Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber weighed 43 lbs. at 5 mos. and a week on her last vet visit. Previous to that she was 4 mos. and 34 lbs. The vet had us bump her up to 4 cups a day as he felt she was borderline underweight. She is definitely eating all of her food ravenously. She is putting on weight and looks to be a good weight now. Ribs are covered and are easily felt.
When do you start to cut them back? She is eating Natural Balance Potato and Duck at the 4 cups a day. Now she is a good weight, should I cut back a half cup or so? She will be 6 mos. on Jan. 1. Thanks :wavey:.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumping up......Amber is 47 lbs. and eats 4 cups of NB Potato and Duck Large Bites......vet said that I will need to bump that up until 8 - 9 mos. of age.....Wow.....really?

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
My Vet had us up our pups food between 5-7 or 8 mo when most growth happens to 4-5 cu a day, but honestly both kids just wouldn't eat that much. Kye at 7 1/2 mo is eatting about 3 1/2 cu a day (but leaves some at night on occ) and Coop will only finish 1 1/2 cu morning & night. If we give more, he just walks away. Kye is about 55 lbs and little Coop was 41.6 lbs last Sat (4 1/2 mo). I am slowly bringing Kye back to the 3 cu a day.

Really changed in their eatting in the last month, both eat less and don't seem to scarf their food as they did when younger. I think it is because classes are over and when the weather is bad we don't do as much outside play and running as when weather was good. Vet said both were not too thin (they have heavier coats and were looking a bit heavy to me) but ribs are easily felt and at bathtime you can see ribs easily. So think the food amounts are ok for now.

Sorry didn't mean for this to get so long! I have both on TOTW Sierra Mt (Lamb) and doing very well.

I would listen to your Vet, but go by your eyes and hands. Think many people think Goldens should be a bit overweight since that is what they see the most. Thankfully things are changing and keeping our dogs a bit on the lean side is seen as a good thing! If she looks good, and your hands tell you she is lean, but not skinny, then you are doing right in my book.

Reactions: Amberbark

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Koda is at about 5 cups a day at 7 1/2 months. I dont plan to cut her back anytime soon, she is still growing and is still a healthy weight. She scarfs it all down and never leaves a morsel so I know it isn't too much for her.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow, I thought Roxie was a big eater, but she has slowed down and at 7 months now, she is around 50 pounds and eats around 3-4 cups. She usually does not eat all of her 4 cups, but I do feed her a good number of treats/kibble a day getting her used to her crate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts