Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer, Cassie learned that she loves to swim. So much so, that I can't let her off leash near the pool, otherwise she WILL jump in.

I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to water temperatures. Once the water temp goes below 75°F, I'm done. I'll sit at the side and stick my feet in, but that's about it.

Cassie on the other hand will probably want to go swimming, regardless of the temperature. I'm worried that she might not tell me when the water is too cold.

Should I also limit her swim time as the water gets cooler?

(I should note, after swimming, I always rinse her off with the hose, and then towel her off. I do have a blow dryer if need be as well)

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I don't plan on limiting Molly's swimming unless it is snowing or windy, but I live in Seattle and it doesn't get TOO cold. It will definitely get too cold for you to rinse her with a hose though. You may need to rinse her in the tub when it gets too cold.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Guess it depends on where you live. We live in Phoenix, so its probablynever too cold for a golden to swim :), but if you're in Alaska or Minnesota or something, I'd think if it was freezing that'd be too cold! :)

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Only too cold if the ice is so thick they can't bust through it ;)

When the ocean freezes up, its cold.

Goldens are built for this, ask the hunters in the blinds for hours on end in winter.

I hear you about the 75°, numbing to me any less than that too.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Only too cold if the ice is so thick they can't bust through it ;)

When the ocean freezes up, its cold.

Goldens are built for this, ask the hunters in the blinds for hours on end in winter.

I hear you about the 75°, numbing to me any less than that too.
OMG that's the ocean ?? I had not idea the ocean would freeze over, well maybe at the North pole !!
My dogs would swim with the lake partially frozen over but always came out shivering. I don't let them go in water much colder than 55 degrees any more.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
OMG that's the ocean ?? I had not idea the ocean would freeze over, well maybe at the North pole !!
My dogs would swim with the lake partially frozen over but always came out shivering. I don't let them go in water much colder than 55 degrees any more.
Yep, that is the ocean. In truth a bay area but still completely salt water. Fiona can walk on water at our fresh water bass fishing pond. Here she is looking for the fishes :D

And pleased she could walk on water like a Golden god ;)

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
That picture of the ocean is so amazing!! I think our water in WA is almost as cold as it is in Maine, but the weather is much more mild. Just love those pictures of Fiona! Sometimes in the winter, when it was snowing, I would walk Max on the beach. I rarely walked him on leash, and sometimes before I knew it he would be up to his belly in the water! I wouldn't let him swim if it was colder than 40. As he got older (about the last 3 years), I'd only let him swim in a bay where it was safer and warmer.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
These dogs are built for cold water...both Sammie & Woody love playing in the river with snow on the ground. And when they got out is was always a good roll in the snow as only a golden can...

And here's the other picture I was looking for of Sammie sitting on an ice shelf she had swum out to...

Pete

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So yeah, and here I am thinking the 50 degree winters here in central Florida were going to be too cold for Cassie! :)

Looks like I don't have to worry about saying 'no' to Cassie when she whimpers and stares at the pool.

Love all those pictures. Nice to see Cassie isn't the only one who loves to swim :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My guys go in the ocean in Maine in February....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Glad I read this post. I would have been a total wimp and not let Sadie swim all winter. But I guess it really doesn't matter.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,511 Posts
So yeah, and here I am thinking the 50 degree winters here in central Florida were going to be too cold for Cassie! :)

Looks like I don't have to worry about saying 'no' to Cassie when she whimpers and stares at the pool.

Love all those pictures. Nice to see Cassie isn't the only one who loves to swim :)

In FLA, cold weather is the best time to swim a dog. The gators aren't active. :D

·
Confused Member
487 Posts
My pool is at 71 degrees, and as long as the sun is out, I've been able to stand it. My wife bought my son a used wet suit so he could swim for PE, since he is home schooled.

As far as my area, the water never gets too cold.

Winter is a nice time because almost nobody goes to our spot on the American River. Bo does not care, but it's nice for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In Colorado I take the dogs to Cherry Creek reservoir almost every week in the winter and let them run in the creek for a 1/2 hour or so.

They love it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Molly doesn't seem bothered by the cold water here in winter at all, she still jumps into frozen puddles and streams and seems totally unbothered by the fact it's FREEZING!! I do make sure Molly is hosed off of mud when we get home (hubby yesterday installed a hot/cold mixer tap ouside so Molly can have a warm outdoor shower instead of the cold hose) and then she is thoroughly towel dried and brough into a warm house free of drafts so that she can warm up and dry off. Please be careful of frozen ponds and rivers, every winter we hear stories of dogs falling through ice. They usually get themselves out but often the owners get into trouble by trying to go in and rescue them. When we're near a frozen pond or river in winter Molly is on leash for her and my safety. Our weather isn't cold enough to make the ice solid and thick so easy to walk on it and fall through.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts