Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,479 Posts
Realize that this may be a simplistic.question, but when should the breeder give us the AKC paperwork, and what will be included?

We've already been given what I believe to be the AKC #s for the parents, which we used to verify OFA certifications. But, should we get anything else? And, "when"?
Depends on the breeder :) Some give litter pedigrees, registration paperwork if they aren't doing it themselves, and maybe a bunch of AKC puppy packet stuff. It really depends. Once the pup is registered, you'll receive a registration certificate in the mail maybe a month or so later. You can buy a pedigree through the AKC website once the puppy is registered.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Some breeders send in the reg applications for the buyer. That's ok, but do expect to be asked to fill it out day of pickup. If you are not, I dk how they could send in w your signature. Even the online EZ reg that I use- AKC told me to get the buyers to fill out the paperwork, and to keep that paperwork for 12 months after I do the online EZ reg.
Verify that AKC # by going to OFA and checking to see the names fit and the clearances are there.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,173 Posts
The day you pick them up you should be given the registration paper. The breeder can fill it out for you but I would want to take it with me so I can be sure it was mailed in.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Verify that AKC # by going to OFA and checking to see the names fit and the clearances are there.
We've already been able to do this, so that is "one check in the 'plus' column".

From the rest of the comments, and what I've been able to find online, I guess this is "the last step in the process". I've been a bit overly-cautious about the fact that, in the two weeks since we paid the deposit, we hadn't received anything "more formal".

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
The day you pick them up you should be given the registration paper. The breeder can fill it out for you but I would want to take it with me so I can be sure it was mailed in.
I think this is dependent on who it is. Because I care about keeping my BOM status, I do not let people take their forms. They can take a photo of them, and I give the the UPC code page that is individual for the puppy but for me this would be a deal breaker. Not only might the buyer not send them in, but they might change the name, they might hold the form to the light and do it online w the code that would give them full registration, and so many other reasons. I haven't sent home a registration application in probably 15 years. Before EZ Reg was available, I mailed them all in together.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,173 Posts
I agree but I feel more comfortable with mailing it myself. With my breeder she registered teh litter as limited so when I went online there wasn't any other option but for limited registration. There was no code to be had from holding it to the light on my AKC reg papers. So not sure what that is all about. Only option was a check box for limieted or full. I still have my reg form my breeder gave to me and can't see or find anything of the sort to be able to make my reg full over limited.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
She probably blocked it out. I'll PM what it used to look like to you. It used to be on the left, 3/4 way down and said registration type above that code. Last set I did were different and it was at the top right under the UPC code.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would want my papers when I picked up my puppy. I go home and register right away unless I haven’t quite figured out their name yet. Of course, I use the kennel name. Not sure what other name could actually be changed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts