Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... how do I know if it's an ear infection or not?

I noticed that Molson was scratching his ear a little more than normal this week and when I cleaned it out today it was full of gunk. I usually clean his ears out about every 1 - 2 weeks and have seen the same amount/type of gunk before but he hadn't scratched it more than normal unlike this time. For the first (last) ear infection that he had, I brought him to the vet who gave us some medication for his ears. Is there anyway to tell between an ear infection and an ear that just needs cleaning?

Should I put some of the medication in if he's still itching it tomorrow?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would start cleaning his ears more often to see if it helps. He might have an ear infection so having it checked out might not be a bad idea. My Pawley has gunk in his ears all the time and we fight ear infections.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Mad has very gunky ears, kind of a dark gunk, but she's never had an ear infection. Sometimes she scratches a little more than usual. I usually clean her ears twice a week.

I remember when my husky had a few ear infections there was a different odor to her ears than when they just needed cleaning. Also, she scratched significantly more and would shake her head a bit.

Do you remember how he acted on his first one?

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you remember how he acted on his first one?
For his first one, the only thing I remember was him scratching a little bit more than normal. He didn't have the dark brownish gunk in his ears though. He seems to be better today than yesterday, so hopefully it was just a matter of needing a good cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts