Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is a cat person and I have always loved dogs. After a lot of thought, she has warmed to the idea of getting our first puppy. We've been to see the puppy a couple of times, and we bring her home on Valentine's day. We've also talked a lot about getting a kitten, and I am finally warming to the idea. Here's the question - when is the best time to blend our household? Ideally, we'd love it if the cat and dog would become friends. Our best guess is that it would be best to get the kitten when the golden puppy is still fairly young.

Any thoughts? We've seen a few 6 month old kitten ads lately, but it seems like it would be a lot of work to get both the puppy and kitten(s) at the same time. :uhoh:

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
We have two dogs and two cats...never had a kitten at the same time as a puppy but I think a few weeks apart would be fine. Get to know your puppy then bring home a kitten. Kitten are much easier no training really (just litter box) so the biggest problem will be not to let the puppy play to wild with the kitten, don't want squished kitty. But watch those kitten claws....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 6 month old kitten and am bringing home the puppy tomorrow :). Keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out cuz they are both pretty young. Let you know how it goes!!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I think you're going to be fine as long as the cat is a kitten :) I think introducing older cats to dogs can be a problem but kittens have a much easier time of it. Personally, I would go with a very young kitten, like 8 weeks, brand new :)

Sounds like fun. I hope you'll be sharing pictures soon!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'm jealous of how much fun your house is going to be come February! A kitten and a puppy?! :) Can I come over?

I think it's a great idea to get the kitten sometime in March. Maybe after you've had a chance to work on "give" and "leave it." They could come in handy, especially if kitty decides to run around and make puppy crazy! I also think a younger kitten would be best. Probably nothing over three months.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
If it were me I would bring the kitten home first. It's my experience cats take longer than dogs to acclimate to a new environment. A kitten should acclimate quicker than an older cat. We have five cats. We have a wide range of reactions and interactions between the cats and Riley. Riley became best friends with one of them. They chase each other in the backyard. One cat kind of likes her until he's had enough. The rest of the cats can take or leave her. There is one that always runs from her so of course she chases him all of the time. Good luck with both!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I brought a very young kitten home, just 8 weeks, she's was so tiny, so sweet. I was very worried about Daisy at first, if she would be too rough or <<gulp>> worse ... but none of my fears were realized. I think the kitten thought Daisy was her mother, she took to Daisy immediately. Here's a picture...

Attachments

·
Golden Retriever Fanatic!
135 Posts
I can't comment since I will never own a cat while I'm living at home. My mom and my dog Areal absolutely loathe them. I love cats very much though and I'm looking forward to moving out and owning my kitten.

Jo Ellen - That is an adorable picture!!! Daisy looks motherly and the kitten looks like a little terror!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the suggestions on the puppy/kitten introduction! I loved the photo of the kitten sleeping on the golden. So cute. We'll definitely post some photos. I think we are going to pick up our 8 week old puppy in February, and look for a kitten in March or April. That will give us some time to get to know the puppy and then we can get a very young kitten. I think kitten season begins in the spring anyway, so that timing will be perfect. Thanks again for the suggestions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts