Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

When to breed?

5K views 82 replies 17 participants last post by  RickGibbs 
#1 ·
4 year old golden. When is the best time in her cycle (spotting detected) to have her mated with the male we picked out? We are not very happy about doing this, but we want to keep her line going. We have all puppies spoken for because of how wonderful she and her mother is. Thaks in advance!

#2 ·
At the risk of maybe upsetting you, I am wondering why you want to keep her line going. Is it a strong field or show line with proven dogs in the pedigree? Does your girl have good health behind her (ie generations of dogs cleared for hips, eyes and heart). Is your girl cleared and is the sire cleared? The best way to get a good breeding is by doing progesterone testing as each female is different.

If you are not "happy" about doing it then why do it? Curious?????

#6 ·
the testing deal works..and when she is ready, she will tell mr right its time..
and guys... good temprament, healthy pets are as good a reason to breed as any.. just a few of us (look at the members on the forum) are into showing or hunting/trialing our dogs..
I would back the others that are telling you to be sure and get the health clearances... have both parties checked for hips, elbows, heart, eyes, and thyroid..
good luck..

#7 ·
and guys... good temprament, healthy pets are as good a reason to breed as any.. ..
Sorry to disagree but that is not "as good a reason as any" to breed.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting at all.

You guys have fun and keep vrocco1 on his toes. For me, I am a bit too busy to try and help by offering advice to people who obviously do not want it.

Take care,
Sue Rocco
Delmarva Goldens
Member:
GRCA, SRC, CGRC, PVGRC

#10 ·
Ditto to what everyone else has said about heath stuff -- hips, elbows, thyroid, heart, etc. Also, make sure you have someone to mentor you throughout this process. If you're not sure when the best time is to mate, there are probably other issues that will come up that you won't be sure how best to handle, either.

If you aren't experienced in breeding, you really need a mentor to walk you through it. As for keeping the lines going... the breeder who bred your dog can do that on his/her own, thus letting you off the hook if you aren't fully into the idea of breeding a dog. It's TON of work and the breeders that I know of rarely every make any money off a litter b/c of what they spent on health stuff for the parents, plus the time and money associated with raising and properly socializing a litter of pups.

It's great that you have homes lined up for the pups. Just make sure you are 100% committed to all that goes into breeding and raising puppies -- including the potential risks of something happening where you lose one or all of the pups, or even the dam herself. Things like that happen way more than we like to think.

As for me, as much as I love my dog and as committed as I am in the dog world (showing in obedience, agility, hunt tests, working trials, dock jumping, therapy dog work, etc.) you couldn't PAY me enough to get involved in breeding! Too much pressure to be responsible for all those little lives!

So, in short, (yeah, right!)... I'm not saying you absolutely shouldn't breed... just saying that if you do, make sure you've got a super-experienced person to walk you through it.

-Stephanie

#11 ·
People do want advice. They just may not agree with yours. Or not all of US might agree with yours. That doesn't mean they don't want it, or that any one of us is wrong or right. We don't all have to do things your way in order to care about the breed.

I personally think showing is not even "as good a reason as any", including when my own dog kicked ass at shows. It's certainly not "improving" any breed. Have you WATCHED most breeds recently in the ring? It's enough to make we want to boycott AKC shows (although their recent affiliation with the Hunte Corp is added ammo, if you want to tak about BAD BREEDING). IMO showing is probably one of the worst reasons to breed dogs, especially in a working breed. It sure isn't a purpose, unless inflating the owner's ego and the publisher of ShowSite magazine's wallet counts as a purpose. I know I have mentioned them before, but it's worth repeating. Three words. German Shepherd Dog. What a deplorable state that breed is in, thanks to "improving the breed" for the show ring. LOL Goldens are headed down the same road. In my own breed (Whippets) type is disappearing (along with speed) in favor of flat backed "windsock" bodied little AKC Greyhound looking things with TRAD a GSD would envy (a hideous fault in Whippets, but I guess it wins, so lets breed it!)

At the end of the day, pick a team, and do what makes you happy, b/c field people, show people, obedience people, whatever people, and regular pet people all think *they* are right.

Come, ask questions. I'll answer them without questioning your morals, and so will a few others :)

#12 ·
what she said.. yep.. you go for health and temprament and you are improving the breed..
of course I would like to see hunting instincts and abilities in there... along with athletic ability.. but that is a personal preference..and what they were invented for..

sincerely, Mr Congeniality

#13 ·
What about people like me who just wanted a pet. I don't really care if he's show quality or if his parents are champions or super smart hunting dogs. Yes, I want a healthy puppy, everything else I don't care about really.

It's like having a baby, as long as he's got all his limbs and doesn't have a disease, who cares :)

#15 ·
Yeah, of course, I dont want a dog thats gonna rip my head off lol but seriously, none of that breeder mumbo jumbo champion stud crap means anything to me.

Some people just want a pet! like moi! :D But I'm not saying just anyone should breed their dogs, they should know what they're doin' first.

#16 ·
Yes, you want a pet, but preferably one that looks like a Golden Retriever and acts like one- or you could go to the shelter and adopt a charming pet.

So there DOES need to be a balance, there, of traits.

However, that "breeder mumbo jumbo ch stud crap" doesn't mean much to me either ;)

#17 ·
Well I know nothing about show dogs, so maybe thats why I don't care.

I dont want a snooty breeder whos like "Well, this strapping young dog was sired by CH Golden Angel Henry the XIIth who won 6 titles!"

Like really...they're dogs...they drink out of the toilet....lol.

But yeah, I do want a dog that LOOKS like a Golden, and act likes one, but everything is useless to me.

#18 ·
my point exactly.. most everyone on this forum want a dog that has that golden temprament and good health...
and how many ugly goldens have you seen?.. Dixie is so far from the breed standard that they wouldnt be sure which breed show to put her in...
but she has a great temprament and can retrieve hell out of ducks..
and I am hoping we did everything right to get the long term good health..

#21 ·
no, jen..that was what I was saying.. all goldens are nice looking dogs.. its that "breed standard" deal that I am talking about.. 45 lb does not fit into the standard, I dont believe..anyhow she doesnt look like those dogs i see at the shows on tv.. and it really doesnt bother me a bit..
hey..that pic is my desktop also.. and thank you

#23 ·
i love breeders that are breeding for health and temperment and making them affordable. I am not going to show my dog so I don't want to pay extra to get one that comes from champion show lines. Hunting not my idea of fun so my dog doesn't need to come from great field lines. So long as she can fetch a ball I'm happy. So again I don't want to pay extra for that. What i am willing to pay extra for is health and temperment. No matter what line your dog is from having them healthy and not wanting to take your hand off are the most important things.

#27 ·
Here here!!!! You go for it girl.... I agree. When I first joined the forum my question was about breeding and pregnacy for my Sam.... The subject always seems to stir up mixed feelings. The majority of golden ownwers do not buy them for show, but their temperament with children and a good all round family pet and friend! I know dozens of golden owners and none of them are field or show dogs! Sam came from champion grandparents and parents but we have no intention of showing her etc etc.... If the male and female are health checked etc etc... and purebred... I don't see a problem. They willl make lovely pets for a caring owner. There are some snooty people on this forum that seem to think that we know nothing ,and would do detriment to the breed by breeding. Maybe we should catch up with the puppies at a later date and see how well they are doing???? Just to prove some of us right? Everyone has the right to ask a question... don't put them down... just answer the question!

#35 ·
Just ignore some of the friendly banter going on there... There's always minor disputes going on when you start talking about breeding for show or field.... I think most of it's in fun, but who knows....?

I think most of the questions come from your original statement of "We are not very happy about doing this..." So you just got our curiousity going...

I'd love to see your videos. Feel free to post any you have over in the video section.

Your brother has 40 years of breeding experience? Man.....that's someone we need here on our forum... That kind of experience would be great.

Hollywood videos of the grandparents? What was it they did?

#37 ·
Just ignore some of the friendly banter going on there... There's always minor disputes going on when you start talking about breeding for show or field.... I think most of it's in fun, but who knows....?
I think most of the questions come from your original statement of "We are not very happy about doing this..." So you just got our curiousity going...
I'd love to see your videos. Feel free to post any you have over in the video section.
Your brother has 40 years of breeding experience? Man.....that's someone we need here on our forum... That kind of experience would be great.
Hollywood videos of the grandparents? What was it they did?
this is why Rick is the moderator instead of me.. we havn't had an out and out forum brawl in a while.. we need one..

#36 ·
wow, look what I missed last night. Greg, I admire your advise especially with your breed experience. It's a shame others get their feelings hurt if you do not agree with them. First of all, you need to have THICK SKIN to own a dog. I'm NOT saying I don't agree but you made some good points Greg. Thank you. That is what we need on our forum. Not all of us are here for show or field trials. Some of us want only a pet. Yes, health is important. I agree. I hope the original poster looks past some of the criticism in this post and reads all the other advise. Good Luck and I hope all goes well :wavey:

#39 · (Edited)
Nope not fighting. Just supporting you!! I think your advise was perfect. Thanks for being you and telling it like it is!!!;)

I didnt get on at all last night and see what i missed . geezzzz Anyhow, do you think i'll be blamed for this fight too !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.