Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The breeder that we are getting our puppy from says that we can pick him up either the weekend before or the weekend after he's 8 weeks old.

Is 7.5 weeks too early to bring him home? Would we be better off waiting until he's 8.5 weeks instead (I know most of his brothers are leaving at 7.5)

Any advice appreciated.....

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Most people say 8 weeks, but a lot of people think as young as 7 weeks is okay. I think it depends on the dog. I took my puppy home at 7 weeks, and I really, really wish I had waited until 8. She was terribly nervous the first 2 weeks at home. The first week all she would do is burrow into pillows and hide! She's also very timid around dogs, and I often wonder if an extra week with her littermates wouldn't have helped.

Anyhow, 7.5 weeks probably isn't going to make or break your dog, and neither is 8.5 weeks. I would take your puppy home when the time is best for you.

Congrats! :)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
We brought Timber home at 8 1/2 weeks and he didn't seem to suffer from any separation anxiety.
If you have the chance to go see them first, I would heartily recommend it!!!
Although our breeder chose Timber for us (and a good choice he was!), we did get to see the puppies at 4 weeks. It gave us a chance to see them all, see how they interacted and got to spend some time with the Mom.
When we left the breeders, we all agreed that it didn't matter which boy we brought home, they were all beautiful little pups.

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
I am not sure which is better, I know we brought Sierra home at 7 weeks and she did fine.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank was 5 1/2 weeks. We had no problems with separation anxiety or anything else really. He settled in fine, no problems with excess nipping, house breaking, eating.
He cried a little the first night but he's in our bedroom so I just talked to him.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Crating?

Sully (at eight weeks) slept next to the bed the first night; after that, she slept in bed. (I can't take a puppy's cry.) She has slept with me ever since. Scotty (at 5.5 weeks), however, would only sleep in his crate until he outgrew his puppy crate. Now he sleeps on the bedroom floor (not a bed dog--his choice). Whether you bring your puppy home at 7.5 or 8 weeks, try crating so you get some sleep.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
If the rest of the litter is leaving at 7.5 weeks, then you may as well get him then. It's only a few days less than 8 weeks and the whole idea of the breeder keeping them until 8 weeks is for the socialization they get from their littermates. Since they will be gone, no need for you to leave your puppy there unless it is better timing for you to wait.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hee Hee I would sure have a hard time waiting another week if our breeder said we could have him.

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
I brought Winchester home at 7 weeks and he did fabulous. I did send a plush toy to the breeder a couple weeks before I was to take him home so he'd have something with his mother's and littermates' scent on it. We didn't have any whining or crying at night and I think that has a lot to do with why.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts