Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was hoping to get some advice on when to switch from puppy to adult food. My puppy is 7 months old today and eating PPP Puppy sensitive skin salmon and rice. He is 42lbs and getting 2 cups a day. I just purchased a new bag of food and wondering if I should transition him over to PPP Adult Sensitive Skin towards the end of this bag (he would be close to 8 months then). As always, thank you for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
I just finished switching my 13 month old over to adult PPP but took 2 months to do it.
From about 9 months old we had a problem with loose stools and inconsistent poop schedule. It appeared the puppy food was becoming too rich for her . Her poops firmed up well after we hit a 50/50 mix and are now nice and firm.
Molly has a very sensitive tummy so we take our time with things but your pup is not too young to switch. Many breeders here switch in the 5-6 month range

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,594 Posts
I'm a breeder. I switch all my puppies to adult food at 16 weeks, and I recommend doing it no later than 20 weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a breeder. I switch all my puppies to adult food at 16 weeks, and I recommend doing it no later than 20 weeks.
Thank you! I will start to gradually switch him over now. I just started having trouble with the consistency of his poop and I think it might be the richness of the puppy food as Dunmar noted. Another question, would I follow the feeding amount on the bag or should I made any modifications due to his age?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just finished switching my 13 month old over to adult PPP but took 2 months to do it.
From about 9 months old we had a problem with loose stools and inconsistent poop schedule. It appeared the puppy food was becoming too rich for her . Her poops firmed up well after we hit a 50/50 mix and are now nice and firm.
Molly has a very sensitive tummy so we take our time with things but your pup is not too young to switch. Many breeders here switch in the 5-6 month range
May I ask which PPP you are feeding her? Is it for sensitive skin & stomach and if so are you feeding the large breed variety? Thanks is advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,348 Posts
It has been a while but I believe that I told my puppy people to get one bag of food, finish it and go to adult food.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Pearl has been on Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 since she started eating solid food - it started out as mush then we gradually decreased the amount of water until it was no longer mush .
She was never on puppy food. She'll be one year old next month.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,594 Posts
What food do you use when you switch over at 16 weeks?
I start them on ProPlan large breed puppy, and when I switch them over I put them on ProPlan Savor chicken or beef. I alternate, and occasionally also give them Royal Canin Golden Retriever, except that the RC is so expensive and I have so many dogs that I don't keep them on it. But if price was not a consideration, I'd put them all on RC-GR right away and leave them on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts