Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night, things got a bit too quiet. If you've had kids, you know that scenario. Next thing, we hear a quiet chewing sound. While Kona's been really good about not chewing, a small floormat is the one exception. Not vigorous chewing (which Kona is definitely capable of), but just a low-key chewing (like she knows she shouldn't).

Anyone else have a "too much like kids" thing their golden does?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Actually the "too quiet" was discussed yesterday here, exactly like the kids, there is the regular quiet and then there is the "too quiet" that you know you should go and look...
Yesterday too quiet from Addy's room made me go and look, there she was sitting on her bed looking very lady like, with two different shoes, one on each side of her about foot away, having one of those,
THIS IS BOUND to get me SOME attention, when I peeked in the tail went overtime, pure joy :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Mine is still in adolescence I guess -- not sure when that ends. I think at one year. Anyway, he's ten and a half months and if he gets really frustrated with me (not often), he talks back. lolol It's usually when I am reiterating he is not allowed to do something he's really determined to do. I've never had one do this, but he will put his chin up a bit and "talk" -- he makes some pretty funny sounds when he's telling me off. He's definitely telling me what he thinks. 😅

He did it yesterday for the first time in about a month. I thought he was through it, but not quite yet. I try not to laugh, but it's so cute.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh yes.
We call it the 'naughty silence' - both for kids and dogs.
3 days ago after dinner (Charlie Bigham's macaroni cheese) everything was too quiet.... Then there was a strange, muffled, gentle tapping sound...
We couldn't work out what it was. Then we noticed that Scott wasn't with us in the living room as he usually is.
A check of the kitchen found that he'd done something he never" does.
He'd raided the kitchen foot pedal bin (it must have been fractionally open) and was licking out the remaining cheese sauce from the food packaging.
But very, very quietly. (Shhhh......)
It was the quiet and stealthy behaviour that gave him away...
🙄

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ha ha this so funny.
As in the last couple weeks we have had a couple laughs and jokes from
strangers that our dog looks like as much work as kids.
Sometimes after a really enjoyable beach walk somewhere more remote Teddy resists going back into the Camper Van. All that fun and excitement sends him loopy and he doesn’t want it to end. So my hubby has to pick him up like a baby to put him in the van. He provides much entertainment at these times for those in the car park!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As another "too much like a kid" trait...

Kona has an uncanny ability to get into exactly what we don't want her too. It's not an obedience thing, it's more of a "shoot, who left that there?" thing. It's been a looooong time since our sons were young enough that we needed to worry about where things were left.

But, now? If it's something we leave within reach, and especially if it's something we shouldn't leave within her reach, Kona will find it. Fortunately, there's no malice in her actions. So, almost every time she'll come bouncing up to me with a "look what I found!" expression on her mug. 😁 A gentle "drop it" (albeit, many times, with some gentle prying) and the offending item is returned, as often as not for a small treat (I sometimes feel guilty for giving her kibble as a "treat"). :unsure:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Too much like a kid....
Getting into trouble destroying the garden.....
Knocking himself out with efforts and falling asleep amongst the ‘evidence’ with his co-conspirator his teddy bear.....
More garden destruction....proudly showing off his efforts and turning it into improtu fancy dress costume

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too much like a kid....
Getting into trouble destroying the garden.....
Knocking himself out with efforts and falling asleep amongst the ‘evidence’ with his co-conspirator his teddy bear.....
More garden destruction....proudly showing off his efforts and turning it into improtu fancy dress costume
Those pictures are quite precious, especially the one with the teddy bear.

As an FYI...

I showed these to my better half, and she is concerned that those plants are hydrangea. If so, chewing on the leaves and buds could cause issues for your pooch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Those pictures are quite precious, especially the one with the teddy bear.

As an FYI...

I showed these to my better half, and she is concerned that those plants are hydrangea. If so, chewing on the leaves and buds could cause issues for your pooch.
Oh thanks for the info. Yes they are hydrangeas! 😬 they are the only plant/bush in the garden he is intent on destroying!
Oh I’ll google the issue with hydrangeas. Might need to dig it out quick then. Bought the house end of last year and was already there.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
Since you took the time-and-effort to spam onto a completely unrelated thread (which I started as a minor amusement), I'm going to take a few moments to respond.

First, every other breeder on this site (and, many others, if you take the time to read about how much difficulty folks are having finding well-bred golden retriever puppies) has zero need to spam a site trying to sell their puppies. In fact, most have the exact opposite issue. They have too many people asking for puppies that they don't have. So, the very fact that you're on here spamming your information makes me question your program.

Second, AKC papers mean little, especially with golden retrievers. The breeders I have come across that truly have well-bred golden retrievers have the information for the sires and dams posted so that health certifications and pedigrees can be verified (not to mention the notion that litters tend to be spoken for before they're even born). I checked your site, and nothing but warm-and-fuzzy words-and-pictures. The sad reality is that, with all of the health issues associated with the breed, buying a purebred golden retriever without having clear health histories in the pedigree is a bit like buying a land mine. Breeders that spend the time-and-effort to make sure that litters are being bred in accordance with the Code of Ethics as defined by the Golden Retriever Club of America are rightfully proud of their efforts, and make it easy to verify their compliance.

Third, yes, the puppies are cute. They are, after all, goldens. That has nothing to do with your program. That is something that goldens bring to the table, and you seem to be capitalizing on that. The fact that you have a silver medallion from the AKC is, I assume, laudable. But, absent demonstrated compliance to the GRCA CoE, as a minimum, I question how many other CoE-compliant breeders are going to green-light your efforts.

Last (I could go on, but this has to stop somewhere), "designer puppies"? I read this and immediately though, "oh man, this person has zero clue what they've just stepped into". You might as well have advertised for "Porsche Dealership and Chop Shop". The two just don't go together.

Good luck, I have a feeling you're going to need it. On "the plus side", at least you're not asking "quality puppy" prices.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since you took the time-and-effort to spam onto a completely unrelated thread (which I started as a minor amusement), I'm going to take a few moments to respond.

First, every other breeder on this site (and, many others, if you take the time to read about how much difficulty folks are having finding well-bred golden retriever puppies) has zero need to spam a site trying to sell their puppies. In fact, most have the exact opposite issue. They have too many people asking for puppies that they don't have. So, the very fact that you're on here spamming your information makes me question your program.

Second, AKC papers mean little, especially with golden retrievers. The breeders I have come across that truly have well-bred golden retrievers have the information for the sires and dams posted so that health certifications and pedigrees can be verified (not to mention the notion that litters tend to be spoken for before they're even born). I checked your site, and nothing but warm-and-fuzzy words-and-pictures. The sad reality is that, with all of the health issues associated with the breed, buying a purebred golden retriever without having clear health histories in the pedigree is a bit like buying a land mine. Breeders that spend the time-and-effort to make sure that litters are being bred in accordance with the Code of Ethics as defined by the Golden Retriever Club of America are rightfully proud of their efforts, and make it easy to verify their compliance.

Third, yes, the puppies are cute. They are, after all, goldens. That has nothing to do with your program. That is something that goldens bring to the table, and you seem to be capitalizing on that. The fact that you have a silver medallion from the AKC is, I assume, laudable. But, absent demonstrated compliance to the GRCA CoE, as a minimum, I question how many other CoE-compliant breeders are going to green-light your efforts.

Last (I could go on, but this has to stop somewhere), "designer puppies"? I read this and immediately though, "oh man, this person has zero clue what they've just stepped into". You might as well have advertised for "Porsche Dealership and Chop Shop". The two just don't go together.

Good luck, I have a feeling you're going to need it. On "the plus side", at least you're not asking "quality puppy" prices.
I thought that spamming/advertising like Scottpassion has is against the forums rules? But I wasn’t 100% sure. I’ll leave it up to members who know better than me to report Scottpassion or not.
When I read the words ‘designer puppies’ I thought oh no 🤦‍♀️

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I reported it if the report function works. The Mods will decide

·
Premium Member
18,275 Posts
I thought that spamming/advertising like Scottpassion has is against the forums rules? But I wasn’t 100% sure. I’ll leave it up to members who know better than me to report Scottpassion or not.
When I read the words ‘designer puppies’ I thought oh no 🤦‍♀️
Completely against the rules to post puppies for sale. I'm sure it will be removed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts