Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Apache Pilot
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Golden just turned 8 months old and is 68 pounds. So when is my Golden no longer considered a puppy?

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
My guy is around 18 months and i'm just starting to consider him NOT a puppy. I've seen a big growth in maturity in the past 9 months and although he still has his puppy antics at times, he's more of an adult now. You'll probably notice the same difference in the next 9 months.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I find for the first 12 months they grow up, the second year the "grow out" and mature. However Maxine behaved like a puppy until she was 12 years old. So depending on what definition you are looking for.

Their joints are usually fully developed by 18 months.

I think the general consensus once a dog is two it is considered an "adult"

Ann

·
Retired Apache Pilot
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the excuse. . .

My guy is around 18 months and i'm just starting to consider him NOT a puppy. I've seen a big growth in maturity in the past 9 months and although he still has his puppy antics at times, he's more of an adult now. You'll probably notice the same difference in the next 9 months.
I enjoy using the excuse, "He is just a puppy" when he jumps on people, or mouths their hands.

I just did not know if there was an official age when they are considered "Young Adults."

He is still full of puppy antics, but we do see some changes in his behavior more like you would see in a young teen.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Timber at 13 months is still definitely a puppy!!!
As much as I love this "puppy" time - I do look forward to a more "calmer" time in our lives - if that ever happens :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 year :)

At 1 year old puppies are considered adult dogs. By that time they are only seeing a vet for yearly vaccinations and check ups. However, with goldens they retrain a lot of puppy like qualities well into adult hood... often not settling down until around 2-3 years old.

Our pup Bailey is 6 months old and is very relaxed. She loves to run and play but would prefer to just lay beside me. So part of the maturity of the dog is less in age and more in general temperament.

It is so important for your dog to have training early on because otherwise you will have a full grown golden jumping up on people and chewing stuff since they stay puppy like for quite a while.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I think at a year they're not really puppies anymore, but it's not until 2 that you can really consider a dog to be an adult. They're mostly physically mature a while before that, but OFA won't certify joints until then, and a dog is still really growing into himself until then.

Plus, they don't typically mature mentally until around then either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts