Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently i had to euthanize My Male Golden of 8 years for Cancer and was wanting to get expert opinions of when is a good time for a new pup? Myself, I'm ready now but my wife keeps saying we need to wait.
We have his sister still but a male Golden is needed personally for my sake.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,273 Posts
I don't think there's a right or wrong time, it's a personal choice as to when you're ready.
One of my neighbors got a Golden pup in Dec., husband was ready, wife was not. The wife is really enjoying their new girl, I've seen them out walking her several times over the last week. She's adorable.

If you're wanting to get a pup from a Breeder, you may want to start your search as soon as you're both ready, most Breeders have a wait list so could be a while before a litter is available or you may find a Breeder that has a pup available because someone had a change in plans.

It's totally up to you........

·
Registered
744 Posts
Recently i had to euthanize My Male Golden of 8 years for Cancer and was wanting to get expert opinions of when is a good time for a new pup? Myself, I'm ready now but my wife keeps saying we need to wait.
Sorry for your loss!
I would use extreme caution right now getting a new puppy. The situation in many states is that which COULD affect your ability to get him/her to the vet should there be a need. (not to mention your own medical safety).

My Vet in Northern Nevada is still open for emergencies etc., but nothing elective for the foreseeable future, which includes vaccines and worming..except for rabies. In order to have a pet examined/treated, the owner must remain in the car and an orderly will bring the pet in for the appointment.

Today we have been ordered to shelter in place except for food, medical, etc. People are in a total panic, even though they had weeks to prepare. The shelter in place had been suggested by the governor, but many did not comply.....thus the mandate today. Cities in Nevada have begun suspending business licenses of non-essential business that didn't see the need to comply. (Las Vegas in the lead)

I have a yr old Golden Puppy that will be due for her Parvo shot this summer, and have already decided to give it to her myself if things do not improve drastically during the next few months. Rabies will be another problem that will have to be addressed, but for now, the Parvo shot has my attention. I have no desire to possibly expose myself, unless absolutely necessary.
Luckily my others were in for their respective wellness checks in December and January and all was good. I moved the appts up after studying the situation, and am very glad that I did.

STAY SAFE and BEST wishes, when you decide to get your new puppy!

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
Here are the states requirements as to rabies vaccines: https://www.avma.org/sites/default/files/2020-03/Rabies-Chart.pdf There are a couple of states that do not require a vet (and it is not safe if one does not have a titer due to vaccines anyway so that would be foolish even if one did live in a state that allows farmers to give them)

·
Registered
724 Posts
You’re likely not going to find a puppy right away so this could be all over by the time you finally find one- at least if you’re looking for a reputable breeder with all core clearances.

As to veterinarians, all depends on your state. Elective and wellness aren’t a priority for vets in PA UNLESS it’s a puppy/kitten who needs vaccine.

·
Super Moderator
2,478 Posts
If you are ready for a pup, get one.

One of the most important feelings in this time of crisis and uncertainty is hope. Part of being hopeful is to not catastrophize our lives, but rather to take reasonable precautions. It is beginning to emerge that the psychological impact of quarantining will exact a significant toll if people do not work at normalizing their lives, again while exercising prudent safety. I would just make sure that you have made arrangements with a vet for your new pup to be seen should it be necessary.

·
Super Moderator
876 Posts
you won't be able to get a puppy from a reputable breeder so soon, so it might be worth your time putting yourself on a couple of waitlists for a puppy. Due to the current situation breeders be pushing back planned breedings or putting things on hold as well so you will most likely be in for a wait. maybe tell your wife you are keen to get on some wait lists and that it will be some time before a puppy arrives?

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Totally agree with the above from Ffcmm. This might be the perfect time to do the research, speak to breeders, find the perfect one for you and your family, and get on their wait list. I know several breeders who are not doing planned spring breedings, looking to fall instead.

As to the actual WHEN is the right time - only you can know that. It's a gut thing, or a heart thing. When my last dog died, I thought I would never, ever have another Golden. I even told my sister that if I started to talk about it, to remind me of the pain I went through at the end of my girl's life. Well, just 6 weeks after she died, I knew I would miss her forever, but I knew I also just missed having a dog, and I needed a dog in my life. Starting the process toward getting a new puppy, talking to my breeder, thinking about having a new puppy, all helped me to heal. But it is truly a different process for every individual.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm so sorry about the loss of your Golden. It's so very heartbreaking.

I lost my Golden in late of August of last year. My husband always said Luke was my soulmate. He was such a good boy. I cried every day for six weeks. I still think of him every day. I thought it would be years before I would want another Golden. It didn't take long before I really started noticing a void. Goldens are so calming to me in general. I love their sweet spirits. So, I got in touch with a breeder and was put on her list. Logan was born on November 29th and my husband and I drove to Ocala, Florida and picked him up eight weeks later.

He's 18 weeks old now and I can't describe how much I love him. He's different from Luke is many ways -- there are some similarities that make me smile -- but he is his own personality and I love his personality. He so smart and has a lot of spirit. I'm so glad I went ahead and got another. Logan makes me smile every day.

You should look for an excellent breeder and get on a waiting list. Hopefully, things going on in the world will start getting better by the time your new puppy is ready to come home.

As for the vet -- my vet is available and gave all the shots to my puppy. The last two times I've been to the vet for him, and once for my Cavalier King Charles, they simply come out to the car in masks and gloves, get the dogs from the back of my car, see them, bring them back, and I pay via telephone. I would think puppy shots would be considered essential services for most.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts