Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what I can do for my two puppies? They are just now 4 months old. They are 2 brothers from the same litter. They have always been together from the time they were born, so we decided to keep them together.
When I try to give them treats (i.e. soft or crunchy) they always snag it out of my hand just like they had not been fed in a week.
I am not sure if this behavior is just a form of competition between them or a form of aggression.
I know somehow need to stop and correct their snapping. I'm just not sure what to do for them.

Any help or ideas on this would be great.

Thanks.

Steffon

·
Registered
70 Posts
The "leave it" and "take it" commands are extremely useful in this situation. Any puppy obedience class will teach this right away, and there is also much information on the internet. Just type "take it leave it command for dog" into Google.

Sometimes I offer William a treat and he won't even go for it. Then I remember his training and tell him, "take it" and he does. Sometimes he remembers stuff better than I do!

Good luck with your puppy training. Two males from the same litter are going to be quite a challenge (literally to each other). I hope you are planning to get them neutered.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
We did the show and wait.

Do they know how to sit? I think it's a good think to start with.
Once they sit you show them the treat and say "Wait"

You hold the treat with your thumb ring finger and pinky - the other two fingers are a block. So if they go for it without you giving you tap the nose. But always say wait and easy. When they do it right lots of pats and "good boys"

You should prob. do this one on one. If one dog gets it faster bring the other into the loop and they will learn from each other.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I don't think it's aggression or competition, just puppy bad manners. I'd make them sit and wait for a "ok" while also saying "gentle or easy" before allowing them to take the treat.

·
Registered
277 Posts
we secured the treats in our fists, sure they bite and lunge for it but after a while they try differnet behaviours and he started to lightly nibble or lick, we'd say "gentle" then give him the treat. we always say 'gentle' now when handing him something and he takes it with grace.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
I think, like anything, it's just a matter of training. Sophie will look at a treat right in front of her nose until we say "ok" to her. If we are giving her bites of something that she's not made to wait for, we remind her to "Take it nice" and she will take it ever-so-gently from the hand. This is especially helpful for when the kids are feeding her.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
1) Get them into separate puppy socialization classes
2) Get them into separate basic training classes.
3) Make sure they are getting separate walks, separate training times at home, and separate cuddle time. This is not only for the puppy with you at times, but so the other one is learning it's okay to be alone.

When you do training sessions at home, have only one puppy in the room. With more than one present they might get a little competitive and try to get the treat. This can make them take treats rougher.

I would not use punishment or extra words for taking the treat gently. We want the treat to be the cue to take it gently.

Some ways of treat handling:
1) Hold it flat in your hand, like for a horse
2) Hold it between thumb and first finger ("pinchers") and insert into the puppies mouth
3) Toss the treat on the floor or into a bowl!
4) make a circle with your thumb and first finger. The rest of your fingers can make a circle too. Rotate your hand so your fingers make a 'shelf' you can set the treat on. Your thumb-finger circle should be small enough puppy muzzles do not fit in it but puppy tounges do. The puppy licks the treat out.
5) Use canned food or something on a spoon
6) Use canned food/cream cheese/etc on your hand for your puppy to lick off, remember, a tiny bit each time.

You will want them perfect before you start training with them together.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We make our Maggie earn everything she gets. Make your boys sit. I don't know about two at the same time. But we use the word, "easy," when Maggie is too forceful for a treat. We will pull back and make her sit and wait all over again, until she has a less forceful approach. Be patient. This will take time with double the fun you must be having.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.