Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Looking for advice. My 8 month old Henry is starting to cause problems at daycare. He has been trying to hump pretty much all day and will not necessarily stop. To the point that he actually bugs the other dogs and might get bitten!

We were thinking of getting him fixed at around 1 year old when he is done growing but it seems like we might have to do it earlier... I read that it is better to wait until they are fully grown before fixing them to avoid health issues and certain types of cancer.

I don't know if that is relevant or not but Henry is very lean and about 60lbs last time we checked (about a month ago)

I would love your opinion on this! Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks,
Deborah

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
My breeder has changed her contract where she wants her puppies to wait until two years old.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
The question of when, or if to neuter, is a well discussed topic on the forum. From what I have read, a dog should not be neutered until at least after he has reached maturity.

I can tell you about our experience with Max. At about 7 to 8 months of age, similar to your pup, Max began to have problems at dog park. Mostly other dogs were picking on him. Also, he was doing a lot of humping at home. Max is a big boy, and matured very young. We had thought about leaving him intact. However, because of the behavior issues, we went ahead and had him neutered at 8 months of age. He was 99 pounds the day of the surgery. He was a little under the weather for a day or two post surgery, and was back at dog park 2 weeks later.

Max is now 4 years old. He is in all respects a completely normal adult male Golden Retriever. He marks, lifts his leg at times, and when around other dogs, gets along great.

Do your research, talk to your vet, and do what you think will be best for your dog.

·
Ripley and Ned
477 Posts
I would say anytime between 6-9 months old is appropriate. Ripley wasn't spayed until 14 months, but it was due to another medical issue that was resolved due to us holding off spaying her. Best to talk to your vet though :)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
I have never had any of my cats or dogs spay or neutered until after the age of 2, if not later for most.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Our last Golden was neutered at 6 months. We were pressured by the vet to have it done as soon as possible. He said it was for the benefit of the dog. Having never done it before we said okay. For me, it was one of the most regrettable thing I have ever done. Buddy had issues with leg and joint problems, mainly due to the fact we did it before he had matured. We lost him before he turned six to cancer. I realize that others have not had an issue with this. This is just my own experience. I wish you well with your decision.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Rowdy is 19 months old and still intact. He has never once even attempted to hump another dog. The only thing he does differently now than he used to is that he rarely plays with other dogs at the dog park. He's still interested and socializes-- he just doesn't play much. He's all about swimming , fetching and frisbee.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,215 Posts
There are several threads here on the forum discussing this, if you do a Search, threads will come up you can read through.

My Bridge boy lived to be 15.5, he was neutered at 6 months per my Vet's recommendation.

My current Goldens, I have a boy and a girl. I adopted when they were two, both of them were altered after they were two. I never had any problems with my previous boy or my current boy humping or marking in the house.

·
In memory of our boy TJ..
105 Posts
As others have stated, there is a wide spectrum of opinion on this issue. For what it is worth, as far as males go, we wait until 24 months. The behavioral issues you are currently dealing with, with some patience and training, can be helped. Researching past threads will give you a good overview of the pros and cons of early versus later neutering... Best of luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anyone else have a dog that is so lazy that when he tries to hump a toy he will lie down on his side and do it that way? He has even done it on his back.

Crazy boy, needless to say those toys have been removed until he is a little older so he does not form any long lasting habits.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Sorry Ripley16: That neutering between ages 6-9 months is so outdated, I would not even post it. I am a LVT by trade and yes, in the vet tech program and vets push for the 6 months neutering and spaying - mostly because of dead beat owners and overpopulation.

Original OP, if possible, wait till at least 12 months before having him neutered. Humping is really not a sexual thing, nor is it a dominance thing - neutering would not curb that. I have seen neutered dogs hump all their lives.

Day care may start pressuring you to neuter - most day care don't want intact dogs present. Good luck, and yes, at the end it is solely your decision after all.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,599 Posts
Hi guys,

Looking for advice. My 8 month old Henry is starting to cause problems at daycare. He has been trying to hump pretty much all day and will not necessarily stop. To the point that he actually bugs the other dogs and might get bitten!

We were thinking of getting him fixed at around 1 year old when he is done growing but it seems like we might have to do it earlier... I read that it is better to wait until they are fully grown before fixing them to avoid health issues and certain types of cancer.

I don't know if that is relevant or not but Henry is very lean and about 60lbs last time we checked (about a month ago)

I would love your opinion on this! Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks,
Deborah

Neutering isn't going to fix the behavior problem in daycare. This is a TRAINING issue. He needs to be taught what behaviors are allowed and what are not. That hasn't happened yet and the behavior will continue until he's trained in proper social manners.

·
Not a black Golden
192 Posts
As others have said, there really isn't a strong connection between humping during play and hormone levels. My spayed 3-year-old female rescue has been known to hump my intact 2-year-old male when they're tearing around the yard together, and I've met plenty of early-neutered males whose enthusiasm for the behavior is unabated.

Having dealt with cruciate ligament tears in two different dogs fixed at 6-8 months, I am personally convinced by data on the orthopedic risks of early spay and neuter. Am unlikely to ever again consider fixing one of my own dogs, male or female, before 18-24 months. It's a decision you will certainly have to make for yourself, but you should seek out and carefully consider a range of viewpoints, including veterinary literature on the pros and cons of early spay and neuter, before you make up your mind.

·
Registered
111 Posts
flatcoated,

Why the timeframe of 18-24 months for a female spay?
Anything special about waiting that long?
Been 13 months here so far trying to decide if should wait longer.
Thx.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
If it's an option, I would quit the daycare and keep him intact.

·
Not a black Golden
192 Posts
msc,
It can take 18 months for a large dog's growth plates to close, so waiting at least this long is desirable if trying to minimize the future risk of orthopedic injuries is a priority.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts