuffed bed. Both objects were taken away which ended the behavior. The male Mini schnauzer we had years ago was never neutered, he never humped either. It's bad manners, IMO, and all puppies, males & females, need to be taught it's unacceptable behavior.

With the marking, this where I somewhat disagree...there is a difference between marking and urinating. Intact males like to 'mark' everything/anything vertical with some urine. Urinating is emptying the bladder. Hank started marking before his first birthday. He marked in the house once, it wasn't an "accident" meaning he had to pee really bad and emptied his bladder. After he was neutered he stopped marking outdoors as well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We neutered our pup a little early (I believe he was 8 months). I know, I know. Too early. He was a WILD, mouthy, humpy, testy pup, and we had young kids at home, so per the advice of a couple trainers, we took the risk and did it early. He is now 16 months old, and he looks perfectly normal. He's a very average sized golden at 65 pounds. He is growing into a very well behaved dog at this point, with a couple issues that we work on all the time. HOWEVER - in hindsight, I don't think the neutering did a thing to alter the behavour. I like to believe it was all the time we invested in (and still do ) to training our little bugger! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Out of all the goldens I've ever had, the one that "humped" the most was a spayed female rescue...and we have an intact male who never inappropriately humped or marked inside...except when our female was in heat. But I attribute that to temporary insanity caused by those female pheromones. I agree with most of the what everyone has said. It's more of a training/dominance issue than anything.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
In regards to it being a training issue. Not sure why anyone would complain about it and allow it. Our intact male tried to humped every pillow and anything he could pull close to him, even though we didn't allow it. After he was neutered at age 2 he tried it half as much and eventually it stopped. I think it all comes down to the individual dog.

·
Justin
127 Posts
My 10 week old Barley is already humping legs (for just a couple seconds before being corrected) and tries humping his bedding sometimes...we're quite interested when he should be snipped as well.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My dog has been humpimg his favorite pillows since the day we brought him home at nine weeks. It took on a frantic quality last summer as he approached a year old. We neutered him a month ago and he has not humped a single thing since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts