Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old will Max be when he can become a baby's daddy?

He plays with a girl puppy who is a month younger than him. They still play just fine right now but I am worried about when he will not be able to play with her nicely.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Dogs reach sexual maturity between 6-12 months.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Trace is 20 months old and defers to the girls all the time. He is still so desperate for their attention that he wouldn't dream of playing too rough. When he does push it. They cut him off and refuse to play with him. He is left standing there alone with a crushed look on his face.

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
Are you planning to have him neutered? And will the female be spayed?

You should not have a problem with them playing together as long as she is not in heat. If they are both intact and she goes in heat they should not be together at all.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie was neutered at 19 months and he always played beautifully with females. We only encountered one bitch in heat during that time. Some idiot brought her to the dog park. I clipped the leash on immediately and left. I would say as long as Max is not around a dog in heat, he should be fine.

Before he was neutered, Rookie actually had more problems with other male dogs than he did females. Some males, especially intact ones, just didn't like him. He's a total pushover, so it never turned into a big deal because he wasn't the type of dog to react aggressively. But I did keep a careful eye out on his interactions with other intact males. I think it depends a bit on your dog's personality as well.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Max is not "altered" and neither is the other one. How can you tell when a girl doggy is in heat? When she is not in heat but mature can they be around each other? My friend says she is not planning to get her doggy spayed. I am not planning on getting Max neutered until he is between 18 months and 2 years.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rookie was neutered at 19 months and he always played beautifully with females. We only encountered one bitch in heat during that time. Some idiot brought her to the dog park. I clipped the leash on immediately and left. I would say as long as Max is not around a dog in heat, he should be fine.

Before he was neutered, Rookie actually had more problems with other male dogs than he did females. Some males, especially intact ones, just didn't like him. He's a total pushover, so it never turned into a big deal because he wasn't the type of dog to react aggressively. But I did keep a careful eye out on his interactions with other intact males. I think it depends a bit on your dog's personality as well.
Just reread this...okay he will be fine. But I don't know how to tell if a girl dog is in heat... She will be under a year when it happens the first time. This girl dog is my best friends dog and our dogs have always played together - they are like best buds too. I really really don't want an "oops" with her being so young that couldn't be a good thing. :(

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I don't have a female, so other than the spotting, I don't really know what to look for. But if your friend has decided not to spay her dog, she must have done some research. I'm sure your friend is planning to isolate her dog when she is in heat. Have you talked to her about it? She should be able to answer your questions... and if she can't... she probably needs to get informed. It's a pretty big responsibility to own a female that is not going to be spayed.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I don't have a female, so other than the spotting, I don't really know what to look for. But if your friend has decided not to spay her dog, she must have done some research. I'm sure your friend is planning to isolate her dog when she is in heat. Have you talked to her about it? She should be able to answer your questions... and if she can't... she probably needs to get informed. It's a pretty big responsibility to own a female that is not going to be spayed.
I agree with this entire post. Please be very careful with those 2 unaltered dogs!!!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She says she's never spayed any of her dogs, and isn't planning to do it this time around. Her other girl dog did have some puppies but I don't think she is thinking along those lines - maybe it's a money thing for right now. I know though, I'm not going to move my boys schedule up for that convenience. Thanks for the tips so far!!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
She should know how to tell if she's had intact girls before. There is a musky smell I can smell the second I get near the dog. There is swelling, and there is discharge. It's impossible to miss IMO. Your boy will go insane, too, at the mere sight of her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts